Quick question about a chord I don't know:
What's the superscript o next to a chord? like a A^o.
What's it called and how is it formed?
well i think that meansyou bend the chord... that looks like it would hurt though ... fo the a chord anyway
Post a pic. I don't know what you're talking about. It looks like you could be talking about a diinished chord, but I want to know exactly what you mean.
No that means that it Is A Diminished. In which case: the layout of the chord is 1 b3 b5 bb7.

an A* bar chord looks like:

E---x---
B---x--
G---5--
D---7--
A---6--
E---5--

^Yellow Eyes got it. It means "diminished," as in 1 b3 b5 bb7.
Looking for my India/Django.
Ya, I'm pretty sure that's it. My guitar teacher was saying that a B*(diminished) is the 7th chord in the key of C. Does that make sense?
The seventh chord in the key of C would be B half diminished, not fully diminished. Half Diminished has a circle with a slash through it. Or a 1, b3, b5, b7. Fully diminshed has no slash through the circle, its the 1 b3 b5 bb7.
...not to mention the chord he asked for was not a seventh chord, so would just have a root, minor third, and diminished fifth in it.
"I see my light come shining from the west down to the east
Any day now, any day now I shall be released"

Know any good teachers in NY, especially skilled in teaching ear training? Tell me
Quote by sirpsycho85
...not to mention the chord he asked for was not a seventh chord, so would just have a root, minor third, and diminished fifth in it.

an A^o, diminished, implies a doublly flat seven. Although half diminished does not, but can't hurt.
i was just goin strictly by what the chord said. i guess if you're playing jazz yeah you tend to assume the seventh is there, but if you were looking over a classical piece and analyzed it as an Adim, i think i'd expect to see the notes A C Eb.
"I see my light come shining from the west down to the east
Any day now, any day now I shall be released"

Know any good teachers in NY, especially skilled in teaching ear training? Tell me
Quote by Yellow Eyes
No that means that it Is A Diminished. In which case: the layout of the chord is 1 b3 b5 bb7.

an A* bar chord looks like:

E---x---
B---x--
G---5--
D---7--
A---6--
E---5--

That's a stupid voicing imo. It doubles the root and leaves out the seventh, which is one of the defining notes in a chord. I'd say a couple of (fully) diminished7 chords are:

-3------
-2-8-11-
-3-6-12-
-2-8-11-
---7----
-----12-

Note that they can be used four ways. The chord I've written can be seen/used as Edim, Gdim, Bbdim, Dbdim.
The "Popped Collar" Award(Sexiest)
Elvenkindje

The "Rest In Real Life" Award(Best Past MT Mod)
Elvenkindje
^ Because the diminished scale repeats itself if you go by minor 3rds.
UG Blues Mafia
Founding Members: Forklifterer, Steve Cropper, Crzyrckgtrst28, and TNfootballfan62

Member of the Anti-Whammy-Bar-Solo Club