ok to I picked up a PRS SE electric last month and now I have a few questions on what some things do

when I took it to the guitar store to have the guy adjust it all properly for the first time he said I should really get some new strings, better pickups, and a different bridge

Now I know what all these are but why would I need them?

What does changing the strings do if they are already new on the guitar?

I think I have single coil pickups on my guitar....there are 3 separate from each other....Once again, What would changing these do?

I know they are not the best but this is only a basic starter guitar for me to see if I would stick with guitar and now I know I will.

That 5 way switch, What exactly does it do...?
On TV I heard something about it turning on and off pickups...but how do I know which position turns on and off which pickups?

The bridge, I like the current one as its easy to do mutes on it...how are others better?

can you tell im new at guitar yet???

BTW I play allot of greenday so I use distortion most of the time but I do use clean settings sometimes as well.
Is this your guitar? http://prsguitars.com/showcase/current/seegssh.html

Honestly, I don't think you should upgrade all this stuff right away, if you're new start playing and get to know what you like/dislike about your guitar, upgrading the bridge isn't really necessary right now, the 5 way selector basically enables certain pickups at one time. For example the first setting will have your bridge humbucker on. The next position would probably enable you bridge and middle pickups. A lot of people like to change the strings on their guitars since the ones that are stock aren't always the best. It's up to you what you want to do, for now I'd change the strings, and if you're new then keep the other parts for a little bit and see if you want to change things.
If you play a lot of Green Day, GHS Boomers and D'Addarios are the strings to look for. GHS's are bright, while D'Addarios have more bass and mid punch.
If you have a floating tremolo (you can move the bridge with a whammy bar), remember to change the strings one at a time.
Quote by franz.d.
What to change the band name? No way!! We have a kick-ass logo of a washing machine eating guitars and everything!!

Quote by elvenkindje
Lol, when I'm bored I'm gonna try that with regular dice! If I'm famous I'll thank you for it
Quote by pierce34celtic
Is this your guitar? http://prsguitars.com/showcase/current/seegssh.html

Honestly, I don't think you should upgrade all this stuff right away, if you're new start playing and get to know what you like/dislike about your guitar, upgrading the bridge isn't really necessary right now, the 5 way selector basically enables certain pickups at one time. For example the first setting will have your bridge humbucker on. The next position would probably enable you bridge and middle pickups. A lot of people like to change the strings on their guitars since the ones that are stock aren't always the best. It's up to you what you want to do, for now I'd change the strings, and if you're new then keep the other parts for a little bit and see if you want to change things.

thats the newer model

i have this one

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/PRS-Guitars-SE-EG-Electric-Guitar?sku=511962

got it on sale at 100$ lower than it is now