Wondering which of these series is suited to what? I know heavier gauge gives better sustain but where's the line draw between tone and playability?

Opinions please
its really very much preference, and really what kind of music you play, for example satch would tend to use 9's because he solo's nearly all the time, whereas slipknot would use 12's or so purely because of the string tension need for a low tuning
Don't use EBs, man.

Terrible strings, they don't last but five minutes before they get all rusty.
Hmm i really like EB strings, it may just be a particular gauge that are all crappy, what gauge are you using anyway Danno?
^I use 9-46, been trying different brands, and my GHS and D'addario sets both lasted twice as long as my EB set.
oh right, i did find my EB 10's didnt last as long as some D'addario's i got, but i swear by EB for the heavier gauge, dunno its just they seem to be the best choice for the 10-56 set
^Maybe they just don't do low gauges well, then...

Huh. I may go try another pack now.
oh yea sorry man, i'd probably just say go for a set of 10's, experiment with different brands of strings see which ones you like, if you feel like going for a ehavier gauage try some 11's, but it will hurt at first but in the long run it would be much easier to switch back and forth between gauges
i have the EB hybrid set ( a combo set of 9's and 10's) and there the best for about an hour...then get all stale sounding
Stop Reading My Signature

Gear:
Schecter C-1 Blackjack w/ EMG 81/85 PA2
Schecter C-1 Classic
Carvin V3m
Boss GE-7
Boss DD-3
i play 11's. they work well for me.
Quote by gsr2k6
Ask your mother, She will give you a detailed story about when I lost my virginity.

Quote by Bodom
you had sex with a carrot skinner? WTF?
I use powerslinkies and they do not last very long, but i really like their sound. I use them when performing and then use a longer lasting brand like d'addario for practicing.
Ibanez -> Peavey -> Eardrums

Apparently I'm on some list of people to listen to..?
D'addarios are definatly better than EB's.
I found my EB's would lose that "new string" sound within 2 hours, and after 3 weeks my D'addarios still have it for the most part on my electric (the acoustic ones NEVER lose it)

not to mention the difference in length they last, plus you can get some great gauges for em...
i prefer 10-52 as its good for damn near everything.

definatly grab a pack out of curiosity next time your re-stringing

Sunburst ESP Viper-400 with EMG combo
Ibanez Talman Elec-Acoustic
1973 Denver Acoustic
Traynor Custom Valve 20
Classic Cry-Baby
Its totally preference. I used EB 10's for a while and absoutely loved them. They lasted me 4 months. I switched to D'addarios. the first pack I tried died within 2 weeks. The next pack died in a week. It might have been because it was EXTREMELY hot in my room. Its weird some people say EB's dont last and daddarios last and some people say it vise versa. Just let yourself decide.
Minister of Zeppelinism, PM TheHeartBreaker to join
#6 member of the oasis fan club
Cardinal of The 1st Church of Frusciantism
'89 fender american strat
Vox ad15vt
Peavey raptor plus EXP(bridge: alnico 2 pro)
yamaha f-310p
I hate the elixirs expensive, and I dont' like the way they sound on electrics, period.
The D'addarios I used to use felt weird to me, it wasn't natural.
I use DR strings for light guages like 9-10s, and EBs for heavy guages (11 -)
But I like the EBs they last a decent amount, and they don't rust liek everyoen says, probably just my chemical balance.

But generally the higher guage the more tone, the thinner guage the better playability. So if you dont' do crazy soloing wankage 10s are usually good, or the EB hybrid set.
I have had a set of 9-42 EB's on my Strat for about 7 months and if you clean them right they sound fine. Mine still sound like the day I bought them, only difference is that they are broke in and the dont fall out of tune anymore. I like EB's so its just a prference thing really.
i totally would get some DRs ......there round core instead of hex core (they sound different)

Gear:
Schecter C-1 Classic
Carvin V3m
Boss GE-7
Boss DD-3
It scares me people go more than 2-3 weeks on the same strings. I personally have never had an issue with Eb's
Ibanez SZ 520
Ibanez Rg270 dx
crate Gt200 Tube/Solid Hybrid
Soon to be- Peavey ultra 60 tube head
ClassicAxe-"Jackson doesn't make Soloists so Emo kids can come and sing about slitting their wrists.They make quality guitars."
yeah i dont know how people have the original sets that cam ewith there guitar and they have it for like a year.....i cant last more than like a month....and thats torture

Gear:
Schecter C-1 Classic
Carvin V3m
Boss GE-7
Boss DD-3
Quote by Invictious
Don't get the EBs, especially the slinkies, they are total junk. Get Elixirs instead

True, Elixers are my first choice of string....usually a hybrid gauge, so heavy bottom, skinny top. However, Ernie Balls are good for spares....
i cant stand elxiers on electric

Gear:
Schecter C-1 Classic
Carvin V3m
Boss GE-7
Boss DD-3