Hey guys!

My parenst bought my sister a PRS Soapbar SE a few months ago, but she never got into guitar nearly as much as I have.

So, she has decided to take her guitar, and amp, and trade it in for a bass setup! Why, I don't know, but I'm happy with it as I will now have a bass rig to screw around with!

The stuff traded will be worth about $600+, so I think we should get atleast $400 in direct gear trade (maybe more, I have some connections with the manager, as I buy there all the time!)

So, if you guys could, please recommend me a bass guitar and amp she can get. I have a general idea, but am not nearly as into bass as I am into guitar, so I'm relying on you here! What's the best band for the buck? We don't need a gigging amp...just something that will get us a nice tone for recording atleast!

Thanks for all the help!
$400 for a bass and and amp isn't a midranged rig...

If you don't already know, a 3 pack set of 6 string guitar D'Addario XL' go for $9.99
One pack of D'Addario XL 4 string bass strings go for $20.

One pair of DR Black Beauty guitar strings go for $9.99
One pair of DR Black Beauty 5 string bass strings go for $40.49

Dictator For Life of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Yertle to join.
Last edited by Incubus_SCIENCE at Jun 7, 2006,
Just get her something like a Fender Squier Jazz bass, its pretty cheap and its got a fairly good sound for its price range.
As for an amp, anything small will work. I have a Fender Rumble 15 and it works great. it fills up a room pretty nicely, again, at least for its price.
For recording, I wouldnt suggest recording from an amp. Use an analog cord that can directly connect to your computer, because you get a much clearer sound from it.

EDIT: That will run you about $350. You're gonna need a gig bag, so that'll put you to about $400, so have fun with it.
Quote by Don't Read This
letthebassplay you are now a legend

Quote by StraightxXxEdge
Awesome is a feeling. It's in your pants.

RIP Bellamy...

Calvin and Hobbes Group!
rondomusic.net

get their 100W and an SX jazz bass, you should have enuff money, and you'd be starting off with some quality equip.
I'd sell the stuff on eBay. Guitar Center determines how much to buy your stuff by going online and seeing how much it goes for (say, on eBay), and then taking some percentage, maybe 75%. So you will very likely get at least another $100 if you sell it on eBay.

Then, I suggest buying a used Fender Mexican Jazz bass. Versatile, decent quality, can please almost anybody, so it's hard to go wrong. $300 is a reasonable estimate.

Then get a used combo. 25 watts should be good. Wouldn't be hard to get more if you had another $300 past the cost of the bass. Stay away from Behringer. An SWR Workingman amp might be good.
Computer programmers are loopy.
- That's one of my own!
I'll think about selling privately....in a straight up trade though, and because we bought the guitar from then only a few months ago, I think we might get most of the money back in a trade.

I'll see how it turns out!

Please keep the recommendations coming!

The fender (or squier) jazz bass is a choice.....as are the copies of it at rondomusic. They look great!

What do you guys have to save about the $270 OLP Basses? The cheaper stingrays? The reviews look great!
Why don't you go try some out and check out some prices. Guitar center always has different stuff it's not always the same you know.

I would get something from Rondo. But if you still insist get a squier. GC always has those.
Whatever you do, stay away from squiers with a scratchplate... they break very easilly... go for a MB4 instead... No scratch plate and a more versatile tone than the Jazz or P IMO.

And it's for your sis you say? Get a Daisy Rock
Quote by John Swift
My neighbour bought his son a Mark Hoppus bass for Christmas, the set-up on it was terrible (the neck had so much bow they should have supplid arrows with it).

Its nice to be important, but its important to be nice...
Quote by mangablade
rondomusic.net

get their 100W and an SX jazz bass, you should have enuff money, and you'd be starting off with some quality equip.

+1 Great bass for the price if you're buying online. All it needs is a quick setup. They are better than all of the lowend basses Guitar Center carries.

Dictator For Life of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Yertle to join.