As at least one person in this forum knows, i'm learning music theory. I've come across transposition and want to make sure i got it right. It has three methods, interval, syllable, and number. In the workbook i got, i'm using the number method. I'll make a hypothetical thing to make sure i got it, and tomorrow i may post a real thing from the book i did.

Let's say i have this in the Key of C in treble clef in 4/4. . . E, F, F#, G

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------0--------------------------------------------------
              0              #0
------0------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        1          2                3                 4

if i were to transpose it to the Key of G it'd look like this. . .(if i do it right) A, B, C, C#

-#-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0                0#
--------------0-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1           2              3                   4

you can ignore the diagrams if you want, they didn't work out too well
Last edited by R0CKER1220 at Jun 8, 2006,
Are you trying to transpose the line up a fifth? C - G is a fifth, yet you transposed up a 4th.

Key of C - E (M3), F(p4), F#(#4), G(P5)
Key of G - B (M3), C(p4), C#(#4), D(p5)

I think I understand what your asking.
I'm not too sure but don't you have to move the bassline up a fifth? At least.. I think that's almost needed here because of the utter dissonance otherwise

Oh, and if you transpose the line from C to G, I think you have to move the melody up by a fifth instead of the fourth you did there (unless you're using inversions etc.. But let's keep it basic )
The "Popped Collar" Award(Sexiest)
Elvenkindje

The "Rest In Real Life" Award(Best Past MT Mod)
Elvenkindje
What you're referring to is sight transposition, which is chromatic transposition at an instrument. And no you did not do it right, using the number method. What numeric degree is E, in C? What's the same numeric degree in G? That's how the number method works/
Quote by les_kris
Corwinoid is God
I'm not even God-like... I've officially usurped the Almighty's throne.
Click here to worship me.

Member #3 of the Corwinoid Fan Club
I made that one up at about 12:30 last night, that could be why it's messed up.

I have the book with me now, and for the first thing i had to transpose was in the key of C to the key of Eb in 3/4.

The original (in the key of C) went
E F F# | G C | B Bb | A | D D# E | F B | A Ab | G

I transposed it to Eb and wound up as. . .
G A(b) A(nat.) | Bb Eb | D Db | C | F F# G | Ab D | C Bb | C

I wrote in the flats for the key signature of Eb.
Bold=dotted 1/2 notes
Italics= 1/2 note
Last edited by R0CKER1220 at Jun 8, 2006,