Poll: Rosewood Vs. Maple Necks
Poll Options
View poll results: Rosewood Vs. Maple Necks
Rosewood Strat Neck
26 46%
Maple Strat Neck
30 54%
Voters: 56.
Please nclude brief reviews with pros and cons if you want, or just vote. I hear there's no big difference and the rosewood lasts longer and the maple has a sharper tone. The guitar is a Fender Stratocaster. Thanks so much.

Rory
DANCE BITCH!!
Last edited by Biased_Bassist at Jun 7, 2006,
i like the maple smell.. i go home.. grab my guitar and have a sniff
my humble gears:

Ibanez Prestige RG1570 with EVOS!!!
Epiphone Std LesPaul with PAFs

EVJ -> 1960av
EHX Metal Muff, Big Muff, Small Clone
Ibanez WD7, VOX V847, OD-3, BLT slap echo

FIRST Member #11 of the EHX Users Guild
Maple feels nicer, faster.

2001 Fender MIM Stratocaster
1987 Fender F-210 Acoustic
Partscaster (in progress)

Traynor YCV40
Ibanez TS-9
Ibanez AD-9
MXR M-108
EHX Metal Muff
Boss NS-2

WTB:
Boss TU-2 Chromatic Tuner

Follow me on Twitter!
I prefer maple, it's smoother, but harder, and it feels right. It feels faster. Rosewood feels to dry, generally, and it also seems comparatively soft. It always seems either too harsh or too oily. Maple ist Grofaz.

EDIT: ^ Have you not been to Guitar Center? What type of noob/unlucky person has not tried rosewood?
Rosewood. I've tried maple necks before and they are always sticky. Also, any kind of grime stands out horribly on them, so the usually look pretty nasty.

However, I love the dry feel and darker color of rosewood.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
^I agree. All my Strats are Rosewood. My hands sweat at times and the rosewood seems to absorb it so i don't get sloppy. The maple is nice too, but rosewood works for me.
^ it only gets all ****ty and sticky and grimey if you are say outside playing baseball, piss on your hands, then play gutiar without even running your hands under water...i clean my hands every time i play with soap, it makes everything not sticky at all, and also keeps everything looking new
Quote by Johnljones7443
Brad, you smell.

Quote by Slash_HuDsOn
brad you smell like my hairy left nut

can someone post a pic pf a rosewood fretboard and a maple fretboard?
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
Rosewood looks better than maple. But, that's just me.
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
If you meant fingerboards, rosewood. I just dont like the way the maple feels when Im playing, but I have only played a ****ty strat copy with a maple fretboard. Other than that, Ive only played rosewood. As for necks, I have never played with a solid rosewood neck, so I would have to go with maple
Ebony owns them both but between the two i pick rosewood. I lvoe maple for aneck but as a fingerboard its crap i think its very dry and unpleaseant to play on, and i dont like it asthetically(great as a neck though as it is smooth if you have it sanded good). ROsewood is my next favorite great feel great look only con i think its a bit to oily.

and my persoanly favorite ebony. Great not to hard not to soft. not to dry not to oily. Feels great to play on and looks awesome
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
my sg fret board is rosewood, and I have play a maple fretboard on a fender strat and tele, i would go with maple
Quote by JackWhiteIsButts
I saw Pantera live once, Dime changed into a body bag right there on stage.

Too bad ebony wasnt in this poll, because personally i find better than rosewood and rosewood...
but i would have to choose rosewood, i just prefer the feel alot better, enough its a bit oily
I've only ever owned guitars with rosewood. I like maple though...especially birdseye, its gorgeous! I guess I perfer rosewood, but if I ever got a strat/tele...it would have maple. I just love the look of it better.
On a strat, I'd have to think about it. Because the headstock is maple. Always. And if it's not, it sure isn't rosewood.
“In my anguish I cried to the LORD, and he answered by setting me free. The LORD is with me; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?”
I don't remember ever playing on a maple neck, but for a strat, I think it looks better than a rosewood neck
Quote by bassmo_part2
Embryodead even if she was the hottest thing on the planet, there are lines you just don't cross and on my side of the line we don't finger our sisters.

Official Member of the I <3 Schecter's Club, PM Schecter-06 to join
rosewood, easier to mantain in a long run IMHO. I had a old laquered maple fretboard neck, turn kind of darkish in few frets that annoyed me abit. As for rosewood, normally i oil it when i change string, its a habit, dun find it a hassle
I have rosewood fingerboards on all my guitars/basses. I just like the way it feels and sounds, much darker. Also, maple fretboards get pretty grimey looking after a while, and the sound is a little too bright for me most of the time. When I get a tele I'll get a maple board, but for my all-purpose guitar...yeah, rosewood.

And ebony is awesome, I like it better on acoustics than electrics, though.
Raoul Duke: There's a uh, big machine in the sky, some kind of, I dunno, electric snake, coming straight at us.

Dr. Gonzo: Shoot it.

Raoul Duke: Not yet, I want to study its habits.
Maple is apparently slightly brighter sounding, and rosewood warmer, but it's not easy to tell the differences really.

I love Teles and Strats with maple necks
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Quote by R_H_C_P
Maple is apparently slightly brighter sounding, and rosewood warmer, but it's not easy to tell the differences really.

I could tell the difference when I switched from maple to rosewood; but that could have depended on some other things (different tuners, thinner neck, tighter fit in the neckpocket).