Well here the deal: I've got a DSL 401 combo but I really don't like the tone not enough gain or sustain... Sure I could solve this with a OD pedal but still when I plugg in a OD it sure sounds alot better but there isn't gain enough sustain theres loads of but it get very muddy and noisy. Also I suffer from the clean channels weaknesses.... Im not satisfied with it at all.
Since I have some spare money I thought I could trade it in for a ENGL Screamer 50.
I want an amp I can live my whole life out with and never be unsatisfied. Will the screamer fill in for the DSL's weaknesses? Will I be satisfied? I guess I was kinda hasty when I was buying my DSL..
Help me out! Ides and suggestions are very very welcomed!
Yes, yes, the Engl is awesome. A complete step up from the DSL.
It's a fine line between clever and stupid.
the engl screamer pwns the dsl.

will you be happy with it for your entire life?

don't try the se or the savage, and you might.

the screamer is an awesome little amp for the cash, but it's not the be all and end all. I don't see you getting rid of it any time soon, though.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
next step would be a juggernaught of high gain stack mayheym.
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
^ possibly, I haven't tried it.

I heard lordriffenstien say that the new improved version (EDIT: of the sovereign) reminds him of the savage se (my engl- and his! he has a savage as well, though) and if that's true, it's awesome. But as dan says, that means it's more refined, too.

Awesome, but maybe not what you're after.

it's up to you. As derek says, an engl halfstack is probably what you want if gain is your major objective- but that's not to say that the screamer doesn't have a lot of gain: it has quite a bit more than the dsl.

You really need to try them- although I vastly prefer engl to marshall, you might not.
But from what you're saying about the muddiness of the dsl, i suspect you'll love engl. Because I thought the dsl was muddy too.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Engl, hands down. The DSL401 is very subpar, despite the fact it's based on a great amp and is all-tube.
2005 Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Marshall JCM900 MKIII Master Volume head
Carvin G412T cabinet
Line 6 DL-4
Boss BF-3
Boss CS-3
Boss NS-2
Boss OD-20
Boss PH-2
Ibanez TS-7 (being modded soon!)
Thanks for all the help guys!
I got the Marshall and I like 1 thing with it and thats the crunch. Its quite tight and it sounds just like a crunchy sound should do(OD1 that is but still it ain't as i want it). Will the Screamers crunch be better? Hows the sustain of the screamer?(Im a tapper as you can tell :P)
Also my local store don't got screamers atm but I guess I could get them to order...
But they do have a ENGL classic combo. Would the classic combo give me an idea how the screamer sounds?
^ the engl classic combo sounds nothing like the screamer, unfortunately. It's a lot warmer sounding. The closest engl high gain amp that i've tried, compared to the classic tube, is my savage se's clean and crunch 1 channels. And they don't sound too like the classic tube, just little parts of that tone remind me slightly of it, at times. EDIT: you might as well try the classic tube, though, just to see. Just remember, it's the only "vintage" engl, pretty much, the other ones sound a lot different. It'd be kinda like trying to judge what a mesa recto sounds like by trying their lone star, for example... it's just plain not going to tell you much, if anything...

I don't know if the screamer's crunch is any better EDIT: than the marshall. It'll be tighter, that's for sure. Different, is a better description.

The sustain is excellent on the screamer. especially with the gain and/or master volume up.

you need to try it, basically- and remember to download the manual from www.engl-amps.com before trying it- some of the features/knobs have strange names, and you don't want to try the amp and then get home to realise that you didn't try the high gain mode, for example.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I've got the Engl Screamer and i like it alot, but it is a very bright sounding amp. That may be a good thing if you are not looking for the Mesa type high gain sound (although with the right settings it can be VERY dark sounding!).

If you can try it out remember that the EQ is very sensitive, so use alot of time with it in the store before you discard it!
I know a guy who gets great cleans/distortion/sustain out of his DSL. In fact, he just got it back from the shop yesterday. It sounded fantastic.

I personally am not a fan of the screamers. They're much more of a 'rock' amp than a metal amp. But if thats your thing then go for it.
^ dsl combo or head, geno? I hear the heads are meant to sound better (i've only tried the combo).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Also would it be worth going and trying the classic combo at all? Better to try something a bit like then not try anything at all? So what you're saying is that it won't do metal geno?
To be honest I don't really play that much metal but it sure happends. I like to have more gain than I need instead of having lack of gain that is so annoying
Engl screamer. I've never played one but i heard clips. And it ****ing rocked. Much better than any dsl atleast.
^^ you might as well try the classic tube. Just be aware that the screamer doesn't really sound like it.

I could do killswitch engage on channel 4 with the gain about 9 on the heavy lead channel of the screamer. With paf pro (i.e. not super hot pickups).

So I say it can do modern metal. Definitely. on channel 4.

Can it do it as well as a powerball? No. And geno has a powerball.

It's all down to what you personally think- you need to try it, basically.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Iliketapping
Also would it be worth going and trying the classic combo at all? Better to try something a bit like then not try anything at all? So what you're saying is that it won't do metal geno?
To be honest I don't really play that much metal but it sure happends. I like to have more gain than I need instead of having lack of gain that is so annoying

No, I'm saying that it will do Metal, but it just isnt really a METAL amp like others. Even ENGL's website uses 'rock' in the description of the amp.

If you don't play it often there would definitely be no problem. The only gripe I had with it was that if you were using ch 4 for metal you wouldn't have a lead channel ( you could use some kind of booster anyway but yeah) however since you arent a mainly/strictly metal player it seems to be good for you.

Not bashing the amp, because its ENGL and ENGL make great products, but I'm just kinda letting you know something that people often times overlook, thinking ENGL = Most metal amps ever.

The DSL my friend has IS a head, but it sounded -fantastic- The cleans were ****ing AMAZING! Maybe it was the built in reverb I can't believe my powerball doesn't have reverb! GAH.
Thx guys you really helped me out here! It got enough gain for everything aye? Just a bit worried I hate to not have enoguh gain... kills me..
I can't get anything better if Im not getting a halfstack/stack aye? If I want to stay within the line of common sence?
Last edited by Iliketapping at Jun 9, 2006,
Yeah it has enough gain for everything, but barely, haha. ENGL are great, clear, tight, articulate amps. If you like tapping you should be satisfied.
Lovely Thx alot! Well Im set just gonna try to sell the DSL now then! Im hopefully it will be as great as you tell me Of course I will try before buy though so I shoudn't yell hi before I cross the river
Quote by xxgenocide98xx
(a) No, I'm saying that it will do Metal, but it just isnt really a METAL amp like others. Even ENGL's website uses 'rock' in the description of the amp.

(b) If you don't play it often there would definitely be no problem. The only gripe I had with it was that if you were using ch 4 for metal you wouldn't have a lead channel ( you could use some kind of booster anyway but yeah) however since you arent a mainly/strictly metal player it seems to be good for you.

(c) Not bashing the amp, because its ENGL and ENGL make great products, but I'm just kinda letting you know something that people often times overlook, thinking ENGL = Most metal amps ever.

(d) The DSL my friend has IS a head, but it sounded -fantastic- The cleans were ****ing AMAZING! Maybe it was the built in reverb I can't believe my powerball doesn't have reverb! GAH.

(a) agreed.

(b) agreed again. If you get the 6-button footswitch, you could switch to the second master volume for a boost, but if you want more gain as well, then yeah, you're not gonna get it. Unless you get a very low gain overdrive pedal or something. But basically, agreed.

(c) agreed again. To be more metal, the screamer could do with a resonance/depth boost knob or something similar, at least. It wouldn't hurt, lol.

(d) yeah, i actually liked the clean on the dsl combo i tried. very nice. Actually, the lack of reverb was one of the things that pushed me away from the powerball...

I suppose they figure you could get a rackmount reverb or something, but still... it's nice to have...

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
isnt there a pedal for reverb to amplify it? Hope so i just noticed today that engls powerball (that i wanted to get) didnt have reverb. Maybe reverb makes up marshalls reputation..... *shoots jim in the head*
[img]http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/9672/stevevaisigver24vf.jpg[/img]
Just an influence.
Quote by sylent
isnt there a pedal for reverb to amplify it? Hope so i just noticed today that engls powerball (that i wanted to get) didnt have reverb. Maybe reverb makes up marshalls reputation..... *shoots jim in the head*

Huh? Reverb to amplify?

The reverb on the DSL is pretty damn good.

For the Powerball you could just get an effects unit with some kind of reverb and you're set.