I'm not a speed player, but have been been trying to perfect my downpicking for a few months now. I can do 180bpm reasonably well (but get tired after a couple minutes and become sloppy). Building more speed has been kind of frustrating, but then I realized there are really no songs I listen to that require constant downpicking at that tempo, except a few oldschool punk tunes here and there. I'm not a big metal guy or speed player, but really like the sound of fast downpicking, especially with little syncopation and accents.

I realize its a matter of opinion, but should I strive to move past 180bpm? Do you guys find yourself playing beyond that tempo in any style of music besides metal and it's many subgenres?

I have a habit of obsessing over certain techniques until I burn out on them.
ive never seen a song besides the intro to master of puppets that requires all downpicking at a fast pace. i would start perfecting picking upwards and then move on to perfecting alternate picking. then sweeping.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Thanks. Actually, MOP is the reason I started this thread. I read about it so much on this board, but I am not much of a Metallica fan. I heard this song last night and didn't think the downpicking was as fast as I thought it would be. Still, it was difficult to tap my finger along to (I didn't have a guitar handy). I downloaded the Guitar Pro file and I am going to see how difficult is is to actually play.

In response to the rest of your post, I am pretty good with my alt picking. I haven't practiced pure upstrokes, even though a lot of people have suggested it. Is there really any practical use for that in songwriting, aside from building solid technique?

I've also spent a lot of time working on my galloping technique as well. I can do that at about 120-150, depending on how much I warmup/buildup to it. I have a lot of work to do there, though.

I see very few threads (and info on the web) in terms of galloping, which is weird because it sounds so awesome. In fact, that's another technique I never seem to come across in the music I listen to, but I really like the technique regardless.
Do you mean, 2 notes every click at 180bpm? coz' that's about my limit at the moment too.
"Be Excellent To Each Other"
Yes, thanks for clarifying. I'm not sure if that's the proper way to measure downpicking speed, but I take 2 notes per click like you mentioned.
i have no clue what galloping is, sorry. but, for the upstrokes, since you practice downpicking so much youre probably very good. but to do alternate picking it requires uppicking. so with my logic, just uppicking for a while will get you better which will improve the alternate picking.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
When saying that you can play something at 180 bpm means in normal terms that you can play sixteenths at 180 bpms which is quite fast. Master of Puppets is sixteenths at 108 bpm so that should not be a problem. However if you only count to strokes a beat then you have some way to go.

Also, on galloping, try and listen to Iron Maiden, the masters of galloping. Playing a galloping rhythm is also reffered to as playing a 'Maiden' rhythm. They almost always do it. (Well at least pretty often)
Quote by Lord Jesus
When saying that you can play something at 180 bpm means in normal terms that you can play sixteenths at 180 bpms which is quite fast. Master of Puppets is sixteenths at 108 bpm so that should not be a problem. However if you only count to strokes a beat then you have some way to go.

Also, on galloping, try and listen to Iron Maiden, the masters of galloping. Playing a galloping rhythm is also reffered to as playing a 'Maiden' rhythm. They almost always do it. (Well at least pretty often)

I've never heard anyone play 16th notes at 180bpm with just downstrokes
"Be Excellent To Each Other"
still, downstrokes at 108 is damn fast, that's like alternate picking 16ths at 216
Yes. In theory, down and upstrokes should be slightly faster than just one or the other - its twice the picking as well as less motion.

The fastest downpicking i've ever heard was The Berzerker on Massacre, where they downpick (syncopated) octaves and powerchords in 16ths at 140bpm. Thats RIDICULOUSLY fast. It sounds awesome though.

If you love downstrokes THAT much, keep at it, but make sure your alternate picking is up to scratch.