hey, i am going to buy a new guitar soon and im not sure what one i should get, because i want it to sound like the master of puppets record. currently i have my squir with humbuckers in it and i have a behringer v ampire amp but i want some thing that gives a more metallica sound can any one help me with this.

cheers andrew.
Moved to EG.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
You want some kind of ESP KH or JH. Or another similar guitar fully loaded with EMGs. But Master of Puppets has lots of layered guitars to give it a thicker sound which is hard to achieve so basically if you like the live sound do this.

Oh and drop the Behringer:P
Thanks for reading
In case you just mean the classic metallica distortion sound, i use a behringer ultra metal pedal (a cheapo rip-off of the boss metal-zone) with max distortion, about half high, full low, no mid and about a quarter mid freq. You can tweak this to suit whatever pedal you have, but i find it has a good tone, especially for the MoP album.

EDIT: whoops, didn't read your post properly, you NEED a metal distortion pedal of some description to get a real metallica sound, that is if your behringer amp is only a small one with crappy overdrive, if it's a large amp with good quality dist, still play around with the above settings and see how that goes.
Oldest member of the "Guitarists Born in 1991" Club!. PM blues_rocker or greendayguitar to join.
Last edited by PuppetOfTallica at Jun 8, 2006,
They use scooped Mids....high bass and treble and low Mids in the EQ. My boss GT-8 has a Heavy Metal Drive Patch and that sounds just like Seek And Destroy and Fade To Black.
But, what you really need is a guitar loaded with EMG's and a Rectifier with High Distortion.
Slash rules.....
lol you have the same set up as me only i actually have a pedal, only i dont understand the whole distortion stuff so i dont use it. its a danelectro t-bone i think and it just makes my amp buzz like hell... i so want a boss or digitech pedal

anywho i can play like one of their songs where it sounds like em and thats whiskey in the jar and it doesnt sound that good simply because i cant play worth ****
they use alot of distortion in master of puppets so a pedal may help man.
I AM THE DEMUN OF METAL BWAHAHA
Bwahaha Feel My PoWeRgrrr
Member2BoycottMcdonaldsGroup pm rockergurl09 2join
Verdammt Zuhalter, Abhanden kommen!
demun: D,ee,Muhn-similar to a demi-god only opposite as a half human half demon.
u should get an ESP man.. theyre the best i think for classic Metallica stuff and as all u guys mentioned too grab a good pedal...
when i changed pickups and amp a friend came home to see my new gear and played a bit and he said after 10 secs od playing holy sh*t it sound like master of puppets ,u have the same sound (^if that helps,u need mahogany guitar EMG active pickups 81Hum for some crunch,the 85 is too bassy for metallica,
and an amp with a lots of distortion or a good pedal) check my gear but that thing u really want is a mesa boogie and an ESP with active emgs (6000euro gear)

My Gear:
Epihone Gothic X-plorer+EMGS 81/60
Jackson WARRIOR JS30+EMGS 81/60(soon will be installed)
Randall G2 series RG75 75watt
Behringer X V-Amp
get one of the kirk hammett ESPs. thats about as metallica as you can get. pretty self-explanatory
Proud owner of a Gibby LP Custom and an all-original Vintage '62 Fender Jag

Quote by richwatkinson
Give 10 UGers a rope and ask them to pull. 4 will push, 1 will ask for buttsecks, 2 will tell you get an Ibanez and the last 3 will start complaining about Line6 Spiders.
I would say that you will not get Metallica's sound from a guitar alone...
What you need is to save up and buy a Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier
That will get you as close as posisble to their tone.
Remember
Great guitar through a ****ty amp = **** tone
****ty guitar though a great amp = great tone
[Founder of the Ibanez S players club.] Pm Me to Join
my behringer amp has a mesa boogie dual recto simulation, and i bought a cort EVL-k6 and that has a emg 81 in the bridge it sounds great.
thnx guys