can someone tell me what the string gauges can do for a guitar and what heavy/light strings are.

i think mine are heavy because for one theyre kinda thick and two the person i got the guitar from said they where

heres what it says on the package of strings

regular slinky custom gauge nickel wound guitar strings

also is there a thing where you use just one number to determine the gauge of them all?
I AM THE DEMUN OF METAL BWAHAHA
Bwahaha Feel My PoWeRgrrr
Member2BoycottMcdonaldsGroup pm rockergurl09 2join
Verdammt Zuhalter, Abhanden kommen!
demun: D,ee,Muhn-similar to a demi-god only opposite as a half human half demon.
The set of strings you have are called 10s bacause the high e string is 0.010 inches thick. Pretty simple. 10s is not that thick. If you want really thick strings (and thereby a thicker and heavier tone) you should try 11s or 12s. But get used to the 10s first and updrade them when you and your fingers feel ready
nah your's are about standard gauge, like Lp junior said its when you start moving past 12 gauge then they can really be classed as heavy
Basically, what it comes down to is how you want them to sound, and how easy you want it to play. The heavier gauge strings are a bit thicker and muddier (my favorites) and they last alot longer, but theyre also more difficult to play. The lighter strings are easy to play, but alot easier to break, and tend to sound more twangy. Basically, if you're just starting out, I would recommend the lighter gauges, 8s or 9s maybe.
Actually light strings doesn't break as easy as heavy strings. It sounds strange, but it's been proven. Wierd, but true.

I think 8s would be way to thin. Try some Ernie Ball 9's, when they loose sound and get crappy (3-4 weeks) get some Ernie Ball 10's. Play as many sets of strings you want before moving on to 11s.
no ive found that as well, normally a set of 9's would last longer than 11's, but the 9's would lose their tone a hell of a lot quicker
I used these (Ernie Ball Hybrids). I like them a lot, but that's just my preference you may want to try them though.
Hey,

I also have a question about string gauges so I tought I should post it here.

I currently have 12s on my guitar and my fingers hurt pretty bad (im a beginner). I was wondering if I switch to 10s if I would need to have my guitar adjusted because the tension on the neck wouldn't be the same ?

Thx
Quote by LP Junior
Actually light strings doesn't break as easy as heavy strings. It sounds strange, but it's been proven. Wierd, but true.

I think 8s would be way to thin. Try some Ernie Ball 9's, when they loose sound and get crappy (3-4 weeks) get some Ernie Ball 10's. Play as many sets of strings you want before moving on to 11s.

It's not "wierd." Think about it. Heaver gauge strings need to tighter to produce the same pitch as the same string with a smaller gauge. Therefore theres more tension on the strings which makes them more suceptable to breaking. Also bending the strings to pitch will be harder and thus more strain and tension on the strings. I had 14's on my acoustic for a little bit but went back down to 13's because when I'd bend a step up I kept breaking strings.

I prefer the bigger the better because the tone difference is remarkable.

Bry
Quote by Cyberjim
Hey,

I also have a question about string gauges so I tought I should post it here.

I currently have 12s on my guitar and my fingers hurt pretty bad (im a beginner). I was wondering if I switch to 10s if I would need to have my guitar adjusted because the tension on the neck wouldn't be the same ?

Thx

Dude, yes, get lighter gauge strings! 10's or 9's, especially because you are a beginner! I would get your neck checked out if I were you...because if you had 12's on there...hmm
FREE THINKERS ARE DANGEROUS
lol i do have ernie ball strings. theyre slinky style apparently

wait theyre all slinky arent they? anyway i like the thicker strings better, even tho my strings arent the much thicker because i used to play acoustic guitar at school(how i got started) and they use normal strings which cut my fingers cuz of their thin ness.
ive also played my friends guitar whos strings i guess are way thicker than my own (like 13"S or 14's or something i guess) and altho they where hard to pick it just tired my fingers faster instead of hurting them by cutting into em.

no calaces=much pain on light strings
I AM THE DEMUN OF METAL BWAHAHA
Bwahaha Feel My PoWeRgrrr
Member2BoycottMcdonaldsGroup pm rockergurl09 2join
Verdammt Zuhalter, Abhanden kommen!
demun: D,ee,Muhn-similar to a demi-god only opposite as a half human half demon.
Last edited by Demun at Jun 9, 2006,
Thicker strings all the way.

If you start on thicker strings like 12s for around 6 months, its better, because when you change back to 9s or 10s, your fingers feel like magic, with callouses and finger strength, you will be amazed.