Page 1 of 2
I think as a beginner, I probably won't really be able to tell a big difference in tone between a starter guitar and a nice guitar, but I'm curious as to whether a nicer guitar is a lot easier/more enjoyable to play? And if so, is that something that a beginner will easily notice and benefit from?

I currently own a cheapie Epiphone SG Special... I've been tempted to upgrade to a better guitar, but I'm wondering if it'll make any noticable improvement to my playing at all. Or would a beginner not really be able to appreciate the difference between starter guitars versus good guitars?
the difference is better quality (it will last longer, and better wood)
and has alot nicer sound, and can hold its tune better, and sustain better too

i think you should jut stick with the epiohone, how long have you been playing, and was the epihone your first guitar, and how long have you had it
It really depends, you will notice a difference in the playability of better quality guitars. It depends on where you want 2 go with your guitar,
Eg, Whether you are only giong to pick it up everynown again and play it, or your going to practice 3+hours a day. Great players can play well on not great instruments.......
Well between you guitar and a mid-high range guitar you may not notice the difference.

Cheap, no-name brand guitars however, are commonly shoddily built, with fret buzz, high action, the works.

So upgrading won't really help your playing, but it will probably help your tone, it just depends on whether you can appreciate it or not.
I bet I have the same guitar as you...Epiphone SG Zebra?

Anyway, from my experience, have a better guitar doesn't make you better. What really matters is what you're playing. You can have the nicest, most expensive guitar in the world, but it won't matter if you can't play anything.
As for the more enjoyable part, well, I have tons of fun on my $50 strat knockoff, so I wouldn't worry about that.
I think what you should do is not worry about the quality of your guitar and rather strive to make it sound as good as it can. And relax, man, have fun with it! You have your whole life to get better!

-Peace-
Raoul Duke: There's a uh, big machine in the sky, some kind of, I dunno, electric snake, coming straight at us.

Dr. Gonzo: Shoot it.

Raoul Duke: Not yet, I want to study its habits.
An expensive guitar will feel a lot better, but won't sound much better if you're playing through a crap amp (god dam crates).
Quote by Half_Full
[IMG]http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/5971/uselessko5.gif[/IMG]

My Gear:
-Epiphone Les Paul Standard plus -honeyburst with Duncan Jb/59
-Crate gt65
-Boss ME-50
Future gear:
-Vox AC30 cc2
I find that I just cannot play a Squier Strat. I find them to be horrifically made, so yeh, I do get more enjoyment out of my Ibanez. Most Epiphones play nicely though.
Quote by WlCmToTheJungle
if ur going to play some american idiot stuff heres the settings:

Master Volume : 0
i dunno about the rest
Yeah they are easier to play.I started off with a nice Ibanez and then I bought a cheap strat copy from Ebay which sound like crap. Had really sharp fret edges (the high E string gets caught in this edges alot). A high quality guitar will not only sound better but be easier to play and it will encourage you to play more.
Well, i think that the difference i playing-style is in the fretboard and type of wood. Also, maybe you should check how far from the fretboard your strings are. The lower, the easier it is to play in my opinion.
I started out on a ****ing yahama or some ****, and then i switched to an epiphone les paul, and now i play a strat. When i switched from les paul to strat my playing improved, because of the fretboard and sizes of frets in general.
NOT QUITE A FEMBOT.

My setup as we speak:
Fender Stratocaster aw, Peavey Bandit 112, Crybaby hooked with 2 Boss pedals; delay and distortion.
yes, they are, the action is slower, the neck is generally faster and they make yousound like james Hetfield
Dude, if you buy a new one, say a standard telecaster, or something, then you will be motivated to play more and then get better.
NOT QUITE A FEMBOT.

My setup as we speak:
Fender Stratocaster aw, Peavey Bandit 112, Crybaby hooked with 2 Boss pedals; delay and distortion.
I would say that different types of guitar may be easier to play depending on the individual. This will depend on the weight of the wood, the shape of the neck, width of the fretboard etc. For example I have played nothing but strats for years, the other day I picked up a Les Paul and found it so wide and chunky that it was really uncomfortable to play. It all depends on what you prefer.

As far as quality goes as was said earlier a nicer sounding guitar is going to seem easier to play because you will get better results out of it, but the playability may not be all that different.
NO NO NO and NO!

Damn, some of you are living in fantasy-land.

Unless the guitar is total crap, a cheap guitar is not any more or less easy to
play than an expensive one. Buying a better guitar will NOT make you a better
player.

My cheap $200 plays just as "easily" as any number of my more expensive ones.
I've tried many other cheap ones for a friend looking to start (yes, squires too),
and guess what? I didn't find any that are "harder" to play. None. Not ONE.

Lower action and ease of play is simply NOT a function of the price of the guitar.
If you suck on your cheap guitar, you will most definitely suck on ANY guitar.
how you define nicer guitars? Sometimes more expensive doesnt mean anything, just something to smoke you . . .

My cheap agathis yamaha strat is still so comfy
A better guitar won't necessarily be "easier" to play, but it will generally be a lot more comfortable to play. Not to mention, a better guitar will (almost) definitely sound better than a cheaper one, or at least this has been my experience.
Quote by namman05
An expensive guitar will feel a lot better, but won't sound much better if you're playing through a crap amp (god dam crates).

What I can't understand is why you're buying an American strat instead of a new amp...
Quote by cody733
A better guitar won't necessarily be "easier" to play, but it will generally be a lot more comfortable to play....

That experience is all in your head. Comfort? What does that mean?

I have a few guitars that have an extra special "something" to how they feel.
To me. But that's rare. 99% of the "expensive" guitars have no better or
worse feel, ease or comfort than most of the "cheap" guitars I've tried.

It's nice to have a really nice guitar. Sure. But, no guitar ever made is going to
fix your playing. I often get the impression, people think thier gear is holding
them back. Probably it's not. There are no quick fixes in guitar. You want a
quick fix? Try heroin. Work on your practicing more, work on trying to figure out
what gear will fix your playing less.
To all of you saying cheap guitars are the same to play as an expensive one I have one thing to say, try playing a bolt-on with a squarish back where it bolts on, and then compare that to a neck-thru. Neck-thrus make sweeping on frets 15 - 24 so much easier...its crazy. Although bolt-ons with rounded backs are good but most entry level models have the square backs.
Gear:
Ibanez GRX40
Ibanez GSR200
Givson Jazz Acoustic
Marshall MG15DFX
Ibanez BSA10
Boss MT-2
Boss CS-3
Boss TR-2
Akai Variwah
Ibanez Paul Gilbert Picks
Ernie Ball Cables
Ibanez Cables
D'addario .9s (forever)
Quote by edg
That experience is all in your head. Comfort? What does that mean?

I have a few guitars that have an extra special "something" to how they feel.
To me. But that's rare. 99% of the "expensive" guitars have no better or
worse feel, ease or comfort than most of the "cheap" guitars I've tried.

It's nice to have a really nice guitar. Sure. But, no guitar ever made is going to
fix your playing. I often get the impression, people think thier gear is holding
them back. Probably it's not. There are no quick fixes in guitar. You want a
quick fix? Try heroin. Work on your practicing more, work on trying to figure out
what gear will fix your playing less.

Always great advice on a different perspective from edg, it's awesome stuff

An expensive guitar won't so much feel better, but to someone learning guitar, having a nice guitar is a way of getting yourself to play more. If you're constantly around a nice looking, nice sounding instrument -- you'll want to play with it more. If it looks like ****e and sounds it, chances are you won't really want to touch it as much.
My gear:
'96 Ibanez S540FMTT
'91 Standard Gibson SG [w/ Bare Knuckle Warpigs]
Peavey Triple XXX 112
Quote by Jarrott
Always great advice on a different perspective from edg, it's awesome stuff

An expensive guitar won't so much feel better, but to someone learning guitar, having a nice guitar is a way of getting yourself to play more. If you're constantly around a nice looking, nice sounding instrument -- you'll want to play with it more. If it looks like ****e and sounds it, chances are you won't really want to touch it as much.

Hah. Thanks.

Yeah, you may be wanting to play more, but that's a head trip.

Just yesterday I happened to be in a nice guitar shop -- had to bring in a guitar
for a fix. Tried lots of stuff -- LPs, SG Supremes, Fender Custom Shops, Gibson
Custom Shop, Jacksons. I could easily have bought one I found "killer". I
happened to like the MIM Thinline Tele best. $2000-$3000 guitars were nice.
Nothing super special though and nothing that I thought was more comfortable
or easier to play than my $200 Ibanez.
Meh.. I dunno... I must say though, the neck on my Ibanez plays like a dream after playing some low-end schecters (extreme series) and epi's today in shops.. I find that theres less 'friction' on my ibanez neck that I find on some of the lower-end guitars..

EDIT: Oh, and btw, for me the difference is bigger while soloing than while riffing. But yea, like ppl said earlier, if you've just started playing then it wont make a big difference
Last edited by svanzon at Jun 8, 2006,
I feel more comfortable on my mim strat that my friends american delux for some reason.
you will probably feel a difference and have a preference to different guitars. Some are "easier" to play but will not make you play better
Thanks for the input, everyone!

The reason I asked my question is that I recently went down to the local GC and picked up a Fender Strat, and it just felt like it was easier to play. I don't know if it was just my imagination, or if it was because it's a nicer guitar than mine. Mainly, I noticed the neck felt more comfortable... I think maybe it's because it's thinner than the neck on my Epiphone SG (I have fairly small hands).

Oh, and my guitar is the Epiphone SG that comes in their starter pack. The entire pack cost $179, so I'd imagine it's a pretty bare bones guitar. And, I've only been playing for a little over a month, so I think it's more just guitar lust versus need that's making me want to get a new guitar.
I have an Ibanez G10 and a Fender Telecaster. The Telecaster is not more comfortable than the G10, but the sound is much better.
When I heard smoking would kill me, I bought shares in Dunhill and Marlboro - Thomas Geraghty

If we don't change it, nothing will fucking change.
Quote by globetro
Thanks for the input, everyone!

The reason I asked my question is that I recently went down to the local GC and picked up a Fender Strat, and it just felt like it was easier to play. I don't know if it was just my imagination, or if it was because it's a nicer guitar than mine. Mainly, I noticed the neck felt more comfortable... I think maybe it's because it's thinner than the neck on my Epiphone SG (I have fairly small hands).

Oh, and my guitar is the Epiphone SG that comes in their starter pack. The entire pack cost $179, so I'd imagine it's a pretty bare bones guitar. And, I've only been playing for a little over a month, so I think it's more just guitar lust versus need that's making me want to get a new guitar.

it will feel easier to play if you are more comfortable with it. What people seem to get the wrong idea about is that it will make you a better player
The only thing that could improve your playing with a new guitar would be if it had a more comforable neck. You'll play a bit better if you find the neck of the guitar comfortable. That will all be preference, so you should try some other guitars and see how you like them.

You'll know what guitars you like the feel of as soon as you play them.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
When I first started I had a **** begginer ibanez pack guitar. I didnt know anythign about guitars than and all I wanted was a fender strat. So I ended up going out and buying the coolest looking fender strat I could find. Now, I wish I had waited till I knew somethign about guitars. and at the time I could tell jack **** between the too other than one was purple and one was red. I would definetly wait. I only wish I waited.
Quote by Johnljones7443
Shredding is having control over your instrument and being free of technical obstacles so your music is not limited by your playing ability.

Quote by Aidy Damage
Classical Gas is when you fart and it smells like the inside of a violin. EVERYONE knows that. n00bs...
Quote by nofxnofxnofx
it will feel easier to play if you are more comfortable with it. What people seem to get the wrong idea about is that it will make you a better player

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I mean, sure it won't make me a better player, but if it makes playing more enjoyable, then that would indirectly make me improve faster.
Quote by Devon8822
When I first started I had a **** begginer ibanez pack guitar. I didnt know anythign about guitars than and all I wanted was a fender strat. So I ended up going out and buying the coolest looking fender strat I could find. Now, I wish I had waited till I knew somethign about guitars. and at the time I could tell jack **** between the too other than one was purple and one was red. I would definetly wait. I only wish I waited.

Yeah, that's what I worry about too. Right now, I really like the Fender Strat too. It seems like a very solid, versatile guitar of decent quality. And I like the look of it too. It seems like the Honda Civic of guitars... they're a dime a dozen, won't really blow you away, but is solid and reliable.

But I do worry that once I get more experience under my belt, I'll want something better/different/more "specialized".
Actually, better guitars are better to play. I upgraded from a POS squier strat to an ESP F-250 and I noted a HUGE difference.
1) Sound. You get a totally different sound from beginner guitars
2) Feel. The neck on my squier was so hard to mess with. Now I can go all over my ESP's neck with ease.
3) Yes, if you have a cool new guitar that sounds awesome and feels comfortable, you will practice more and feel more motivated.Thing is.. you have to pick up an expensive guitar that you feel COMFORTABLE WITH.
My Band

Equipment:
ESP EC-500 EMG 81/85
Mesa Boogie MK III
Marshall 1960B cab
Nicer guiatrs are easier to play, sicne they probably won't bite you...

No really, actully a really bad setup "nice" guitar can be very hard to play, but you if you set it up it probably won't be.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by IXI Streak IXI
Actually, better guitars are better to play. I upgraded from a POS squier strat to an ESP F-250 and I noted a HUGE difference.
1) Sound. You get a totally different sound from beginner guitars
2) Feel. The neck on my squier was so hard to mess with. Now I can go all over my ESP's neck with ease.
3) Yes, if you have a cool new guitar that sounds awesome and feels comfortable, you will practice more and feel more motivated.Thing is.. you have to pick up an expensive guitar that you feel COMFORTABLE WITH.

Yeah, I'm actually thinking that another reason to hold off on getting a new guitar is that if I ever start feeling a lack of motivation to practice, I can buy a new guitar to help kickstart my interest again.

I've also been wanting to get my guitar setup by a guitar tech, but considering the cost of getting a setup is probably pretty close to the cost of my current guitar, I figured I'd hold off until I got a better one.
i think they are easier, once you get used to them. moving from a solid body strat to a thicker gibson 335 with the different horns and size and everything with a shorter scale would take a little bit to adjust to.
the difference lies in what wood the neck is made out of and hows it shaped. also the thickness. to hell with anything else.
NOT QUITE A FEMBOT.

My setup as we speak:
oh, **** those ****ers at guitar24.de or some **** just sent me a '60 reissue strat indstead of a normal standard. i didn't have to pay extra.
NOT QUITE A FEMBOT.

My setup as we speak:
Quote by TeenBite
I find that I just cannot play a Squier Strat. I find them to be horrifically made, so yeh, I do get more enjoyment out of my Ibanez. Most Epiphones play nicely though.

ok for a start an ibanez has alot thinner neck and the action on an ibanez is great so no wonder u dont like strats
Quote by edg
. Tried lots of stuff-- Jacksons..

Which models?
Jackson SLSMG Soloist (JB/Jazz)
Roland Micro Cube

Member of UG's gain \/\/hores-pm gpderek09 to join.
Different guitars are different to play on. For example, I find the body of the Les Paul to thick for it to be comfortable to play on, therefore I play crap with it, when I pick up a budget guitar like a B.C Rich however, it just suits me, and I play like Slash (well, almost).
U need to find a guitar that suits u, instead of going off to buy a guitar that really top of the line, but u play crap on.
Member 15 of the IRON MAIDEN ARE GODS club. PM Revelations to join.

Founder of the I love nickelodeon club. PM me to join.
Page 1 of 2