Hello, I plan on recording soon and I need some help choosing mics. I don't have too big of a budget, so I narrowed it down to two choices in the $50 dollar range, the Peavey PVi2 ($45) and the Digital Reference DR-VX1 ($50), which would be used for vocals. And I'm hoping to get a Behringer XM8500 ($20) for recording guitar. Which would you suggest for vocals, the Peavey PVi2 or the Digital Reference DR-VX1? Thank you all in advance.
"When ignorance reigns, life is lost."

Teh Space
^no,no,no,no,no,no! Ok mics in the 50 dollar range first off will not be the greatest investment.Spend a little bit more money on a Shure sm57 (for micing a guitar amp),and Sm58 for vocals,should run you around 200.You pay for what you get,and you don't hear about many artists' albums recorded with a behringer mic,but you do hear of a artist whove recorded with shure or akg or etc.
Quote by Chikitty_China
Well, when I'm fapping, I sometimes look at my left hand and wonder what could have been ....
Quote by guitarfan93
^no,no,no,no,no,no! Ok mics in the 50 dollar range first off will not be the greatest investment.Spend a little bit more money on a Shure sm57 (for micing a guitar amp),and Sm58 for vocals,should run you around 200.You pay for what you get,and you don't hear about many artists' albums recorded with a behringer mic,but you do hear of a artist whove recorded with shure or akg or etc.

Absolutley agree, I think getting a cheap mic just gets u back to square one... spend it on an sm57
Member #5 of the I <3 Schecter's Club-PM Schecter-06 to join
"Member of the Guitarists that wished they could sing because they would make fantastic frontmen club"-Pm Davidian to join
Save your money and wait until you can buy that sm57. You'll just end up paying more money in the long run if you start off with crappy hardware. Remember when you bought your first guitar, probably about $200-500. 5 years later you got yourself a nice Les Paul at over $1000
while i agree with getting the shure sm57 for guitar recording, i dont think the sm58 is as great for vocals. the 58 is more of a live vocal mic, so unless you plan on doing a lot of screaming when you record, its not as good as an investment as the 57. instead, you would actually want a condensor mic for vocals, and the MXL 990 is supposed to be good. and at something like $50, its supposed to be great for the price. only problem is that condensor mics need phantom power, and if you dont have that then its pointless to get the condensor. in which case, just use the sm57 with a pop filter for vocals, because IMO its not worth the extra $100 just to have the minor differences between the sm 57 and 58.
jof1029 is right, the only difference between the sm57 and sm58 is that the sm58 has a moving coil. The frequency responses are nearly the same except for the sm58 picks up a little better at the 2-4k range. Here's a link for the MX990 that jof suggested: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/MXL-MXL-990-Condenser-Microphone-with-Shockmount?sku=273156. If you can afford it, you can go with this option: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/MXL-MXLV63M-Condenser-Studio-Microphone-with-Shockmount?sku=273158. I've been watching that mic for a few weeks seems like a very good deal.
I saw this thread and i thought that i'd add my question too it,
my question is the same that started the thread, but my budget is MUCH larger than $50 per mic. Maybe $500 per mic. and i was wondering about sudgestions for recording guitar, drums, bass and vocals-what would work best for each-or can i cover all my basses at once with one mic.

also, how many mics are required to get a really good take on drums? I was thinking three mics might be required-but i'm sure someone out there has way more experence with this stuff!

thanks for your guys help!
Cream fan club member #11.
PB.....go to the forums in my signature. anything more serious than recording quick demos should not be handled by these forums. do your self a favour and go to the site.

Adam
Quote by ollie_12318
my grandma is dying and my mum wants me to play something on bass for her, any body got any suggestions?!

Quote by splinter26
another one bites the dust has a pretty cool bass line
hey man, thanks for that site-it looks like it will REALLY streatch my budget.

i guess i'm going to need 7 mics for the drums by the looks of your FAQ section!
Cream fan club member #11.
Quote by guitarfan93

No, no, no, no, no at you, don't get an SM57 and an SM58, thats just madeness, Main difference is that the SM58 has a ball capsule and has a pop filter behind it. The frequency responce and polar patterns are virtually the same. I'd suggest getting the SM57 and just placing a pop screen in front for vocals.

Quote by P.B.
I saw this thread and i thought that i'd add my question too it,
my question is the same that started the thread, but my budget is MUCH larger than $50 per mic. Maybe $500 per mic. and i was wondering about sudgestions for recording guitar, drums, bass and vocals-what would work best for each-or can i cover all my basses at once with one mic.

also, how many mics are required to get a really good take on drums? I was thinking three mics might be required-but i'm sure someone out there has way more experence with this stuff!

thanks for your guys help!

Drumkit typically prefers at least 4, Kick (D112, PG56), Two Overheads (Condensors), and a snare (Dynamic SM57 popular pick). But some people go as far as putting a mic on ever drum. Depending on the size of the kit you may want to put a mic on the toms as well. For vocals a large diaphragm condensor is preferred, there are a variety to check, i personally own an AT3035 which is around 200.00 USD which is definately a great deal. As for guitar an SM57 is popular. For bass guitar you'll need a mic thats good with low frequencies, so your best bet is to use the same mic as the kick.
Last edited by take_it_t at Jun 8, 2006,
Quote by take_it_t
No, no, no, no, no at you, don't get an SM57 and an SM58, thats just madeness, Main difference is that the SM58 has a ball capsule and has a pop filter behind it. The frequency responce and polar patterns are virtually the same. I'd suggest getting the SM57 and just placing a pop screen in front for vocals.

thats what i just said...
If you get a sm57 there is no point wasting money on a sm58. or vice versa.
there exaclty the same microphone except the sm57 doesnt have a pop filter.

I dunno why people think there that much different to each other but there the same mic.

A 57 is practical for everything just about and gives better responses to different instruments.

For brighter sounding vocals or clarity get a condensor.
- Satch is awsome -
Quote by Crazy Drummer69
and £50 = 90USD , which is what it's going for at

oh i thought £50 would be around $70 or so