I was at my local guitar shop and was looknig for a slide and there were all kinds some were silver some were brass somewere for acoustic some were for eletric i have an eletric but whats the big differnce between then all and what kind should i get if i just play any kind of rock
just get a normal guitar slide that fits onto you pinky... glass one generally have a better tone, but get lost fast, and break ALOT easier, metal ones dont break, and are easier to pickout... its all matter of preferance though... try out a bunch, and buy the one you like
for slides its all about personal preference, its whatever feels or sounds best to you. You can incorporate slides into most types of music, though it could sound really cool in rock, ive never actually heard it though
Ibanez SAS36FM
VOX AD100VT
Barracuda Stratocaster
Kustom Solo16 amp
Vagabong 6-string Acoustic guitar
Yamaha 12 string Acoustic Guitar
^^ i know this has nothing to do with this, but how did you handmake your pickups???
This is how you keep a blonde busy for hours!
Click Here

Quote by gsr2k6
My gf tryed to click your sig link and then asked me why it wouldnt work .

Oh.. wait....
i find a thick glass one will last you for years and years. i use a dunlop 2-4mm glass slide. has great tone and the sustain is amazing. but i also own a porcelain slide and the sound that comes off that is just amazing . for rock style on an electric, the best bet is to go for brass, the sound is more twangy and treble'y than other slides
Quote by Useful_Idiot16
I would eliminate my penis into threadstarter's mom's mouth.

/thread
Quote by memyselfandjeff
You can incorporate slides into most types of music, though it could sound really cool in rock, ive never actually heard it though

OMG Freebird
Quote by franz.d.
What to change the band name? No way!! We have a kick-ass logo of a washing machine eating guitars and everything!!

Quote by elvenkindje
Lol, when I'm bored I'm gonna try that with regular dice! If I'm famous I'll thank you for it
very true 'hoobariffer87', and countless eagles songs used slide, the allman brothers, some zz top too.. so many rock bands that use it
Quote by Useful_Idiot16
I would eliminate my penis into threadstarter's mom's mouth.

/thread
Quote by AxeAbuser#2
i find a thick glass one will last you for years and years.

yeah unless you drop it. i dropped mine and it shattered, so now i use a knife.
I have a dunlop joe perry porcelin ones which i use for my blues playing but its alll a matter of preference for rock though i think you should go for a thick glass dunlop and if you have a spark plug socket laying around you can experiment with it.
GEAR:
Gibson Faded V (Dimarzio EVO(B) and GFS Hot Liverpool(N) coiltap in neck)
Squier Mahogany HSS Strat
Squier BSB tele
Bogner 2X12
Vox AD50VT
EPI VJ head
I have a variety of pedals PM if you have to know.

Looking for a new head!
I have a glass one that I fit on my ring finger, as well as a rusty old pocket knife . The knife sounds like crap, but is cool. The glass one actually sounds good.

Listen to "One of These Days" by Pink Floyd for some cool slide jamming.
Quote by hoobariffer87
OMG Freebird

definitely a classic slide riff

can anyone tell me how to use a slide? or send a link? ive tried but idk if theres some special techniques or whatever. sorry if im distracting from the original post