Or can anybody play?
Have had a guitar for about two years but get disheartened everytime I try. I want to play awesome, and the songs I want to learn require that. I do read advice and I do put in the time (before getting disheartened) ... but give up too easy because sometime I can't even follow the most basic of lessons ... Theory is not my thing but I want to understand it all and be able to play...

Do I just not cut it? or has anybody had the same problem?
I'm betting ANYONE can play great (otherwise I'm screwed) with practice.

put it this way
people who play world of warcraft sometimes play like 100 or more days a year. as IN 2400 hours total. They have NOTHING to show for it after that.

I'm 100% sure that if someone spent that amount of time practicing the guitar they'd be awesome
Totally been there before.

I'm up to about four years now, and I still feel like that sometimes.

I say just keep practicing. Put as much time into it as you want back from it.
Shine on diamond eyes.
nobody has ever had that problem, in fact no one has any problems. it's a perfect world. you're dillusional. these people are lying to you. eat your salad meg
Alot of people get to that point where they wanna give up cause they can't play something. (I've been there) Some people probably quit because of that point. If u keep playing through thinking that you'll probably become very good with practice.
I am in the same boat. It sounds like you made the same mistake I did and thats trying to learn songs by Metallica, Van Halen, and other more popular bands.From the very start
No one is going to learn from trying to play these songs.

You need to start from the most basic lessons and work up from there.
Dont learn 50 intros, learn 1 whole song.

It is time consuming but if you want to play well you have to put in the time.

Good Luck
My Gear
Fender Strat ('97American Lonestar HSS)
Ibanez RGTHRG1
B-52 AT100
Marshall1960A Cab
Marshall 1960B Cab
Apply to guitar what I apply to everything when I'm learning: Aim high and learn along the way. I never can start from ground zero. If I'm learning something, like guitar for example, I'll pick a song I like which is out of my league, and learn the mechanics and basics along the way. You're more motivated if you're having fun.

Bry
Maybe a guitar teacher, a lot of them have great lesson plans to help you advance at your pace. I don't know if you are already taking lessons but I would look into it if you can afford it, especially if you feel that you aren't getting any better just playing by yourself.
Quote by Morello24
Or can anybody play?
Have had a guitar for about two years but get disheartened everytime I try. I want to play awesome, and the songs I want to learn require that. I do read advice and I do put in the time (before getting disheartened) ... but give up too easy because sometime I can't even follow the most basic of lessons ... Theory is not my thing but I want to understand it all and be able to play...

Do I just not cut it? or has anybody had the same problem?

I learned back in the 70's and quit. Always regretted it. Last month I started all over again. I stink, but I play every day.

My motivation: Every time I go out, I see these guys who clearly have only about 2 living brain cells playing their asses off. I figure if those test tube monkeys can do it, I damn sure can!

I have what I call "bad guitar days" where even the simplest songs don't wanna come out. My best friend, a player for 40+ years told me that if I'm having one of those days, I should step away from the guitar and use that time to locate sheet music or tabs for songs I like that are in my skill range.

That seems to help.
Id like to say that with practice everyone can be good...maybe not amazing, I think amazing comes with some kind of natural talent, but the level where everyone can say wow he knows what he is doing is obtainable...

But with that said...I think you also have to enjoy it and be into it, or else you just wont want to practise, you won't want to learn.

I like playing a lot, I like learning new scales...although I should learn more, haha. And I love just playing stuff that sounds cool, even if its really simple or really hard (really hard for me is still probably really easy for you other people, lol)

But I just hope my interest stays
I'm probably the lousiest player on the planet but then again I've only been at it for a month. At least my stepson, upon walking by my office, now actually recognizes some of the things I am working on as SONGS ("hey, is that Neil Young??" made my freakin' day!)

I'm still struggling with tabs--anything with numbers makes me nuts (I have something they call "math anxiety"...) but chords I get. So I'll never be a lead player ...
point is, if you pick stuff that's realistically within your skill level, you'll be a lot less frustrated.

And to whomever made the comment on the Fender Forum, is that where the older folks are???
Anyone can do it.. What I would suggest is pick out some easier songs or riffs to get you started learn and then start some basic exersizes and whenever you feel like giving up just start playing something that You've already learned and just look at it as Well in a week I learned that and then think about what you could learn in the next 52 until guitar just becomes something you do
Quote by outlawgal

I have what I call "bad guitar days" where even the simplest songs don't wanna come out. My best friend, a player for 40+ years told me that if I'm having one of those days, I should step away from the guitar and use that time to locate sheet music or tabs for songs I like that are in my skill range.

I get them, and its annoying some times. Its like I just can't get the same sound or same feel that I get on other days...'tis crazy.

Best thing to do then is either to just play something simpler, or just leave it for another day. Or work on some excersises for speed or accuracy etc.
Quote by outlawgal
I learned back in the 70's and quit. Always regretted it. Last month I started all over again. I stink, but I play every day.

My motivation: Every time I go out, I see these guys who clearly have only about 2 living brain cells playing their asses off. I figure if those test tube monkeys can do it, I damn sure can!

That seems to help.

I am a beginner as well, and reading this thread sure has been encouraging. Thanks for posting! And you're absolutely right, if those guys w/o 2 brain cells to rub together can play, well so can we, dammit!
You just gotta remember, your probably alot better than you consider yourself on those "bad guitar days". Just because you can't shred your ass off like crazy doesn't mean you are a bad player.

It ain't about being a competition, its about having a good time. In the words of Paul Gilbert, "What could be more fun than playing electric guitar?"
Play as much as possible. Try learning simple stuff. Learn as much simple riffs and simple solo's as possible. Then if your trying to learn an intermediate/hard song, and you get angry or disheartened, just sit back and black the simple stuff your like. Usually if im trying to learn something, and I get frustrated, I just sit back and play the first solo in "One", or "The Worm" my Audioslave.

Everyone gets to that point at one time or another, just work through it, the pain and work now will reward you later.