Page 1 of 3
im planning on buying a 56 les paul goltop and changing it into the first les paul ever made in 1952. pretty much all im going to use form the 56 is the body, which im going to stip all the paint off, take off the neck and plane the top off and make my own solid top and then rebuild the neck and make the headstock a gibson and then paint it gold and put some seymour duncan p-90s in it
Awesome, good luck man.
My stuff
Fender Telecaster Aerodyne Series
Gibson 1980 Les Paul Standard
Fender Standard Strat
Taylor 414-ce
Takamine Acoustic
1938 Gibson Lap Steel (priceless)
Fender Blues Junior
USA Big Muff Pi
Danelectro Fab Overdrive

My band
Sounds cool. Will you be using the trapiez bridge thing?
"The most important thing is to learn how to play the guitar before you get 50,000 dollars worth of complicated gear" -Slash

Not a member of any clubs. Don't PM me.
Are you sure about that? The bridge was changed for a reason, you know.
That's why I'm asking!
"The most important thing is to learn how to play the guitar before you get 50,000 dollars worth of complicated gear" -Slash

Not a member of any clubs. Don't PM me.
^ I dont know about Customizing and stuff but that makes more sense

Aren't LP Gibsons made in the 50s REALLY REALLY REALLY expensive?

So why would you want to spend that much on a guitar and change it?
Gibson SG Special Faded

Vox Valvetronix AD15VT Amp

Squier Acoustic starter pack
I'd say try and find a beat up old Gibson LP from a pawn shop or something. I mean something realy dinged up. Then restore that.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
Quote by Sundayhawthorne
^ I dont know about Customizing and stuff but that makes more sense

Aren't LP Gibsons made in the 50s REALLY REALLY REALLY expensive?

So why would you want to spend that much on a guitar and change it?

He's not buying a Gibson; which you would have known if you read the thread title properly.
i am not buying a gibson cause they are expensive. i am using the trapeze tailpiece. i know they suck but i am going to have a larger neck angle and make it a wraparound. this guitar isnt so much for my own playing value. i already have an awesome les paul. this one is more for my own leisure. i love customising guitars. im probably just going to sell it and see if i get any money out of it. i checked about the tailpiece and gibson sells them for $275. i probably wont start this guitar till september so i can use the shop at my school cause i dont have any tools.
wow thats actually a big help, i want it to be accurate. the one main think i want to change is the headstock. i want a gibson headstock, i want to fool everyone! and i dont have to worry about making a fake srial number because the 52 where not serialized!
theese are pics of what im going to be working with and then what i want it to look like:

epiphone 56 les paul:

transformation into GIBSON 52:

a guy that i know who also happens to own a guitar shop in town just bought an origional gold top for 60 grand........no shit

and as for what your doing, you're going to have to rip the neck off of your epi and find a suitable gibson neck, then have the gibson neck set into your epi body....

here's my whole thing, if you want an LP with p-90s go for it, and if you cant afford a gibson, get the epi, wont be exactly the same but after you put all this work into it who cares what is sais on the headstock. its the player not the guitar that sounds good

oh, and so i actually contribute to this thread, to get that cracked finish look the process ive heard is to put it in the oven on low heat then into the freezer and so on and so forth. and now here's my disclaimer, i would never do that, not because i dont think it would work, but because i dont like the cracked finish look. . but yeah, thats just me
"insert witty somewhat racial, innapropriate, degrading comment here"
Last edited by Evan50150 at Jun 15, 2006,
^I agree.

Anyway, you won't be able to make the Epi headstock like the Gibson one, because the Epi headstock is similar to the Gibson one, but with the corners cut off, look at them and compare, so you'll have to either leave it or get a new neck if ya' wanna' do that.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Quote by R_H_C_P
^I agree.

Anyway, you won't be able to make the Epi headstock like the Gibson one, because the Epi headstock is similar to the Gibson one, but with the corners cut off, look at them and compare, so you'll have to either leave it or get a new neck if ya' wanna' do that.

You could always add wood to the headstock (I'm not saying you can easily make it look good, though).
It would probably be better to get a new neck anyway. Although it would be pretty fun to add the wood to an epi headstock....
im re building a neck from scratch, the epiphone headstocks are a gibson with the corners cut off but they are slimmer in the middle. they go like this ) ( and gibsons are more straight. the reason for rebulding the neck is because the 52 has a shallower neck angle and im planing the body, and making it a solid top. the cracked finnish strategy only works on nitro laquer finnish. in which im refinnishing the entire guitar. evans response to the guy buying on for 60 grand... thats the exact reason for building this guitar. it is the first les paul ever made. and i dont have 60 grand. and to everyone, i am buying an epiphone 56 not a gibson! im not made of money! and the reason for the headstock is not for playability, it is not for value. i just love the look of them. and im rebulding the neck anyways. and im gonna have an uber fat neck. by fat i mean 50's profile, not phat. all epiphones have the same, slightly in between 50s and 60s, profile.
^Sounds interesting! Good luck with it all.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
i wish you luck my friend
"insert witty somewhat racial, innapropriate, degrading comment here"
im way to exited for this. i love 52s. im thinking about a wraparound to make pms easier. and then using pices of credit card for intonation. like they woulda done in the 50s
Quote by That_Pink_Queen
I'd say try and find a beat up old Gibson LP from a pawn shop or something. I mean something realy dinged up. Then restore that.

I'm with Pink here. I think it would be wicked sweet to have the aged feel, and then make it a goldtop... make it seem older... you dig?
'01 Sunburst Strat>1953 Valco Supro

'06 Jazz bass>'78 Bassman 10

Simple rig fan.
Quote by pacman-man
i dont have the kind of money to buy an old gibson

not neccesarily a Gibby... just an old beat up epi.
'01 Sunburst Strat>1953 Valco Supro

'06 Jazz bass>'78 Bassman 10

Simple rig fan.
To get a cracking in the finish, you may do it the same way people relic guitars, they induce finish cracks using some sort of canned air.... yes i kno canned air...seems illogical...lol

hope this will help.

PS: Go o a local pawn shop and check em out....my friends dad found a '57 Stratocaster actual stamped 1957 neck and bought it for $85$...pawn shops no pretty much nothing about guitars...
i wish that could happen here, at the pawnshop near my house, they have a fat strat with a floyd and curly maple top for $500..... its s SQUIRE! so i dunno. i guess ill keep lookin. and i still havent decided if i want to age it.
What's your budget?
Quote by Schecter-06
To get a cracking in the finish, you may do it the same way people relic guitars, they induce finish cracks using some sort of canned air.... yes i kno canned air...seems illogical...lol

hope this will help.

PS: Go o a local pawn shop and check em out....my friends dad found a '57 Stratocaster actual stamped 1957 neck and bought it for $85$...pawn shops no pretty much nothing about guitars...

No, they put it in a special oven at really low temperatures and that cracks the finish.
there are tons of strategys ive seen. fender used the compressed air, some use an oven. i use a feezer and the back of a car on a sunny day

right now i have a squire strat that has been sittin right in front of the window for about a month trying to age it.
Under a grand? That's a ton!
http://cgi.ebay.com/Gibson-Vintage-headstock-overlay-Les-Paul_W0QQitemZ7421854173QQihZ016QQcategoryZ47072QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
That would work, if you added more wood onto the headstock...

Better idea though:
Buy bashed up Les Paul they go super cheap at pawn shops all the time 700 bucks is common at a pawn shop for a nice shiny one. I wouldn't be suprised to find an old one for 400 to 500.
Then sand off the paint and fill in the pickup holes. I'd try to glue in blocks of wood, and then fill the cracks with whatever that putty stuff is called. Then rerout for p90's. Also fill in any old tailpiece holes, and whatever.
Now, finish it. Easy.

That shouldn't break a grand.
If your going to rebuild to neck and plane of the top, why not make the whole guitar from scratch?

It seems silly too buy a new guitar and only use the mahogany part of the body when it wouldn't cost you much to build it yourself.
Quote by pacman-man
there are tons of strategys ive seen. fender used the compressed air, some use an oven. i use a feezer and the back of a car on a sunny day

right now i have a squire strat that has been sittin right in front of the window for about a month trying to age it.

Fender uses the ovens, they used them on that new gold cracked custom shop in the 2006 catalog
the hardware that comes on a guitar would cost more than bulding it from scratch, even though im not using much hardware. pink queen if you could find a plain les paul overlay that would be awesome. ive actually thought of those too. and my brothers buld has cost him way over a grand. the tailpiece is $275 and the guitar is $500, that leaves me with $150 for pickups and $50 or so for new machine heads. if i build from scratch i have to pay lots for wood, new wires, pots, pickguard that fits p-90s(which i cant seem to find), p-90s, machine heads, strap buttons, knobs, switch, fretboard, fret wire. ill do some homework at get a cost for building from scratch. but now that i think of it. i think i might. im not a great woodworker though. does anyone know where to get the huge old capacators?
If you're willing to pay 275 for a tailpiece you're officially psychotic. Hate to break it to you buddy.

Quote by pacman-man
im way to exited for this. i love 52s. im thinking about a wraparound to make pms easier. and then using pices of credit card for intonation. like they woulda done in the 50s

can u get me a pic of this, i have never heard of it, the whole credit card thing
Member #5 of the UG Luthier's club.
member #3 of the vermont cult
Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join"

Quote by LightningRider
T Heff, No shit I'm a n00b

Quote by Will_Minus

EDIT: t heff wins the for the best response.

Quote by carousel182
i im gonna have to agree with t heff
Page 1 of 3