Page 1 of 2
Good stuff to listen to when you're high, or going to sleep. Although if I'm not doing any of those things, I find them boring as fuck. Still good, though. Any thoughts?
My Last.FM page. Add me!

Quote by severed-metal
I frequent so many big dick forums it's ridiculous

PSN name: sixty5days
Last edited by kirkisking at Jun 8, 2006,
Sunn0))) is some pretty interesting stuff (oxymoron?). Saw them with Earth a while back, there realy is a different feel to ther music altogether when its live, it becomes extremely visceral.

EDIT - It's prononced Sunn if anyone was wondering
Goooooooooooooood music
2006 AND 2007 Ultimate Guitar Best Vocalist

Quote by Magero
Jack - 3:54 AM
I will smoke, and eat and watch Futurama in your honour
Sunn is art. I always prefered Earth when it came to drone doom though. I really want to see them live, but I havent seen any gigs pop up recently.
Quote by DanRev
Sunn is art. I always prefered Earth when it came to drone doom though. I really want to see them live, but I havent seen any gigs pop up recently.

They played at Islington academy back in Febuary...I only just caught them myself as it happens.

And I agree, Earth are awesome as well. Hex = pwnage
Last edited by chylde_of_fire at Jun 8, 2006,
Quote by chylde_of_fire
They played at Islington academy back in Febuary...I only just caught them myself as it happens.

And I agree, Earth are awesome as well. Hex = pwnage

I've seen gig reviews, and the whole thing just seems so... for lack of a better word, cool.

When they turn the amps off, it feels like a massive weight has been taken off your body apparently?
Quote by DanRev
I've seen gig reviews, and the whole thing just seems so... for lack of a better word, cool.

When they turn the amps off, it feels like a massive weight has been taken off your body apparently?

Thats one way you could put it...the friend who I went with said that while they were playing he felt as though there was somthing lifting him up and pressing on him at the same time, so I guess it varies from person to person.
I've been trying to find a sample of them online for quite some time now, but either there's not one there, or I'm missing something. (Wouldn't be the first time.)
You have to be in the mood to listen to them. Sometimes, their the last thing I want to listen to, and sometimes, I really want to listen to them. I guess it varies from person to person though.
When stoned these guys are scary as ****. They're great for falling asleep, and a good listen normally. I missed a chance to see them last week, but my friends who went could not hear the next day.
Quote by the_antipop
When stoned these guys are scary as ****. They're great for falling asleep, and a good listen normally. I missed a chance to see them last week, but my friends who went could not hear the next day.

Probably because of all the bass.
My Last.FM page. Add me!

Quote by severed-metal
I frequent so many big dick forums it's ridiculous

PSN name: sixty5days
I keep meaning to check these guys out - quote from their guitarist in Total Guitar a while back; "Too low is when you start using bass strings on your guitar."
When I first heard Sunn O)))'s album, "Black One", I was like

IT'S SO GOOD!!!

*puts on black cape and walks around verrrrrry slowwwwwly*
Ill admit i liek Sunn, but they go into the DickFace group ive established with certain porcupine tree songs, tool, and all other drone metal... dead silence, one continuous note, or the same riff for 16 minutes is not art, it doesnt speak, there is no emotion, david glimour of all people teaches us less is more. The DickFace group teaches us people are gullible when it comes to talent, and associate "originality" and "innovention" [used very loosely] with talent. just cuz sumthiens different doesnt make it good.... thats my two cents
MYSELF INFLUECE I

soo much n00bage
Quote by xX Maverick Xx
sorry to bust everyones bubble but lamb of god arent "hardcore" theyre death metal, and therefore metal.
Quote by Spark1284
Ill admit i liek Sunn, but they go into the DickFace group ive established with certain porcupine tree songs, tool, and all other drone metal... dead silence, one continuous note, or the same riff for 16 minutes is not art, it doesnt speak, there is no emotion, david glimour of all people teaches us less is more. The DickFace group teaches us people are gullible when it comes to talent, and associate "originality" and "innovention" [used very loosely] with talent. just cuz sumthiens different doesnt make it good.... thats my two cents
Here's your two cents back. Keep the change.
haha im sorry to offend, i jsut dont get how people can think so highly of one note with ridiculous sustain
MYSELF INFLUECE I

soo much n00bage
Quote by xX Maverick Xx
sorry to bust everyones bubble but lamb of god arent "hardcore" theyre death metal, and therefore metal.
Quote by Spark1284
haha im sorry to offend, i jsut dont get how people can think so highly of one note with ridiculous sustain
That's the thing...it's not one note. And it's not so much about the music as the vibe behind it...the whole mood. It's the musical equivalent of a heartbeat, or of the ocean...it's gentle and still, then it tosses you about on the waves like a leaf...then it becomes unbelievably calm again.
Listen to one of their albums in the dark, with the light out...I'm positive your opinion will change.
Quote by <><
That's the thing...it's not one note. And it's not so much about the music as the vibe behind it...the whole mood. It's the musical equivalent of a heartbeat, or of the ocean...it's gentle and still, then it tosses you about on the waves like a leaf...then it becomes unbelievably calm again.
Listen to one of their albums in the dark, with the light out...I'm positive your opinion will change.

a song shouldnt need a setting change to be good, if it cant be good everywhere then it isnt good anywhere
MYSELF INFLUECE I

soo much n00bage
Quote by xX Maverick Xx
Quote by Spark1284
a song shouldnt need a setting change to be good, if it cant be good everywhere then it isnt good anywhere

Thats bollocks right there.

Listening to grindcore when really fucking angry makes it all the better, listening to stoner metal stoned makes it all the better. Different situations make different music.

I bought transilvanian hunger a couple of weeks ago, first listen I thought it was shit, boring and repetitive. Gave it another listen when I was in pitch black on my own in the house and heavy rainfall. Made it an absolutely amazing album.
Quote by Spark1284

Further insight from our local 17 yr old guru.

Quote by Magero
Quote by Spark1284

Well, aren't you quite the wise old sage

I'd like to sodomize you with a meathook.
Last edited by totenkopf at Jun 10, 2006,
I Cannibal Corpse-esque flamings. Don't ruin this thread though, Back to Sunn O))). I do like them but only when I'm in the mood (meaning stoned). I would definatly like to see them live though.
Ride the dragon toward the crimson eye...

Vaginal Destruction

^ Do you like sludgey stoner/doom? Well then you should try Vaginal Destruction
im saying a band cant be godly if u need a special setting, that doesnt mean theyre bad, sunn is rocks rather awesomely, but they arent gods... Opeth is good at any time and every time, hence they are godlike. calm the hell down
MYSELF INFLUECE I

soo much n00bage
Quote by xX Maverick Xx
Quote by Spark1284
im saying a band cant be godly if u need a special setting, that doesnt mean theyre bad, sunn is rocks rather awesomely, but they arent gods... Opeth is good at any time and every time, hence they are godlike. calm the hell down

You know, other than the fact Ghost Reveries was a pretty boring album.

Quote by Magero
the grand cojuration was a disaster and the cleaner stuff sure wasnt fantastic, but the first 4 tracks were sick
MYSELF INFLUECE I

soo much n00bage
Quote by xX Maverick Xx
What kind of band is Sunn O)))? Sludge metal? I've never heard their music
Quote by mrmoo182
What kind of band is Sunn O)))? Sludge metal? I've never heard their music

Drone doom...

Like earth.

Anyway, I think Sunn need to push something new into the mix. Earth had a western drone album, it was themed and sounded good. Sunn could benefit from theming their next a little, otherwise it gets too repetitive.
Quote by Spark1284

Music, when put under a metaphorical microscope, attains its merit from the reception of its listener. Nihilistically speaking, the feeling of the listener can be only assigned the variables "good" or "bad" subjectively and without objective reason. Thus, it can be further deduced that any musical feeling--which is, in essence, the music itself--cannot be given definite quality. Now to put this in relation to the subject at hand it would be wise to look into the nature of said feelings music inflicts. They are not static; in fact, they are affected from everything from situation to memory. In the former it could be because one has either a visual aid or it somehow influences the situation itself, and the latter because it is subconscious to associate music with certain periods of time if listened to frequently in the durance of that period--such that if the period is positive for the listener, the music, too, can be associated with that positivity. Setting deals with the senses, primarily, and that includes hearing. Obviously, senses all affect each other mutually to give a person the nearest to perfect understanding of the environment around them. So, syllogistically, other senses will inevitably affect the sense of hearing (or the reception of the music, in this situation) and it can make one's feelings change positively or negatively towards said music. In other words, setting affects how one feels when listening to music. And, since the music is good or bad only due to these feelings, the setting affects the quality of the music.
o well when u use big words... nothing changes. sunn is good music but its not great in any light. that is my opinion but please everyone feel free to continue telling me how i think
MYSELF INFLUECE I

soo much n00bage
Quote by xX Maverick Xx
A lot of things affect your interpretation of what is good and what is bad music. It is the experiences that the listener endures that gives him/her certain characteristics at the time to obtain a specific mood. That mood relies strongly on the setting and the current condition of the listener. SunnO))) when listened to at the right time (while asleep) can in essence be good depending on what you're feeling. They make me fall asleep, but they do it with style.
I've found Jesus
hmm... i can agree with that
MYSELF INFLUECE I

soo much n00bage
Quote by xX Maverick Xx
Page 1 of 2