here's a simple question that i can't find form looking at marshall's company website. Is the jcm 800 and /or jcm 2000 solid state or tube rectified?
They're tube, but they're not tube rectified. They have SS rectifiers.
2005 Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Marshall JCM900 MKIII Master Volume head
Carvin G412T cabinet
Line 6 DL-4
Boss BF-3
Boss CS-3
Boss NS-2
Boss OD-20
Boss PH-2
Ibanez TS-7 (being modded soon!)
Marshall tube amps have solid state rectifiers, as with most tube amps.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
Quote by Ambulance X
They're tube, but they're not tube rectified. They have SS rectifiers.

Yes

......most Marshall's have solid state rectification. Some old vintage Marshall's had tube rectification but for the most part you can assume Marshall's are SS
I'm not 100% sure exactly what this does in an amp, but I know that rectification converts AC to a DC signal. Exactly what that does in an amp, I don't know, but all tube amps (perhaps even solid state) have them.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

gives a natural sag to your sound because the tube rectifier is less efficient. It actually denies the amp power when it's using the most. It's used more for a vintage sound.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
also, on medium to high gain amps, its better to have SS rect. so the sound is tighter and more responsive
Well all amps have a SS rectifier, as far as I know Mesa is the only big name company that still installs tube rectifiers. Tube rectos give a more relaxed kinda tone. Real nice for blues and some classic rock.
I believe one of teh B-52 amps also have tube rectification, but I'm not 100% positive and too lazy to look it up...

Yea the B-52 tube amps all have tube rectifiers, a single 5AR4, although they also have the switch A, AB, and solid state. Same deal with Mesas.
clips
Gear
  • Framus Cobra Head
  • Peavey 5150 Head
  • Marshall MF280 4x12 Cab
  • PRS Custom 24 w/ 3-Way/Coil Tap
  • Ibanez RGT220A w/ EMG 85 Neck/81 Bridge
  • Rack w/ BBE 482i, Hush Super C, and Furman