Page 1 of 2

Here they are with one coat each of KTM9. The yellow one will end up as a darkburst wiht a dark back and the goldtop will also get a dark back. The blue top will just get another 10 coats of clear.

"The most important thing is to learn how to play the guitar before you get 50,000 dollars worth of complicated gear" -Slash

Not a member of any clubs. Don't PM me.
They look good so far.
Fender American Deluxe V-Neck Strat
Laguna LG300CE Acoustic Electric
Zepplin, those are all from scratch. My first but most certainly not my last!

Teleprompter, I first routed a rabbet (rabbit?) around the edge of each top to get a uniform depth. Then I used a disk sander on a drill (40 gritt) to carve up to the middle having already planed the neck angle and pickup planes onto the top. I followed that up with a random orbintal sander (100, 150, 220) and block sanding with 220 by hand.

Edit: I'd hardly call myself a luthier, but thanks!
"The most important thing is to learn how to play the guitar before you get 50,000 dollars worth of complicated gear" -Slash

Very nice; how are you hanging them?
primusfan
It's better with no teeth, trust me. Much fewer scars on my penis now that I've switched from seniors in high school to senior citizens.
Quote by Hypnot1st
Very nice, what brand are they and how are you hanging them?

Large hooks in the ceiling, zip ties, and a foot and a half of chain. These things are NOT falling. Oh, and theres a closed eye hook where the strap button will go.

Whoa, really good job... amazing job i should say, look just like a gibson les paul, probably alot better too...

how much does it cost you to makes those beauties?
Thanks Zep. I haven't kept a running total of all the little things but the supplies (not including tools) for the three will probably cost me a little less than one Gibson.

A rabbet is a ledge around side that's an even width and depth. Here's an example:

I'll try to post other pictures later.

^Nice man! Good to have you back on UG
And sweet guitars d00d. You're the next AlGee!
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
^ I like the way you talk Mascot, you get straight to the point

but pickups are you planning to put on those guitars?
Finish looks alright, but your neck joint is insane, I personally wouldn't call that easy fret access, esp. on a lp. Nor would I call your neck joint orthodox. Personally I don't like it very much, good job though. Is that why you left ug for a couple months?

btw, Algee says good luck
Last edited by kaplac at Jun 7, 2006,
its not a bolt on neck, its a set neck, its a lot easier to glue in a smaller neck than a huge gigantic one, baseball man, do you get your wood locally cuz im not too far from you and i cant find a good local place for wood

EDIT:ive always ordered mine off the net, trying to find one local? any ideas???
I wish I had enough money to make my own LP. I've loved every one that I've played. I think I might just settle with an Agile.

EDIT: Good job, btw. Quick question Mr. Baseball: What the hell does your avatar mean?
Thanks for the comments guys.

Let's cover the neck joint first. The one on the yellow top, the only joint you can see, is actually carved away a bit. The angle makes it look big, but it's actually MUCH smaller than a normal LP joint. I'll try to get a better shot of it at some point. The neck joints on the other two are exactly how Gibson does it except that they don't come down all the way to the bottom of the body (seemed overkill to me). It's marginally better than a Gibson but not really significant. Certainly no worse.

Kaplac, tell him thanks - I'll need it!

I ordered a set of zebra Swineshead Runaways for the one I'm keeping for sure (the yellow top). The other two will probably be either GFS or Golden Age (nickle covers).

Schecter, I got all my wood online. Some was from ebay seller "thoag" and the maple was from 3dhardwoods.

Ironflippy, it's a baseball thing...you know, the tomohawk chop...it sort of died in the mid 90's though.

Ah, I'm not big into baseball, but I remember now. *pictures huge crowd doing the chop* hehehe.

Are the GFS humbuckers worth replacing a stock pup for, or should I stick with going for a Bill Lawrence L-500?
Dunno, haven't used 'em!

Aye, I would have kept the yellow one too. Show us the tops on those in the sun or something - it's so dark, I can't see the detail.
Sprayed the burst today. I'll follow it up with 5 coats of clear tomorrow and then let them hang. The picture makes the burst look a little lopsided but I promise you it's not. I'm absolutely stoked about the way it came out. Obviously the bindings still need to be scraped. I tried to get a good picture of the carved neck joint but it was too dark. I did get a picture of the neck joint on the blue top though. Enjoy!

Here's a picture of the Gibson Neal Schon sig LP with virtually the same neck joint I used.

Loving the burst!

What do you think of the KTM-9? How is to spray and such, what dyes/tints are you using?
On the LMI site it says there may be problems with sinking at glue joints when using titebond, has this been a problem for you?

Sorry for all the questions, but i'm looking into spraying KTM-9 on my guitars as nitro is hard to come by down here in oz.
I'm absolutely loving the KTM9. It flows out as well as nitro, hardens fairly quickly (I recoat every hour), sands easily, and best of all won't blow up the house. I'm tinting it with colortone dyes from Stewmac. It's probably too soon to know about the sinking glue joints, but a lot of my exposed (sloppy) joints were done with epoxy. Speaking of which, I grainfilled the mahogany with Stewmac's quick setting epoxy and it worked really well. I could easily get away with just four coats of clear over it. I should have used sanding sealer on the maple though - it's really soaking up the finish. Oh well!

One final thing about KTM9 is that I'm going to easily finish these three guitars with just one quart and probably have some left over. With nitro, a quart wouldn't get me nearly this far.

Cheers i'll be looking in to it more.
It sounds like a good product, i remember reading that corduroy uses ktm9 as well with good results.
that burst is VERY sweet. great job
Fender blues deluxe and an Epiphone Les paul

Quote by utsapp89
Volume=Emotion.
yeah wow man that burst looks so professional, good thing you are keeping that one one and i believe you said you were putting BK zebra pups in it which will look and sound awesome, is that a back belly contour too?, what are you selling the others for?
Last edited by Teleprompters at Jun 15, 2006,
Yes it's a back contour, all of them have it. I thought it was a nice touch.

The blue one will be sold for as much as I can possibly get for it...I don't really want to name a price yet because I may be setting myself up for disappointment. I'm really digging the goldtop at the moment and may end up keeping that too unless someone offers me a lot for it. I'm really just trying to cover my costs so I can continue doing this.

You just can't handle the truth.

How much you gonna charge? Maybe I'll consider it.
Quote by Mascot
You just can't handle the truth.

How much you gonna charge? Maybe I'll consider it.

No, it's not that I can't handle the truth, it's just that I think it is a very stupid thing to be 'replacing' one of this forums greats who was banned for jack shit with someone who who has not has nearly as much experience. Now, don't get me wrong, I think mnbaseball is very talented, and will have some great work to come, and he has brought alot to this forum, but he is not on level with Chris.

Just wanted to through that out there

EDIT: And I'm going to start my first build shortly with the help of Chris, so I will be the new forum newb.
Page 1 of 2