Do you think they usually mean the song in its entirety with all the parts, or like the most recognizable parts to it?
the whole song. What the point of being able to play a single riff. You can't really play the song can you?
"Alright. Who wants some? "
in my family experience I think they just mean the part of the song that's recognizable.. like jingle bells or something
my dad played like 8 notes on my guitar and was like see I know a song
let me ask you this: if i were to ask you to play a song, would you play

A) a riff
B) a full song
C) debate whether it's A) or B)
Last edited by *kill'emall* at Jun 8, 2006,
I fantacize about doing violent things to them. I despise that question.

Hey man, what songs can you play?

Yeah, I'm going to go through the ****ing list and tell you all of the songs I can play.
if its a bitch you dont want to be talking to, list all the death metal band covers youre band does and play some friggin Inquisition Symphony or something like that. just to scare them the **** off.
I'd say
"I can play all the songs."
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
I usually ask them what they'd like to hear when I get the question. Most of em come with Green Day, and I treat them on some Maiden. (Hooked at least 2-3 people. )

I find them kinda funny though.
Just the other day at school I was shredding out Yngwie's Trilogy Suite, and this dude comes up to me and asks me if I know 2 Minutes to Midnight. So I say yeah sure, here you go...

...and THEN they go all crazy.
Thats the question that my stupid parents ask me all the time.

Its like, "GIVE US A TUNE" ...

So im like uhh okay, and play something old people would like.

And they are like, carry on! and im like...

"Well actually thats all the guitar there is in the song..."

So they are like.

"AW WELL KEEP PRACTICING."

So im like.

"WTF I PLAYED THAT PERFECTLY YOU UNGRATEFUL KUNT!"

---

Oh and solos its even worse, its like i learn/make a new solo and they wont even recognise it as a solo if i play it clean, they expect it to sound like its came from a £4000 amp and a full array of effects just because its a "solo!".
Last edited by Police Chief at Jun 8, 2006,
Can you play any songs?

My usual answer:
uhh...no, no i can't, i have spent the last 2 years playing nothing but scales and never even CONSIDERED playing a song, but you know what I might just look into that, thankyou.

Usually confuses them enough to give me time to walk away.
Oldest member of the "Guitarists Born in 1991" Club!. PM blues_rocker or greendayguitar to join.
I hate when people do that. They think it's gonna be so cool cause I might play one of their fav. songs...but guess what. I DON'T LIKE POP-PUNK.

Anyways I usually just make up a quickie blues riff.
I think it's good to build up a repertoire of about 8-12 songs you know from beginning to end. And it doesn't have to be note-for-note solos or anything (most non-guitar players don't give two ****s about solos), but just know all the chords from beginning to end, any major riffs, that kind of thing. Invariably people are going to ask you to play and you should be able to do at least something. I think a good one to start out with is Nirvana's cover of David Bowie's "Man Who Sold The World." There's no solo, there's the main riff, and then the chords are pretty easy, but in a cool kind of syncopated rhythm.
Quote by PuppetOfTallica
Can you play any songs?

My usual answer:
uhh...no, no i can't, i have spent the last 2 years playing nothing but scales and never even CONSIDERED playing a song, but you know what I might just look into that, thankyou.

Usually confuses them enough to give me time to walk away.

^^^^ There's no reason to be a dick to a person who just wants to hear you play like this guy is.
Hi, I'm Peter