Page 1 of 2
I'm looking to buy an SG with a tremolo arm. The Epi version is pretty cheap at $550.
http://images.misupply.com/products/originalrect/Epiphone/353102.jpg
The Gibson version is $3500. Which, I can pay and don't mind, but is there a big difference.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/document?cpd=0OEY&doc_id=99371&g=guitar&base_pid=517061&index=1
“In my anguish I cried to the LORD, and he answered by setting me free. The LORD is with me; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?”
epiphones are the same parts as gibson's (except pickups most of the time) but they are just assembled in china or indoniesia. so its almsot the same guitar and for that price difference i'd go for the epi unless you have that kind of money to spend on the gibson
the gibson has three 57' classic humbuckers... the epiphone has generic "alnico hot humbuckers"

the gibson probably uses higher quality wood, probably one piece everything, with higher quality builder practises
the gibson has higher quality parts

but for 3500 dollars... thats WAY overpriced

just get the epiphone, its costs like 500, upgrade the pickups on it, and wiring(if you want), and your set...

thats a 3000 dollars difference, you get the value with the epiphone, and you could probably get your epi pretty close sounding to the gibson
I'd pay for the Gibson. A custom shop Gibson will kick an Epi's ass.
There once was a man who really loved salt
So he tied his nose to the sea
And then God came down from his silver throne
And said, 'Honey, that water ain't free
Is the sound really that different?
“In my anguish I cried to the LORD, and he answered by setting me free. The LORD is with me; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?”
Gibsons are better than Epiphones.
However, for seven times the price, they are not seven times the guitar
Quote by franz.d.
What to change the band name? No way!! We have a kick-ass logo of a washing machine eating guitars and everything!!

Quote by elvenkindje
Lol, when I'm bored I'm gonna try that with regular dice! If I'm famous I'll thank you for it
Why not just get a Gibson 61 RI if you want the '57 classic buckers? However, the CS SG will at least hold its value a few years from now, and probably increase in value by the time you have kids old enough to play them, whereas the Epi would be just another copy, even with the upgraded ('57) PUs.
Quote by JesusLives
Is the sound really that different?

with the pickups in the epi, they gibson will should ALOT better

with the pups switched out, you should be able to get a close tone to the gibby...

but the gibby will still obvioulsly sound better... but for 3500 dollars, its not worth it... like some one said, its "not seven times the guitar"
Quote by zeppelin68

but for 3500 dollars... thats WAY overpriced

True, but if people stopped paying for them, they wouldn't be so expensive. The price is based on supply and demand. If people refused to pay that much, the price would go down.
There once was a man who really loved salt
So he tied his nose to the sea
And then God came down from his silver throne
And said, 'Honey, that water ain't free
For real. I just want the best, but don't want the pay a butt-load if it's just a slight difference in tone.
^agreed, most people get the gibson.. for the sake of having the gibson... and bragging rights... and well then the tone...

what would you rather say... "yo guys look at my epiphone!!!" your friends laugh, hahah, your friends reply "are you joking or something?"

or "CHECK THIS OUT, ITS MY 3500 DOLLAR GIBSON!!!!" your friends at drolling in sight of the guitar, and cant keep there eyess off of it, kinda like the feeling us guys get once we see a super nice car, or a big screen during super bowl, we get that facial and suddenly become speachless. Your friends think your the coolest person ever... and then the whole neighbour knows you because of your freakin expensive gibson...
Quote by JesusLives
For real. I just want the best, but don't want the pay a butt-load if it's just a slight difference in tone.

i dont think so, but you can always go to your local music store and try both guitars out, (if they have the gibby there)

i think with a pup change, possible rewiring the guitar, you could have a tone that is similar to the gibsons, for a ALOT less
if uve got the $$$ go with the SG
v CLICK v

Quote by musicjunkie207
The time I fell on my face on a trampoline and cracked my neck, then proceded to run around the yard in a blind panic screaming "I hope I'm not paralyzed! OH GOD I THINK I'M PARALYZED!"
Quote by GibsonRocker14
if uve got the $$$ go with the SG

they are both SG's... im pretty sure you meant to say go with the gibson if you got the money...
Go and play them yourself, see which one you'd rather get.

And there's gonna' be a huuuuuge difference between them if one's like... 8 times the price.
The Gibson will be generally better quality, better pickups, probably better playability, better hardware, better finish, better made/assembled, better electronics and so on, but you never know, it might not fully justify the price.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
So, I have a question. What is the difference between the cheapest Gibson and the most expensive Epi?
just get a standard and get a trem put on
Quote by Duff_McGee
Masturbate. A lot. Seriously.

<----This is a man
I would go for the epi, even though i am a big fan of gibson that is just way too over priced, if your going to go for a gibson go for a standard.

even though gibson use "higher" quality parts then epi, i still think that epi SG is a good guitar, you might not get that gibson tone but its still a good guitar.
Member #7 of the Gibson Guild, PM Chadillac006 to join
Quote by BeastinHeat
epiphones are the same parts as gibson's (except pickups most of the time) but they are just assembled in china or indoniesia. so its almsot the same guitar and for that price difference i'd go for the epi unless you have that kind of money to spend on the gibson

Not really, everything is lower quality really, woods/tuners etc.

The gibson will almost definatly sound a whole lot better, but it is overpriced, massively overpriced actually.
Tears in waves, minds on fire
Nights alone by your side
I thought I kinda was discussing Gibson versus Epi. Not SG versus anything else.
I know you probably won't like me saying this, but its just the plain truth. If you don't know if a 3,500 gibson is better than a 500 epiphone, you shouldn't be spending 3,500. Unless you're rich, that is.

But do NOT blow all your savings on a guitar if you're not even sure of the difference between it and a "lesser" brand.

Good luck
Oh, don't get me wrong, I know a Gibson Custom is better than Epiphone. I was just wondering if it was worth it.
Epiphone is for poor white kids who can't afford Gibsons...Like me...And you would have to be stupid to spend $500 , or $3500 over the internet without even trying the guitar.Honestly I hate SGs feel its like a huge hump all along the back side of the guitar.And if your getting a tremolo I hope you love tuning your guitar .And Epiphones don't have that orgasmic sound that you get just from strumming a Gibson.You really need to start thinking for yourself man because your reling on other people ( who you dont know and for all you know they could be bull****ing you) go to a music shop play them and look at other guitars (unless you KNOW your gonna get a SG) and decide if its what you want.You probally don't " need " a Gibson you said youve been playing for about a year or something like that ...Even though Gibsons are way hotter I would say Epiphone because its a second guitar and all and then you know if you want to quit you didnt blow 3500 dollars.. And honestly you should just do what you feel like because its really just what YOU like...
^Still, thats something you need to figure out for yourself. Have you actually tried both guitars?

To put it this way: Most epiphones i've played have sucked bigtime. A gibson is definately worth it versus a regular epiphone. But if you could find a gem among the epiphones, thats your best bet. So just go to a store and try out lots of epiphones, and if you find a good one, buy it. If you don't, well, you'll have to decide
K, thanks. I mean, my guitar store doesn't have the Gibson Custom.
^I wouldn't order one over the internet based on the opinions by people on an internet forum, most if which will give advice happily, without ever having even tried a gibson SG of any model

Not to be rude or anything, i just don't think it'd be a good idea

There are some people worth listening to on this forum of course, but it hard to siphon them away from the rest oftentimes

Cheers
For $3500? CUSTOM! Good god, for 3500 you can do whatever the hell you want. Find a local luthier and go nuts.
^No, customs are for people who've played at least 5 years, they've found a style of music to specialize in, and they REALLY know what they want. Also, with customs, their value decrease dramatically compared to for example gibsons + the guitar sometimes doesn't turn into exactly what you were expecting, and you're stuck having to pay 3,000 bucks for a guitar you don't even like that much.
^He seems to have the cash...why not?
Although I do see your point, if he can't decide between an epi and a gibson....yeah.
How about an amp?
do you want a guitar or a knock-off.......get the gibson,or even better the prs.
Here are some much cheaper (I.E. 2,000ish) Gibson SG's that have the arm.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Angus-Young-Signature-SG?sku=517038
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Custom-Shop-SG-Standard-Historic-Reissue-Electric-Guitar-with-Maestro?sku=517507
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Custom-Shop-SG-Standard-with-Maestro-VOS-Electric-Guitar?sku=517997

"^No, customs are for people who've played at least 5 years, they've found a style of music to specialize in, and they REALLY know what they want. Also, with customs, their value decrease dramatically compared to for example gibsons + the guitar sometimes doesn't turn into exactly what you were expecting, and you're stuck having to pay 3,000 bucks for a guitar you don't even like that much."

I disagree. He could go to a luther and say "Make me a Gibson SG and put a tremolo on it!" and the luther would do just that. He could also just buy an SG standard and tell the luther to add the tremolo. Both options would usually be cheaper that buying the SG custom from Gibson. Don't get me wrong, the Gibson is a great guitar. I own them, I love them. But you can't simply say "No customs from luthers unless you are great, have a played a long time, and know exactly what you want or else it will suck" Because I've asked luthers before and have been told that usually the person doesn't know 100% what they want simply because If they knew all the specs and construction aspects they could probly make it themselves. But thats my 2 cents.
Quote by RHCP94
It's an option for the "Which one of E Daws parents are uglier?" thread.
^You still can't deny the massive decrease in value You can get a guitar made for 2,000 dollars, but you can't get more than 500 for it when you sell it.

Also, i know several people who've had bad experiences with luthiers, not because the luthiers were bad, but because the guitar didn't turn out exactly as imagined. And anyway, it will always be cheaper to get a standard line guitar (Like the angus young signature) than getting a luthier to make an exact copy + the guitar drops in value way too much.

IMO, there's absolutely no point in getting a luthier to make you an exact copy of another company's model.

Im just saying, that its better to wait and take stock of the situation, than blow all your savings too early on.
epi value goes in the toilet as soon as you walk out of the guitar store.
Quote by taper_fra_nord
^You still can't deny the massive decrease in value You can get a guitar made for 2,000 dollars, but you can't get more than 500 for it when you sell it.

Why would you get a guitar created to your exact specifications, and then sell it?

I don't buy things expecting to sell them away in the future...
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by JesusLives
I'm looking to buy an SG with a tremolo arm. The Epi version is pretty cheap at $550.
http://images.misupply.com/products/originalrect/Epiphone/353102.jpg
The Gibson version is $3500. Which, I can pay and don't mind, but is there a big difference.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/document?cpd=0OEY&doc_id=99371&g=guitar&base_pid=517061&index=1
If you don't know then get the Epi, becasue you don't deserve the Gibson version.
Quote by Dyne
If you don't know then get the Epi, becasue you don't deserve the Gibson version.

words of wisdom.
Page 1 of 2