I recently got a new amp (a Traynor YCV80) and today I recieved my 'Y Insert' cable that lets me use the 'Loop Thru' effects loop. The main reason for this was so that I could use my Line 6 DL4 delay after the preamp.

Problem: When I use the DL4 in the loop (as opposed to no loop) the volume drops and gets really compressed. If I strum hard or palm mute, the pedal/whatever the problem is eats up what I'm playing.

I have it on "alternate bypass" mode now.

What could the problem be?
It's probably the fact it's bypassing the pre-amp, so the sound's gonna' be different to when it's going through it as it's not as coloured.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
I asked Line 6 about it and they said its not designed to be used in an effects loop.

It doesn't work with line level signal, only instrument level.

WTF??? I spent 250 dollars on it! Sons of bitches!
Hmm, line level signal? What do you mean by that?
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Return it and get a Boss DD-20, it works fine in a loop.
Member #1 of the Ibanez RG5xx & up club
PM tombo32 to join < 110% credit to t2russo

Ibanez RG1570
Tone Zone
Paf Pro
Aria STG-003DX
Traynor YCV50 Blue
Dunlop Classic Crybaby
Boss DD-20
MXR ZW-44
Boss TU-2
I have a Boss Super Overdrive, so I guess I'll use that as the pre-delay distortion, and I'll just put the delay in a regular line to the input and not use the effects loop.

It is a piss of though, I spent 10 bucks on that cable for nothing.
Just from my experience with a Boss OD-20 and Line 6 DL-4, just use the DL-4 in front of the amp. It sounds fine. But be sure to put the DL-4 in front of the distortion or you won't be able to hear the delay.
2005 Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Marshall JCM900 MKIII Master Volume head
Carvin G412T cabinet
Line 6 DL-4
Boss BF-3
Boss CS-3
Boss NS-2
Boss OD-20
Boss PH-2
Ibanez TS-7 (being modded soon!)
Quote by Ambulance X
Just from my experience with a Boss OD-20 and Line 6 DL-4, just use the DL-4 in front of the amp. It sounds fine. But be sure to put the DL-4 in front of the distortion or you won't be able to hear the delay.

Yeah, thats how I had it with my old amp (Spider II), but I though since I now have the effects loop, might as well take advantage of it.

I have my Boss Super Overdrive before the DL4