I hav an electric guitar with amp (10W) which i bort for under £120. I've had it for about 3 months. Only noiw im starting to see that i am not goin to progress much (i do not have lessons yet) so was thinking about bass, as it has always kinda appealed to me.

if any1 has any advice that wud be helpful

thx
ROCK ON!
I started with Bass and later picked up the 6 string. As of now, I still hear bass lines over guitar riffs (if there good lines). I think bass is a sweet instrument and I respect a great bassist over a great guitarist cause you just have to have a different feel for it. What kind of music do you want to paly/listen to? That could make a big difference
Archdeacon of the Church of Zeppelinism
PM TheHeartbreaker to join

Highway One Telecaster (Upgrade)
Laney 30 Watt Combo
Boss ME-50 FX

horazonblade, you are one of the reasonable/intelligent people on this forum... - JewMasatFlex
i do like punk but now i am switching more to metal and heaver stuff like Bullet for my valentine, trivium, etc.
ROCK ON!
Quote by horazonblade
I started with Bass and later picked up the 6 string. As of now, I still hear bass lines over guitar riffs (if there good lines). I think bass is a sweet instrument.

Same for me. Don't know which I prefer but you can impress ppl more with bass when you're not that good though, compared to guitar IMO.
A good thing about bass is that you can play stuff as easy or hard as you like. With guitar you're more the centre of attention and you're expected to be the bee's knees.
If you're crap, play root notes with a few fills. Progress if you like or just stick at that, it doesn't really matter for the song.

Well, I mean that in general but there's no way I'd put up with it. I refuse to play more than 4 times the same note in a row. There's nothing I like more in music that a great bass melody.

Sorry that was all probably nonsense.
Good luck mate.
Quote by EirikFtw
You have achieved what I thought impossible, you are my new god

"The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society"
Founder of the "Marmite: We love it!" Union
translator/ radio-operator of the bass militia
Oh man, nothing at all makes a song like a sweet bass line, no doubt, and there is less pressure on you, but you gotta understand how to hold the band together cause if you go all abstract you're gonna screw the song up.

I picked up guitar because its not as fun to sit in your room and play random bass lines with no one else playing with you. Guitar you can play alone, and if there is anyone in DeLand (near Orlando) or Ft. Myers who wants to jam, I'm in lol. I think if I was in a band, I would want to play bass, but I find it harder to write a sweet bass line then a sweet chord progression (I mean with interesting stuff in it too)
Archdeacon of the Church of Zeppelinism
PM TheHeartbreaker to join

Highway One Telecaster (Upgrade)
Laney 30 Watt Combo
Boss ME-50 FX

horazonblade, you are one of the reasonable/intelligent people on this forum... - JewMasatFlex
Last edited by horazonblade at Jun 8, 2006,
yea on my tab maker program i can do some effective chord progressions but i just love making the basslines, i just seem to have a talent for them
ROCK ON!
i suggest taking guitar lessons first because if you can play guitar you can deffinitly play bass
I've been playing bass for two years and I picked up the guitar last year and had such great finger strength i picked i up like a breeze. I can now play guitar better than my friend who has been playing two years. I'm getting into lead guitar now. I totally hear you when you say it's not as fun sitting in your room funking out to a bassline. i mean dont get me wrong, i love it. but sometimes it's nice to play the guitar so you can hear an actual song instead of just the lowend of it.

To the poster, i would suggest picking up bass and seeing how you get on, but keep at the guitar as there is on point in giving it up now.

Why do you think you wont pregress much? Lets talk about it and maybe we can give you some hope. You do realise Joe Satriani was in the same place you are right now bro.
i think i will progress sumwhat , if i hav lessons u reckon i will enjoy it more?
Its just that i see so many ppl so much better at me and talkin bout stuff that i have never heard of maybe itrs a problem being self taught, i mite learn better stuff if i have lessons
ROCK ON!
Keep playing guitar but learn bass too. They both help each other. I started playing acoustic guitar but moved onto bass because I fell in love with low-end. But a few months ago I went back to guitar, bought a gorgeous acoustic and I find it so much easier now. Barre-chords, finally!!!
Quote by Sizzleby
I could watch your avatar for hours.
Quote by thewho65
It's official: apparently, the U.K. is a nation of trolls.

ORANGE AMPLIFIERS Endorser and Proud.