I know that a drummer is the base of any band and i was wondering what makes a good drummer i'm wanting to start a band and don't know what to look for in a drummer.HELP!!!
When you catch some guy mastubating to you from a pair of binoculars call me and tell me you can see me and i will go where you cant see me and don't worry it's a compliment.

Michael Jackson's just a crazy guy.
Just give me some hints and not something he might not be able to play.
When you catch some guy mastubating to you from a pair of binoculars call me and tell me you can see me and i will go where you cant see me and don't worry it's a compliment.

Michael Jackson's just a crazy guy.
keeping time is a must. creativity. ability. all things that make a good drummer and a good drummer is issential to any band.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Ibanez SZ, RG w/ Dimarzio Super Distortion and PAF Pro
Marshall JCM2000 head 1960 Cab
and many pedals...

www.adamcutrone.com
^i make art
Being able to just keep a beat and a straight rythem is vital. If he can do that then he's fine, he will get better over time. A good drummer dosen't have to be all technical neil peart ****, just being able to keep a beat.
Glib's right, timing is the most important thing. Obviously they should be the same level as the rest of the band.
So many possibilities, so little ability.

Quote by Asthia
You know you're a guitar player when you tell your father what note he's yelling at you in and then improvise over the top.
Timing is very important, as mentioned above, but having their own style is important too (especially if you're going to be writing stuff). If they don't have something about the way they play that sets them apart they won't be a recognizable addition to the band. For example, my drummer does insane fills and lots of beats mixing the toms and double bass, kind of tribal-ish and everyone knows it's him when he's playing.

I am only nothing, I am only this
I am just a man with these two fists
One thing that makes a good drummer is being able to count to 4, if he cant, drop him.
Quote by Iceman729
One thing that makes a good drummer is being able to count to 4, if he cant, drop him.

What if you play songs in 3/4 or 2/4, ever thought about that one?
Last edited by glib homunculus at Jun 9, 2006,
Quote by glib homunculus
What if you play songs in 3/4 or 2/4, ever thought about that one?

he doesnt know what that is... like most people, sadly enough.

I am only nothing, I am only this
I am just a man with these two fists
what separates the great drummers from the average ones, imo, is dynamic control. drummers also serve to emphasize certain parts of the music. like, you don't want him wailing away on the snare when you're trying to play something quietly. also, it's nice if he has a musical sense and will emphasizes certain important notes or whatever. it's hard to describe. basically, a drummer, by playing louder or softer, can add a huge range of textures and dynamics to music. look for someone who's good at this and can make a song more interesting.