So ive been playing guitar for about 5 years now and im 16, and im generally quite tall and have big feet and consequently, big hands. Now ive always been fine with fitting my fingers on the fretboard and i still am...i think, but being only 16, my hands could grow more already having hands 20 cm long from bottom of palm to top of finger, and finger width for middle finger 1.75 com across, if they get any bigger, i might not be able to play guitar as well

So i was wondering if anyone else has big hands and fairly chunky fingers? do you manage well with guitar? Im trying to speed up at the moment and know a few shred licks, so will big hands stop me from playing?

Thanks a lot guys.
"suicide hotline, please hold......."
mmm, but they have really skinny fingers dont they?
i dont know... chuck barry had HUGE hands...

they might a bit, but if you keep on practising, and not giving up you should be able to play as fast as the "other guy" with small hands, you also can span your hand further, and play more chords, and do larger pulloffs ie 12p17, 12p18 12p19?

scallopped frets are suppose to make you play slower... did that stop yngwie? no way, he practised, and practised, and now he is/was the fastest guitar player in the world...

you shouldnt judge a man by the size of his hands, but by the amount of effort and practise hes going to put something...
^ yngwie isn't the fastest player in the world.
My Gear-
Gibson SG Junior
52' Hot Rod Tele
American Deluxe Strat
Yamaha Cg-104
Fender Twin (white)
Boss CH1
Boss OC-3
DOD overdrive
Fulltone OCD
Arbiter Fuzz Face
Vox Wah
BBE Sonic Stomp
Dunlop Univibe
Quote by happymadison45
you know what they say about big hands...

nice cuticles but ya these people generally have skinny fingers but big hands wont stop you from playing faster, it may get hard to play around the top frets though as tehy are smaller
cheers zeppelin, yeah, i kinda find it harder to do chromatic runs around the top of the neck, but i suppose it dosent really matter as you said. Cheers dudes.
B.B. King had fat fingers, You can kinda hear it in his playing. Let's not forget Tony Iommi who lost his fingers and then kinda made new ones.
Run!
-----------------------------------------------------------
Simply, the world was too small for a man of his ambition.
Quote by ifeastonbums
GuitarSymphony you are my hero!
Quote by GuitarSymphony
B.B. King had fat fingers, You can kinda hear it in his playing. Let's not forget Tony Iommi who lost his fingers and then kinda made new ones.

explain that Iommi part for me, please...

I'm rather tall too (17 yo) and yeah I have had the problem of fretting too far when, for example playing 12th fret and then 15th fret. So sometimes I hit 16th fret accidently...but practice can solve all these problems.

@ Danno : Did you join this forum when you were 13?
No worries bro, my hands are about the same size as yours (19cm long by 2cm wide) and it doesn't slow me down.
You're generally quite tall? Do you vary in height or something?

Edit: Having now read your post I can say that this isn't a problem, my hand is 22cm long and my middle finger is 2cm wide and I have no problem playing.

Edit #2: Check out the size of Buckethead's fingers.
Last edited by Ashdown at Jun 7, 2006,
fat fingers = fat overall?
[img]http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/9672/stevevaisigver24vf.jpg[/img]
Just an influence.
I'm only 12 stone lol

Edit: 168 pounds for the less geographically fortunate.

(edited to avoid being countryist)
Quote by Ashdown
I'm only 12 stone lol

Edit: 168 pounds for the yanks.

lol, kind of confused there for a second, i was like he weights 12 stones... thats helpful. what unit of measurement is that anyways?
Great you quoted me now everyone can see my flagrant coutryistism

Edit: I don't know what stone is but we use it and it's great.
Quote by Ashdown
You're generally quite tall? Do you vary in height or something?

Edit: Having now read your post I can say that this isn't a problem, my hand is 22cm long and my middle finger is 2cm wide and I have no problem playing.

Edit #2: Check out the size of Buckethead's fingers.

whats the name of that song he playing?
Gear:
PRS Custom SE
Shit Strat
line6 spider II 112 (worst choice of my life)
Squier 10 watt (sounds better than the spider)
Digitech rp200
Rocktron Silver Dragon

Quote by FretboardToAsh
he's right, and he plays prs so that's proof.
Quote by Ashdown
I'm only 12 stone lol

Edit: 168 pounds for the less geographically fortunate.

(edited to avoid being countryist)

what about giving the weight in kilograms? some countries like australia have steped out of the dark ages by discontinuing imperial measurements
76.2 Kilograms
747.3 Newtons
1.26 Picul
2016 Tael
8415 Duella
107600 Obol
13440 Beka

Wouldn't want to forget anyone
Hey man, I think with enough practice, you can sound fine. For example, I saw this one shredder who had these downsized, mutated hands that bent inward, but this guy played faster than me by far! You'll overcome it, trust me.
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
Quote by Ashdown
76.2 Kilograms
747.3 Newtons
1.26 Picul
2016 Tael
8415 Duella
107600 Obol
13440 Beka

Wouldn't want to forget anyone

What about lbs? I demand reparitions!
my father has unusually thick fingers, the man always frets two strings with one finger no matter how hard he tries. Needless to say he's gonna stick with playing the acoustic.
ahhh, so there are fellow chunky fingered players out there!

ahh, relief.

and stones is an imperial unit of measurement, each stone has 14 pounds in, each pound has...so many ounces in...i dunno.