I was browsing through some scales and I cam across what is called a Neutral Pentonic. Anyone have an idea what music these are used in?
Run!
-----------------------------------------------------------
Simply, the world was too small for a man of his ambition.
Quote by ifeastonbums
GuitarSymphony you are my hero!
Well it was seperate from a major pentonic scale. So they may not be the case.
Run!
Quote by ifeastonbums
Never heard of it. Can you post a link to the site you found it on. I would be inclined to say it's minor pentatonic since it works over both major and minor keys... but like I said, I've never heard of it before.
It's possible that it's similar to a whole tone scale because I've heard of that scale as being neutral but i think the whole-tone scale is hexatonic, not sure though.
I got it off of a very trust worthy site. Check it out.

Key of A
|------------------------------------5--7------
|------------------------------5--8------------
|------------------------4--7------------------
|------------------5--7------------------------
|------------5--7------------------------------
|------5--7------------------------------------
Run!
Quote by ifeastonbums
the one you just posted is Major pendatony D scale
this scale is usually played in blues music
try improvising in it.. you'll see
Post a link to this trustworthy site. There are lots of trustworthy sites (this one, for example) loaded with tons of incorrect information (this forum, for example).
It's probably neutral because it contains no third in A.

The notes are A, B, D, E, G. In the key of A, that is root, major 2nd, perfect 4th, perfect 5th, minor 7th.

I don't know the function of a nuetral pentatonic, except maybe it would work well over a sus chord.
Quote by psychodelia
It's probably neutral because it contains no third in A.

The notes are A, B, D, E, G. In the key of A, that is root, major 2nd, perfect 4th, perfect 5th, minor 7th.

I don't know the function of a nuetral pentatonic, except maybe it would work well over a sus chord.

awesome thanks!
Run!
Quote by ifeastonbums
Quote by Drone_
the one you just posted is Major pendatony D scale
No.

1 2 4 5 b7 1
A B D E G A

The scale you posted has the same notes as the G Major Pentatonic Scale and the E Minor Pentatonic Scale. But the root note is A.

You can use it over both major and minor triads as well as m7 and dom7 chords.
god of wonders uses this scale in the solo and it is over sus chords!!!sweet i can improvise to this song now
Definitely a good "sus" chord scale.

(Just thought I'd chime in )
Looking for my India/Django.
5-7
5-7
5-7

isnt that the friggin egyptian scale....??

and isnt minor pentatonic neutral enuff? geez guys. laaaazzzeeeyyyyy
Why are we over-thinking it here? It's just the 3rd position of the minor pent scale.
What matters is the chord it's being used over. In the instance described in GuitarSymphony's post, it does not have a minor third that is played over the chord.
i'm a tad bit confused with all this other theory stuff going on. I'm still kinda learning my theory and u guys are shooting' out terms I have no idea what they mean. So, I'm just gonna go with "They work over 'sus' chords". Thanks anyways guys
Run!
Quote by ifeastonbums
It's the third position of the pentatonic. I think it's usually just called "the third mode of the pentatonic scale."
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
It's the third position of the pentatonic. I think it's usually just called "the third mode of the pentatonic scale."

A third position yea, but is major? is it minor? what music do i use it in? All I know it is for "sus" chords.
Run!
Quote by ifeastonbums
In this instance, we are using the third position, but we are considering the 4th of the pentatonic minor to be the root. Using the scale built from that root, it becomes 1, 2, 4, 5, b7. If it were the minor pentatonic, it would go 1, b3, 4, 5, b7. So if we compare these two scales both starting on A, the minor pentatonic would work well over Am(7) and could give a bluesier feel to A(7). The neutral pentatonic could work over either Am7 or A7, but it would probably sound a bit boring because of the lack of emphasis on the third. If you had Asus, however, there would be a 4th instead of a 3rd, and the neutral pentatonic has the 4th, as well as a bunch of safer notes to use.
I'd like to know how to read that chart on the website he posted.....i know my notes on the guitar but i have a Very limited understanding of Theory i can read music but yet that chart with a billion notes doesnt make sense to me
Quote by GuitarSymphony
A third position yea, but is major? is it minor? what music do i use it in? All I know it is for "sus" chords.

It would most likely imply minor, being built off the 2nd degree of the major pentatonic (i.e. Dorian). However, you could play it over major chords, dom7's, min7's, minor chords, maj6, min6, etc. as well.

-SD