i have a couple of blues guitar questions:

1. what are some good blues chord progressions to solo over?

2. what are some good blues scales?

3. what are some good blues effects to use to get a real "bluesy sound"
1. Usually it's a major chord progression. But I can't really think one other then the infamous one that goes like this

repeat a bunch of times
|---------------------------------------------------
|---------------------------------------------------
|--------------------------------------------------
|--22--44---------------------------------------
|--22--44----------------------------------------
|--00--00----------------------------------------

2. Minor Pentonic is always the go.

3. what do u mean by effects? pedals? or phrasings?
Run!
-----------------------------------------------------------
Simply, the world was too small for a man of his ambition.
Quote by ifeastonbums
GuitarSymphony you are my hero!
Well, its nine out of ten times the standard I-IV-V progression, but there are a lot of things that can spice it up. Boogie woogie as stated above, go SRV style like on Pride and Joy, use seventh, ninth or thirteenth chords for a different flavor...play with it.

You can use overdrive to get a nice mean sound, again, ala SRV.
Best blues guitar sound, to me, has a lot of body, a touch of reverb, and is very pick sensitive, meaning that you'll get dirty if you dig in, but it gets sparkly cleans if you lighten up. And Jehuty's right with the I-IV-V chord progression thing, although a lot of times they're based around dominant 7 chords more than straight up major chords. Check out the primer on Blues guitar in the lessons section.
Hi, I'm Peter
1. look up the 12 bar blues in some of the lessons here, its a great place to start with the blues. as you might be able to tell from the name, its a 12 bar pattern that many blues songs follow. the basic is something like this:
I I I I
IV IV I I
V IV I I
there are many variations on that pattern, but thats a good place to start. try this lesson

2. the blues scale is good for blues, as is the pentatonic (minor and major). i would start with those at first.

3. i would say that a good start for blues effects is a mild overdrive and a bit of reverb. not much overdrive though, you just want to get a bit of drive past the clean sound.
1.The I,IV,V progression is standard operating procedure for the blues.

2. The Minor Pentatonic, Dominant, Throw in some chromatics here and there.

3. Try a bit of over drive and the wah pedal is great. You can learn a thing or two from Roy Buchanan if you want to expand your vocabulary a bit.
UG Blues Mafia
Founding Members: Forklifterer, Steve Cropper, Crzyrckgtrst28, and TNfootballfan62

Member of the Anti-Whammy-Bar-Solo Club
There is a very nice sounding "blues scale" its exactly like the Minor Pentatonic, although it has an extra note, the intervals are thus:

3st-2st-1st-1st-3st-2st

Whereas the actual Minor Pentatonic is only:

3st-2st-2st-3st-2st

The blues scale was used alot by Led Zeppelin, especially in HeartBreaker.

Quote by Robbie n strat
In the changing rooms we'd all jump around so our dicks and balls bounced all over the place, which we found hilarious.

Little children should be felt, not heard.
^and every other song... lol.

What does "3st" refer to? "3 half steps"? I would assume so... your interval convention is strange to me, I just need some clarification.
Looking for my India/Django.
^ i think st stands for semi-tones. so 3st means three semi-tones and 2st means two semi-tones. confused the hell outa me too the first time i read it.
Quote by redwing_suck
^and every other song... lol.

What does "3st" refer to? "3 half steps"? I would assume so... your interval convention is strange to me, I just need some clarification.

Aww, sorry mate, yeah "semi-tones" is st and its a half step. Stupid English crap Im afraid.

Quote by Robbie n strat
In the changing rooms we'd all jump around so our dicks and balls bounced all over the place, which we found hilarious.

Little children should be felt, not heard.
*smacks self*

figured out the acronym not seconds after i posted...
Looking for my India/Django.