What Is the most commonly used distortion pedal for bands?,
I'm not sure which one that sounds like any bands like MCR, Taking back sunday Green Day e.t.c
well get an 10,000,000 watt SS amp and crank the distortion all the way so theres lots of feedback and play some drop d powerchords and then have teenage girls call you a rock god
My Gear:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Epiphone Sheraton II
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Teese RMC Picture Wah
MXR Carbon Copy
Keeley Modded TS9
Korg Pitchblack
Schecter Omen 6
Dean Performer Acoustic

Well I won't be a smart ass. For one, all of those bands have different guitar sounds. I like TBS' guitar sounds the most. MCR has the worst guitar tone ever, honestly. Especially on that song that starts out with just an octave riff. If you want decent tone similar to these bands get an overdrive pedal. Just go try them out to see which one you like the most.
The taking back sunday dude uses a Line 6 Pod pro, he might have upgraded to the Xt pro though.... That's like $600-$700 if you're willing to cough up that much money, they are amazing!!!
A Boss DS 2 can get you a lot of mainstream rock sounds I belive, it's used by a lot of artists such as John Frusciante (RHCP) and used by Kurt Cobain (Nirvana)
actually most band's dont really tend to use distortion pedals, (apart from RHCP, nirvana etc...) the majority of their distortion comes from their amps, i mean when you have the option for pretty much any amp are you really going to use a distortion pedal
^Exactly.

But the most popular distortion pedal on the market (in general, nut necessarily used by artists) is probably the Boss DS-1.
Quote by atticus_08
The taking back sunday dude uses a Line 6 Pod pro, he might have upgraded to the Xt pro though.... That's like $600-$700 if you're willing to cough up that much money, they are amazing!!!

A POD Xt Live is probably a better choice unless you want to built a full rack setup, actually. It's cheaper and also includes the pedalboard, whereas that's an extra $200+ with the Pro. And the amp models and effects are all the same. The Pro only has more connections and options that make it a better studio tool.

Quote by Danno13
^Exactly.
But the most popular distortion pedal on the market (in general, nut necessarily used by artists) is probably the Boss DS-1.

I'd say the DS-1 is probably the most versatile. It's not the best at any particular tone, IMO, but can be used for anything from a light bluesy purr to full distortion. I used one for years and loved it.

And I agree with hmmm_de_hum. Amp distortion (provided you have a good amo) is where it's at for sound.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
I'll just list what I know about each of the Artists...

MCR
Ray Toro: Epi Les Paul Elitists, Randall module head
Frank Iero: Epi Les Paul Elitists, Some Gibson Les Pauls, Marshall JCM800 half stack

TBS
Fred Mascherino: Gibson SGs, Marshall JCM800
Eddie (I think that's his name?): Epiphone Elistist Hollowbodies, I wanna say I've seen him using a Rivera before

Green Day
Billie Joe: Gibson LP Jr's, Some sort of Marshall

To my knowledge, none of these guitarists use Distortion pedals. No need for it with all-tube distortion.
2005 Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Marshall JCM900 MKIII Master Volume head
Carvin G412T cabinet
Line 6 DL-4
Boss BF-3
Boss CS-3
Boss NS-2
Boss OD-20
Boss PH-2
Ibanez TS-7 (being modded soon!)