Hey, I have an Amercain Strat standard. I got this about 2 and a half years ago. The whammy bar it came with is all messed up now. When I screw it in, it is too loose to stay in the normal position, with the tip of the arm facing the headstock. Right now the tip of the arm is facing down. If i try tightening it more, it will snap.

What can I do to make it tight, but have it in the right position?
top axes:
Taylor GS8
Fender American Strat (w/DiMarzio pickups)
Epiphone Les Paul
you're supposed to have it hanging down and pick it up whenever you need it.
arent they suppose to be that way?...because if its tight when your playing, and your say...strumming...your hand would hit it, they are suppose ot bne loose so that they are totally out of your way when you strum or whatever, but then i jsut reach down and bring it up to the normal spot to use it, then drop it again...at least i think they are suppose ot be like that?...but im not sure, im just going by what i have seen
Quote by Johnljones7443
Brad, you smell.

Quote by Slash_HuDsOn
brad you smell like my hairy left nut

I wouldnt suggest eating it as a satisfying solution.

EDIT: ive heard that putting a spring in the hole works for this problem, also if you half a toothpick and wedge that in, it helps tighten it up, if all else fails and you dont mind your whammy being stuck in the one position, you can always superglue it in, but that is a rather extreme measure
Last edited by eldunno at Jun 7, 2006,
^what are you people dumbasses? you can buy a new bar for less then 10$ an save alot of trouble
Quote by Arlabester
you suck, emo rocks, case closed
Quote by Air Guitarist!
^what are you people dumbasses? you can buy a new bar for less then 10$ an save alot of trouble

its likely not the bar itself thats the problem, the thread on the inside of the hole may have been worn away a little through use, its a common problem with strat-type bridges after a while
its not the bar idiot, its the threads on the inside of the trem and on the bar, they are jsut getting more worn out and easily turnable...happens to every guitar after awhile...but buying a new bar wont do dick all, and if it does it will only be a barely noticable change and the same thing will happen after like 2 weeks..its all normal...but then again,. maybe im making no sense because i havent had a guitar with a trem on it in years, but im getting one in a few weeks
Quote by Johnljones7443
Brad, you smell.

Quote by Slash_HuDsOn

ah, then try some of that white tape-y stuff plumbers use on the threading
Quote by Arlabester
you suck, emo rocks, case closed
Quote by eldunno
its likely not the bar itself thats the problem, the thread on the inside of the hole may have been worn away a little through use, its a common problem with strat-type bridges after a while

damn you beat me, and made it much better to understand
Quote by Johnljones7443
Brad, you smell.

Quote by Slash_HuDsOn

Quote by Air Guitarist!
ah, then try some of that white tape-y stuff plumbers use on the threading

bingo.

u wrap a thin layer of plumbers tape around the threads of the bar and it should snug the fit.
u need to keep trying until u get it at the right angle.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
its good to have some play in your bar,then you can hold onto it while you play,eddie vh keeps about an inch of play in his. so loosen it up a few turns.