I am thinking about sanding the finish off of the back of my neck. I have seen this on guitars like the Gibson Zakk Wylde les paul, and a few others. Does anybody have any experience with this?? Does it make the guitar play easier?? Could I just take a high grit sand paper and sand it myself?? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
I do it to all my guitars. Bare wood feels so much nicer.
I just start with very rough sand paper and work my way down to steel wool.

The neck will get dirty though, and will become slighty grey/greenish.
Is it really that easy to do?? Do the necks come out looking OK, and do I need to put anything on the neck when I am done sanding, or just let it raw like that??
I persoanlly wouldn't start with rough paper, you're more likely to go overboard and change the contour of the neck. I'd normally just use medium/fine paper and keep checking your work as you go so as not go too far with it.
My gear;

Custom HSS Strat (eBay'ed parts)
Fender Acoustic
DOD EQ
EH Big Muff
Home-made Wah
Home-made Booster
Laney LC15

Looking for a Jazz Bass body to refinish

My DeviantArt Page, MySpace Profile
so why do this? whats this do?
Quote by deg0ey
The best pickups for emo are no pickups at all...

Gear:

1996 Les Paul Classic w/ Alnico II's
Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
Quote by robmarsden01
I persoanlly wouldn't start with rough paper, you're more likely to go overboard and change the contour of the neck. I'd normally just use medium/fine paper and keep checking your work as you go so as not go too far with it.

With 'rough' I mean medium.
you also might want to be careful thats your neck doesnt warp because if your hands sweat alot when your playing that may happen apparently

might be an idea for a different finish, im not sure what the finish on that guitar is but alot of people like lemon oil and stuff like that
Bare wood, correctly protected with some oil (linseed, lemon) creates a faster playing neck. Just be sure to take into account that if you do that, you've shot the value of the guitar if you ever want to resell it.

With an LP I would tape off (2 or 3 layers of masking tape) where you don't want to scratch your finish, give yourself a little insurance on the rest of your guitar's finish. The clearcoat will be tough to get through, I would suggest a medium grain sandpaper 100-120 grit. Then progress to 220 grit to smooth it out, get rid of all the splinters. Wipe it down with a well rung out damp cloth (almost dry, just enough moisture to pick up the dust). Do this once or twice until you don't get anymore dust on the cloth.

Then protect the bare wood by getting a microfiber cloth and applying pure oil, nothing with detergents. I use boiled linseed oil, you can get it in the paint dept. at a home improvement store. Use very little, just a dab on the cloth will do. Wipe it down, wait about 10 minutes, then wipe off the excess with the dry part of the cloth. You will need to do this once every year or two depending on how much you play. Oils from your hands will eventually discolor the wood, so be prepared for that as well.
I was gonna do that to make the neck more comfortable, but I found baby powder reduces friction alot on the neck and doesnt kill the resale value of the guitar.