I was wondering wat the highest quality amp head i can get for roughtly 600$ is. Im looking for a wide range of tones, i play mostly classic rock stuff like zeppelin but occasionly sum stuff like A7X

thx
If you are looking to buy new, just go for a tube combo. You aren't going to find any heads worth it under that. If you are going used maybe a JCM900 if you can find one and JCM800's if you can find one. JCM800's will be hard to find for that little though.
i ahte to sound like retared/noob/dumbass but wats a tube combo? a tube amp and head? i already have a tube amp - a custom fender blues junior (180 watts!)
You have a tube combo. Its basicly a head built into a speaker cab, usually a 1x12, or 2x12. And if im not mistaken, the blues junior is only 15 watts. I dont know many tube amps that are past the 150 watt range.
My Gear:
American Deluxe HSS Strat
Crate GT212
Vintage '66 Fender Champ Amp
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Jekyll & Hyde Ultimate Overdrive
Vintage '74 MXR Script Phase 90
Vintage '77 MXR Flanger
Orange Squeezer (clone)
Peavey Classic 50 combos go for a little under that. They're amazing classic rock amps with great cleans and awesome distortion. They don't get much recognition around here but they're the best amps I've ever heard.

ya i get that alot about my amp --- its basically a blues amp on steroids, ie not the same size speaker, and what not
Quote by Unclesam186
i already have a tube amp - a custom fender blues junior (180 watts!)

how many tubes is it using now?

a combo amp is a preamp, poweramp, and speaker in one unit. A "head" is a preamp and poweramp in one unit. You use a speaker cabinet for the speakers.

Sound can be shaped and amplified using vacuum tube amplifiers or solid state amps. Tube amplifiers are generally held in higher regard due to the way the tubes sound to the human ear when played loud.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
i count 5 tubes. is it possible for me to have a head on my amp based on what erok said?
How many of the larger power tubes? The little tubes are preamp tubes, the larger ones are power tubes. A stock blues junior is a tube combo amp. Not to be another disbeliever man, but your amp would have to be huge if it's still a tube amp, and it's 180W. Youl should have at least 6 power tubes alone. Is it still a combo amp, meaning all in one unit?
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
ya it is huge its almost as tall as me lol. ya sry about the confusion with the amps - i have 8 power tubes
you gotta spend at least $900. for a decent amp head.(tubes of course)
Are you sure you didn't read 180 volts or something? This is odd, but extremely dodgy.
#12 of the "Ibanez SZ over RG Club!" PM ibanez4life SZ! to join!
For that money?

Ashdown Fallen Angel
B-52 AT100

Traynor YCV50 Blue
It's a fine line between clever and stupid.
nope it def says 180w, no cant take a pic, wish i could, my dig camera is currently broken : (
o broken is it? ok.

fact: i have never heard of a tube combo that is as tall as a person, unless you are 2 foot tall

fact: 180 watts tube would indeed require about 6 or 8 power amp tubes

fact: Fender have never made a 180 watt tube amp

fact: peoples cameras are only broken when they are telling lies.

also if it is 180 watt tube why are u looking for another amp?
ACOUSTIC
Martin 0001
Fender Stratacoustic

ELECTRIC
Gibson SG Special Faded (Mod)

AMP/FX
DOD ICE IT 60 Watt
ZOOM 606II Guitar
Last edited by antman2004 at Jun 8, 2006,
180w tube is a hatload of amp. Richter scale power.
It's a fine line between clever and stupid.
fact: cameras break when u drop them when ur dog jumps on u

fact: its a CUSTOM amp, meanin its proly the onhly one in the world

fact: since it is CUSTOM, it is extremly large

fact: i dont know much about it becuase it was my dads

fact:im not lookin for another amp, jsut an amp head

but thanks for that helpful post antman
Quote by Unclesam186
fact: cameras break when u drop them when ur dog jumps on u

fact: its a CUSTOM amp, meanin its proly the onhly one in the world

fact: since it is CUSTOM, it is extremly large

fact: i dont know much about it becuase it was my dads

fact:im not lookin for another amp, jsut an amp head

but thanks for that helpful post antman

fake...
indeed, i smell b.s. i remember some kid, several years ago, made a thread saying he had a fender deluxe reverb or something with 24 tubes. it turned out to be b.s.

anyway, you wont find a good head for that much.
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
You can get a Carvin head for around that much. I've heard AMAZING things about the Master Tube Series.