anyone know where I can go to learn my fretboard better online or a book? Hardcore/metal style? or to play in a key, CAN ANYONE HELP OR EXPLAIN IT??
I can play by ear but if I could really grasp it and understand the fretboard I think would improve. Is there any excercises anyone can suggest?
theres a place in this site somwhere
i always tyell my students to try scales in there lengt up an down(all strings)
and one string at a time (24th fret to 0) then combine when you can do both
Wise Man Says: The guitar is obviously female, she's got hips, breasts... and a hole.
UG's Flamenco Club
i feel like an idiot asking this but can you explain in more detail?, i really do appreciate your help dude. can you give an example?
say you've got the scale, when running up and down the 6 strings using the scale. like this
------------------------------------------------5--7--8--
-------------------------------------5--6--8-------------
------------------------------5--7-----------------------
-----------------------5--7------------------------------
------------5--7--8--------------------------------------
-5--7--8-------------------------------------------------
do that on all modes
Wise Man Says: The guitar is obviously female, she's got hips, breasts... and a hole.
UG's Flamenco Club
awesome, one question. what is a mode. remember, i have played by ear my whole life so i dont really know the terms.
if you don't know what a mode is, it's the second stage of a scale.
if you look at the layout of the fretboard that's on the site(use Key A and Scale Aeolian)
A is on the 5th fret on the E string, play the scale there. next play on the seventh fret
- being B - and play all the notes you're allowed to play there
UG's Flamenco Club
first like this on the 5th fret
next on the 7th frret
------------------------------------------------------------7--8--10---
---------------------------------------------------8--10---------------
--------------------------------------7--9--10------------------------
-------------------------7--9--10-------------------------------------
-------------7--8--10-------------------------------------------------
-7--8--10-------------------------------------------------------------
UG's Flamenco Club
so for the other exercise

only use one string for this one,
the high E if you're wondering

-12-10\8--10-8\7--8-7\5--7-5\3--5-3\1--3-1-0--------------

try this beginning from the 12th fret and work your way up
UG's Flamenco Club
then try variations on that stuff, using all your fingers and stuff like that.

then when you think you're done with these, combine
for example

-12-10-8--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------12-10-8---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------10-9-7------------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------10-9-7\5-----------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------8-7-5--------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------8-7-5\3-0--------------------------------------
UG's Flamenco Club
Sweet dude, I REALLY appreiate this man. I kinda thought that was how to do it.

so all the notes that are on the fretboard in this A aeolian are related and sound good together?

correct me if I am wrong, but you said to just use 1 string and run the scale with just 1 string up the neck?
and then all kinds of stuff like that, using different scales and different keys.
if you try that you'll also find out that the church scales are bassically folow ups of the former scale, but practice first understand later. if there's anything else just ask, till then
later
UG's Flamenco Club
it's just an exercise within the scale of Aeolian in A( or A Minor if you prefer)
it's used so that you'll learn to run within a mode as well as up and down all frets
UG's Flamenco Club
Disclaimer: Stupidity may be involved with this statement feel free to correct me wrong is wrong no ways about it.

The way I taught myself the fretboard was by intervals. I started with learning the actual distance between notes. I learned in the context of standard tuning.

I first established the interval between every string.

E------------------------|  Between B and E its a fourth
B------------------------|  Between G and B its a major 3rd
G------------------------|  Between D and G its a fourth
D------------------------|  Between A and D its a fourth
A------------------------|  Between E and A it is a fourth
E------------------------|    

Then I taught myself about the chromatic box. On any given string the note right above it follows the same interval. So if your using the low E for a root and you need a major 3rd when forming a chord you just move a fret to the left one string up. Or say you need a b5 you just move a fret to the right on the next string up. When your staying on one string each consecutive fret is a half tone. Say you want to hit a note a minor 3rd away. A minor 3rd is like 3 semi tones thus you count three frets away from the fret you are on. I also view the open string as an invisible fret. Inversions are easy to. A Major interval always shifts to a Minor interval. A perfect interval always inverts to a perfect interval. Also, any interval which is a tritone (3 whole tones or six semi tones) away from the root like a b5 or #4 always stays a tritone anytime they are inverted. Hope this kind of helped.
UG Blues Mafia
Founding Members: Forklifterer, Steve Cropper, Crzyrckgtrst28, and TNfootballfan62

Member of the Anti-Whammy-Bar-Solo Club
Last edited by Steve Cropper at Jun 8, 2006,
Quote by FretboardToAsh
say you've got the scale, when running up and down the 6 strings using the scale. like this
do that on all modes

how come you only play those notes when there are more to choose from?
I never understand why people do that.
Someone please explain...
cause these notes are fitting in a church scale wich is just as many things dicided from a simple rule.

do,re,mi,fa,sol,la,ti,do Eight words, eight notes.

the first and the last word is the same, now look here

---------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------ti--do----------------------
----------------fa--sol--la----------------------------------
-do--re--mi-------------------------------------------------

-----------------------G--A------------------------------
------------D--E--F--------------------------------------
-A--B--C-------------------------------------------------

starting to get the picture?,
ask away
UG's Flamenco Club
To learn the fretboard, set your metronome to 4/4 timing and a fairly low BPM. Then start on the high E, and then on each bar, go to the next E on the B string, then on the G etc.. ending on open E again. Then do F, G etc... Start below the octave, learn that first. As you get better, increase the metronome. WIthin two weeks you will know your fretboard inside out, trust me.. You only need to do this for ten mins a day or so
Quote by Steve Cropper
Disclaimer: Stupidity may be involved with this statement feel free to correct me wrong is wrong no ways about it.

The way I taught myself the fretboard was by intervals. I started with learning the actual distance between notes. I learned in the context of standard tuning.

I first established the interval between every string.

E------------------------| Between B and E its a fourth
B------------------------| Between G and B its a major 3rd
G------------------------| Between D and G its a fourth
D------------------------| Between A and D its a fourth
A------------------------| Between E and A it is a fourth
E------------------------|

Then I taught myself about the chromatic box. On any given string the note right above it follows the same interval. So if your using the low E for a root and you need a major 3rd when forming a chord you just move a fret to the left one string up. Or say you need a b5 you just move a fret to the right on the next string up. When your staying on one string each consecutive fret is a half tone. Say you want to hit a note a minor 3rd away. A minor 3rd is like 3 semi tones thus you count three frets away from the fret you are on. I also view the open string as an invisible fret. Inversions are easy to. A Major interval always shifts to a Minor interval. A perfect interval always inverts to a perfect interval. Also, any interval which is a tritone (3 whole tones or six semi tones) away from the root like a b5 or #4 always stays a tritone anytime they are inverted. Hope this kind of helped.

what do you mean by "fourths" and "major thirds"? sorry, im just getting into theory stuff. and whats b5?
:stickpoke

ITALY-2006 WORLD CUP CHAMPIONS!
A 3rd as in the 3rd note of a scale. Which can be a major or minor 3rd depending on whether it is a major or minor triad. A b5 is when a normal fifth is dropped a semitone.
UG Blues Mafia
Founding Members: Forklifterer, Steve Cropper, Crzyrckgtrst28, and TNfootballfan62

Member of the Anti-Whammy-Bar-Solo Club
^ and to clarify a semitone is half a step (the distance between open and the first fret, a whole step is the distance between open and the 2nd fret, sorry if you already knew this just htought i'd try to answer before the question came)