Poll: Should DT be allowed?
Poll Options
View poll results: Should DT be allowed?
Yes
58 79%
No
15 21%
Voters: 73.
Page 1 of 2
Dream Theater is currently banished to the Shred and Progressive forum. Perhaps if we get enough 'yes' votes, the mods might reconsider and let us discuss DT in here as well?
Last edited by <>< at Jun 7, 2006,
I don't see a reason why not. They pwn. They have distortion. They're metal. What other reasons should there be?
I've found Jesus
Quote by Contraband
I don't see a reason why not. They pwn. They have distortion. They're metal. What other reasons should there be?

Let them in.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
What a minute. Are we talking about Dream Theater or Dark Tranquility?

If it's either one, then yes, they should be allowed in the Metal forum.
Quote by Bodom_Shredder7
i hate you mer der. i hope you get a boner and accidently fall on it.

Quote by rocknrollstar
Excuse my stupidity , but what is a urethra ?

Im guessing anus.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
They're not allowed here?

yeh, im asking myself the same thing
The trouble with nude dancing is that not everything stops moving when the music does.

Last.fm
Quote by l.MetalHead.l
dream theater

Oh. He11 ya. Just 'cause they put a different twist on metal doesn't mean they aren't.

Let 'em in
Epi LP--->Digitech RP3--->Crate GT-200
Quote by Contraband

B..b.but.. they have teh non-metal partz!

Seriously, it's probably because they aren't metal all the time and they don't have to sing about the usual metal subjects. They're above that.
Quote by metalmania91
Sorry for bein a noob but what's DT?

A Prog Metal band that OWNS YOUR FUCKING SOUL!

I agree that they should be here in the Metal forum, but I don't know if that will ever happen. Ownage? Yes. Awesome? Yes. Amazing? You better believe it!

/DT whore

EDIT: I'm a little late on this post. Sorry.
^ Indeed.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
Quote by Mr. Kashmir
B..b.but.. they have teh non-metal partz!

Seriously, it's probably because they aren't metal all the time and they don't have to sing about the usual metal subjects. They're above that.

So...that's like saying a ballad isn't metal. Metal bands do it. It doesn't make them any less metal, because the majority of DT's content is metal. With songs like A Change of Seasons, who can have a doubt?
I've found Jesus
SGRock0791, you are on my good side.

I love Dream Theater.

I think, for the most part, they are definitely prog metal. Let them in!
Proud member of The Bass Militia! PM IndieMetalhead to join!

Quote by Fast_Bear
You know your a Bassist when you practice near the ocean, and whales respond.
Quote by SGRocker0791
A Prog Metal band that OWNS YOUR FUCKING SOUL!

I agree that they should be here in the Metal forum, but I don't know if that will ever happen. Ownage? Yes. Awesome? Yes. Amazing? You better believe it!

/DT whore

EDIT: I'm a little late on this post. Sorry.
haha

With a post as good as this one, I think it's forgivable.

Quote by crazyfool91
dream theater cant be classified
Umm...yes it can? It's called "Progressive Metal"
I think the main reason they're not allowed is because of the 1000-post+ thread in progressive. They probably wanna try and keep it all in there. I voted yes though, they're definately metal but so creative that they add in several other influences.
Dead soldier! Go now to Valhalla!
Quote by uuuuhhhhhhhh
I vote no, There was a reason it was kicked out of metal so long ago. Thats because of all the ZOMG DREAMTHEATHER RULZ threads.
Wouldn't a "Dream Theater Only" thread fix that problem?
Quote by Gman400
I think the main reason they're not allowed is because of the 1000-post+ thread in progressive. They probably wanna try and keep it all in there. I voted yes though, they're definately metal but so creative that they add in several other influences.

Maybe they can move it, but yet again, members in the Shred forum would be like "Zomg, where did the DT thread go?" Ah well, I'd still say move them here.
Quote by <><
Wouldn't a "Dream Theater Only" thread fix that problem?

The Metallica thread sure as hell doesn't fix that problem from time to time.
I don't see the problem with it being discussed in the Progresssive section. There is a thread there, and what is so difficult about posting there?
Don't be derivative. Explore...
I'm not even saying we have to MOVE it; what if we just had two seperate threads? Like how Black Sabbath is allowed both in the Classic Rock forum and the Metal forum. I mean, I literally never post in any other forums; too hard to keep track of replies to my posts.
Quote by <><
I'm not even saying we have to MOVE it; what if we just had two seperate threads? Like how Black Sabbath is allowed both in the Classic Rock forum and the Metal forum. I mean, I literally never post in any other forums; too hard to keep track of replies to my posts.

Mmmmm, I see. Maybe, but it's up to Greety or Unfathomable_bo to have a DT Only thread here.
Quote by <><

My point still stands as this: Why? There is no point, it's got a thread in one place, and that thread is doing quite well.
Don't be derivative. Explore...
I think we take it to the Shred Forum.

I'm all for keeping it here, but since there's a big thread already there and nothing here...no sense in moving it. They're Metal, but they have a bigger place in the Shred Forum.

But still, either place, there will always be threads started about them. Just make it offical and move them there.
Quote by Bodom_Shredder7
i hate you mer der. i hope you get a boner and accidently fall on it.

Quote by rocknrollstar
Excuse my stupidity , but what is a urethra ?

Im guessing anus.
Quote by INDUSTRIALMETAL
My point still stands as this: Why? There is no point, it's got a thread in one place, and that thread is doing quite well.
Some people prefer to stay within the walls of the Metal Forum.
SUPER BOWL XLVIII
D E N V E R B R O N C O S vs. S E A T T L E S E A H A W K S
Quote by Pan-Tallica
Some people prefer to stay within the walls of the Metal Forum.
It's like our own awesome castle

*edit: Our own kvlt castle rather.
Last edited by <>< at Jun 7, 2006,
if we talk about any other prog metal band, we should be able to talk about Dream Theater. Plus, having another thread in the metal forum will allow the metalheads to talk amongst the metalheads, instead of having to go in the shred forum with the shredmongers. But seriously, what fucking harm will one damn thread do? It's not like having an extra thread will cause UG to crash or something.
like i say, and so does wikipedia:

"Dream Theater is a progressive metal band"

now, although i voted yes, i think this should be taken into account:

it should be ALL the prog metal bands put in either shred/prog, OR metal. not some in one, some in the other.

and i think shred/prog has a lot more to do with the shred side anyway, so i dont see why we cant accept prog metal?

we dont like metalcore or nu metal because they suck ass, give metal a bad name, etc.
but prog metal certainly does not give metal a bad name, and obviously dosnt suck.
+1 to mangablade and Icarus66! Heck, we even have DT in the recommendation thread here! They should be here too IMO!
Quote by <><
Dream Theater is currently banished to the Shred and Progressive forum. Perhaps if we get enough 'yes' votes, the mods might reconsider and let us discuss DT in here as well?

Keywords should be "AS WELL" because there is already a HUGE DT only thread in the Shred forum.
Quote by hepzibahbaptist
Yeah listen to Apoc. He knows what he's talking about.

Quote by hepzibahbaptist
I figured you were going to sig that. And this if you have any sense of humor what so ever.

Founder of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM me or altronataku to join
Quote by SGRocker0791
+1 to mangablade and Icarus66! Heck, we even have DT in the recommendation thread here! They should be here too IMO!

You're pretty excited, aren't you?
Quote by Icarus66
if we talk about any other prog metal band, we should be able to talk about Dream Theater.

Exactly.
Page 1 of 2