I feel like an idiot asking this, especially seen as i'm not exactly new to this, but can someone outline the tonal differences between these two please because i've been trying to work out which to choose but there are no shops around that stock the TS808 so i can't compare them. Any advice welcomed.

p.s. so far all i can find out about them is that the TS808 is warmer than the TS9 but thats not that helpful really.
Fender American Deluxe Ash Stratocaster (2000)
Fender Classic Player 60's Stratocaster
Marshall JCM900 100w head & 4x12 cab

Korg DT-10 Tuner; Boss DD-3 Digital Delay; Jim Dunlop JH-1B Wah; Boss RT-20 Rotary Ensemble; MXR EVH Phase 90.
Just personal opinion, but I found the TS9 to have a little more gain, and a little more modern voiced. The 808 seemed more transparent to me, little less gain, and a little smoother. I think it's meant to have a more "vintage" voicing, but it works really well on a high gain amp with the OD way down. What kind of amp are you going to push with it? If it's your SS, I would probably go with the TS9, it seemed to have more of it's own color. I've only used them on tube amps though, so I don't know what kind of results you will have.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
well using an OD pedal on an SS amp is kinda pointless cuz i hear it will just make it sound worse
Quote by Dyaxe666
well using an OD pedal on an SS amp is kinda pointless

+1

IMO, any overdrive pedal makes a solid state amp sound fizzy and brittle. It doesn't have the same effect as on a tube amp. Now, when used for a light, bluesy vintage drive, they work well with solid state. But for boosting a distorted channel, they aren't ideal.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
as much as people dont think the vox is a valve amp, yes it does have solid state circuitry mixed with valves but really its been made to act like a valve amp and it does Nearly as well as a real one (seen as it has i think 4 valves in it). sorry if it sounds a bit snappy i just have a despisement for solid state amps lol. yeah ill try the ts9 then and see how it is, although by the sound of your opinions the ts808 may suit me better (i use classic rock/rock/blues amp tones marshall plexi/fender hod rod deluxe sorta sounds) as i'm looking for a pedal that will push the amp to overdrive or further overdrive without replacing the tone with its own overdrive if you get me. cheers youve helped me a bundle

LOOK its technically not a ****ing SS! it has valves and acts like one therefore it is not ****ing solid state! (one more comment calling my amp a bloody SS...lol) and anyway mines one of the good valvetronix amps not the silly silver things.
Fender American Deluxe Ash Stratocaster (2000)
Fender Classic Player 60's Stratocaster
Marshall JCM900 100w head & 4x12 cab

Korg DT-10 Tuner; Boss DD-3 Digital Delay; Jim Dunlop JH-1B Wah; Boss RT-20 Rotary Ensemble; MXR EVH Phase 90.
Last edited by ArcherTheVMan at Jun 7, 2006,
The Vox has a single 12AX7 tube that sits between the pre and power amps. It adds extra warmth to the sound to the power amp, simulating how a tube power amp reacts. The pre and power amps are solid state. The amp is a hybrid, plain and simple. I think your despisement of SS amps is mroe from hearsay than anything, because for all intents and purpose, hybrids are solid state. And I should add I have nothing against solid state amps.

Overdrive pedals provide a boost by pushing preamp tubes (which the Vox doesn't have) harder. All it does to solid state amps is cause the preamp transistors to clip. Ironically, a 'regular' hybrid like a Marshall AVT reacts better to an overdrive pedal because it actually has a tube pwered preamp.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor