What I've heard I like but I don't have any records by them, so what do you punk connoisseurs recommend?
Quote by fadingboy
Very witty

In that case...

I would recommend the s/t for starters, if not for anything else, at LEAST for "I wanna be your dog," possibly the greatest punk song of all time. I can't say the same for "We Will Fall," but if you can get into that good for you.

Most would agree that "Raw Power" has the meat of the Stooges discography. You can really shake your ass to it. Not to mention Fun House, but if you want the cream, get'em all. I mean, whats the alternative? Buying another Crass CD? I think not.
SIZE]
Quote by ss311
He may not want the cream. Are you vegan?

harharhar.

between me and my dad we have a pretty good collection of stooges stuff. I have the complete fun house sessions with outtakes and alternate version its great.
And after you've gotten really into the Stooges, check out the bands MC5 and Destroy All Monsters and/or get stuff by punk bands that covered Stooges songs, if you haven't already.
Such as:

Radio Birdman, who cover "TV Eye" on "Radios Appear"
The Damned, who cover "1970 (I Feel Alright)" on "Damned, Damned, Damned"
Sex Pistols, who cover "No Fun" on "Nevermind The Bollocks"
Dictators, who cover "Search And Destroy" on Manifest Destiny
Quote by sargasm
I don't like straight edge because it's part of Hardcore, and I don't like Hardcore because, aside from the terrible music, the kids are often very homophobic.

You forgot ugly, lazy and disrespectful.
I suggest Fun house and Raw power.

I have trouble deciding which I like best. I lean towards Raw Power most of the time though.

James Williamson > Ron Asheton, although Asheton makes a great bassist IMO.
Quote by indestructible8
johnny nemo. where is No Fun on Nevermind the Bollocks?

Oops.
I meant the B side to Pretty Vacant.
And it's on the "Original Pistols Live".
Quote by sargasm
I don't like straight edge because it's part of Hardcore, and I don't like Hardcore because, aside from the terrible music, the kids are often very homophobic.

Quote by indestructible8
i wouldnt suggest cream, but that song about white curtains is pretty neat. and there is nothing wrong with buying another crass cd.

johnny nemo. where is No Fun on Nevermind the Bollocks?

Jesus Christ guys, I wasnt suggesting he listen to Cream, I was using the word as in "Cream of the crop."
SIZE]
Quote by indestructible8
how do we know you havent been lying to us this whole time?

Hahaha.
What?

Lying about what?
If I lied to you, I'd have better stories than "I grew up on the East Coast with crappy hardcore bands everywhere and I hated it."
My stories would be more like "I lived in NYC when punk first happened. I went to Max's Kansas City and shot up with Sid and Johnny Thunders, plus I smoked crack with the Dead Boys."
Quote by sargasm

You smoked crack with the Dead Boys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!????????????
Hahahaha.
No..........but I do know a guy who did coke with Johnny Thunders in the 80s.
Quote by sargasm

Sorry my awful sense of humour should see me hung. However, I don't believe in capital punishment.

Johnny Thunders is a great guitarist...
Quote by ScummerVacation

I would recommend the s/t for starters, if not for anything else, at LEAST for "I wanna be your dog," possibly the greatest punk song of all time. I can't say the same for "We Will Fall," but if you can get into that good for you.

I personally think their s/t is their best, though all of them are good. I also love "We Will Fall". Does that make me wierd?
Their first album was the best, Now I Wanna Be Your Dog is such a good song, it has christmas bells or something at the beginning.
Quote by MTVget0FFtheAIR

"ur a fag if you don't pronounce the lightning bolt in ac/dc"

touche. who wuzzit?

Quote by lookie here
OMG! smile_man, that was amazing.
Quote by smile_man
Their first album was the best, Now I Wanna Be Your Dog is such a good song, it has christmas bells or something at the beginning.

The Stooges seemed to like those little touches.

For example the Piano track (at least it sounds like a piano) in the song "Raw Power" is literally one note played at varying rhythms.
Quote by Iluvpowerchords
The Stooges seemed to like those little touches.

For example the Piano track (at least it sounds like a piano) in the song "Raw Power" is literally one note played at varying rhythms.

Are you sure that the piano track you were talking about isn't in "I Wanna Be Your Dog"?

And by the way , is you display picture of E Z E?
Quote by MTVget0FFtheAIR

"ur a fag if you don't pronounce the lightning bolt in ac/dc"

touche. who wuzzit?

Quote by lookie here
OMG! smile_man, that was amazing.
Quote by smile_man
Are you sure that the piano track you were talking about isn't in "I Wanna Be Your Dog"?

And by the way , is you display picture of E Z E?

There is a one note piano track on both I believe.

And yes, that is Easy E. He loved his ho's, and sadly that's what did him in.
Unfortunately that doesn't work against Paris Hilton. When she orgasms, the entire she's in gets herpes.
A Sex Pistols cover of No Fun?! I would have sex with a rock to find a copy of that.

On topic, any of their albums are great. Raw Power is probably the most commercial/accessible (though with the Stooges, that doesn't really mean anything, as it's still the musical equivalent of being smashed in the face with a brick made of gold). Any of them are good to start with.

My personal favorite is their debut (self-titled).
Peace, peace, and that's my piece.

Just another pale, skinny, noiserawkin' indie boy with tousled hair

Last.fm
If you want that version of no fun pm me and I'll see if I can find it.
Quote by rocknroll blues
A Sex Pistols cover of No Fun?! I would have sex with a rock to find a copy of that.

On topic, any of their albums are great. Raw Power is probably the most commercial/accessible (though with the Stooges, that doesn't really mean anything, as it's still the musical equivalent of being smashed in the face with a brick made of gold). Any of them are good to start with.

My personal favorite is their debut (self-titled).

dont have sex with rocks, you could have big problems.
Quote by CowsWithGuns
I don't want to give myself over to a world of Regina Spektor, Van Gogh posters, and loud conversations about how wasted they got.
Quote by rocknroll blues

There's at least 3 different versions.