If I'm in Open G tuning on the guitar ( DGDGBD ) then what chords are produced by barring 2nd fret, 3rd fret, 5th fret, 7th fret and 12th fret? (I'm guessing 12th and Open are G)...

Only cos I've written a slide song in Open G and I'd like to know the names of the chords in it....

Cheers.
since the blues mafia wont have me

founding member of ug blues rock and southern rock mafia pm me to join
I never did open chord tunings, but it looks like if you were to barre the 1st fret, then you'd get Ab major, 2nd would be A major, 3rd Bb major, 4th B major, 5th C major, 6th C# major, 7th D major, 8th Eb major, 9th E major, 10th F major, 11th F# Major
"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." JOHN 3:16 NIV
If you play with the 5th string in the bass:

Open = Gmaj
2nd fret = Amaj
3rd fret = Bbmaj
5th fret = Cmaj
7th fret = Dmaj
12th fret = Gmaj

If you play with the 6th string in the bass, the fifth of all the chords will be the lowest note:

Open = Gmaj/D
2nd fret = Amaj/E
3rd fret = Bbmaj/F
5th fret = Cmaj/G
7th fret = Dmaj/A
12th fret = Gmaj/D
viciodk could you try to explain that in simpler terms... like what you mean by "if you play with the sixth string in the bass"

Quote by onenakfaplease
viciodk could you try to explain that in simpler terms... like what you mean by "if you play with the sixth string in the bass"

What he means by that:

If you play with the 5th string in the bass:

Open = Gmaj
2nd fret = Amaj
3rd fret = Bbmaj
5th fret = Cmaj
7th fret = Dmaj
12th fret = Gmaj
If you just barre the strings up to the fifth (not playing on the sixth string), you'll get those. If you include the sixth string, you'll get the others.
Ok and when he says like "Dmaj/A" for example, which of those two chords is it; Dmajor or A?

It's a Dmaj chord with the root of A. It's the Dmaj shape and sound with the lowest note being A, basically.
fantastic thank you

I though open G was GBDGBD?
UG Blues Mafia
Founding Members: Forklifterer, Steve Cropper, Crzyrckgtrst28, and TNfootballfan62

Member of the Anti-Whammy-Bar-Solo Club
It doesn't look like it would matter too much, since you'd get similar results from either of those two tunings. The point is that both of those tunings use the G major triad: GBD

I guess if you wanted more of a low-end sound you'd do the GBDGBD.
"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." JOHN 3:16 NIV
Quote by God withus
I guess if you wanted more of a low-end sound you'd do the GBDGBD.

Good luck trying to tune that, if low end is what you're looking for I have a seven string guitar, and once I tried (for fun of course, a seven string is low enough as it is) to tune it down so I could have a low G (to double some country licks in G). I never succeeded in it.. hmm, how can that be
The "Popped Collar" Award(Sexiest)
Elvenkindje

The "Rest In Real Life" Award(Best Past MT Mod)
Elvenkindje