Is the VOX AD30VT good for progressive rock (Like Jethro Tull, King Crimson, Pink Floyd, Van der Graaf Generator etc.) and does it have that sweet tone? Here's what I'm looking for:

Clean:
A smooth tone. Not hard on your ears.
A lot or variety in tone and such.

Overdrive:
Crunchy tone.
Lot of variety between tones and gain settings etc.

And don't say ''Get Roland Cube!!!'' because, unless you didn't notice it, I clearly said Progressive rock, not Metal!
When I heard smoking would kill me, I bought shares in Dunhill and Marlboro - Thomas Geraghty

If we don't change it, nothing will fucking change.
Yes. It will work quite well for the sound you're aiming for. Those Vox are great little practice amps.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
Oh really? I thought the overdrive sound would be all muffled and whatnot. But thanks!
When I heard smoking would kill me, I bought shares in Dunhill and Marlboro - Thomas Geraghty

If we don't change it, nothing will fucking change.
If you were going for a heavier sound, I owuld have suggested a Cube or a Flextone. But for the sound you're going for, you should easily be able to get a suitable tone from the Vox. It will do anything from country to blues to jazz to hard rock. It's just not that great for metal.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

vox's are great for anything. and if you know what your doing a vox can be good for metal. id get it if i were you. but get the 50 watt. its louder.
1993 Jackson Dinky Professional XL (shred)
Modified Squier Strat (blues and anything)
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Dunlop Original Crybaby GCB-95
You can definately do metal with a Vox. I've jammed metal thru a 100 W Valvetronix (not sure of the exact model though) and I thought it sounded decent. But if metal is your thing, for the same money, you can get amps that will do metal a lot better than the VTs can.

I got that amp and its awsome. I play mainly metal but I screw around in some alternative and Pink Floydish stuff as well as Jazz and it can do it all. I only with I'd gotten the 50 or 100 watt version.
I hate it when people say that vox advt's cant do distortion. It has freaking 6 distortion channels, a volume knob and gain.
Minister of Zeppelinism, PM TheHeartBreaker to join
#6 member of the oasis fan club
Cardinal of The 1st Church of Frusciantism
'89 fender american strat
Vox ad15vt
Peavey raptor plus EXP(bridge: alnico 2 pro)
yamaha f-310p
Quote by The Iron Man
I hate it when people say that vox advt's cant do distortion. It has freaking 6 distortion channels, a volume knob and gain.

i second that.
1993 Jackson Dinky Professional XL (shred)
Modified Squier Strat (blues and anything)
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Dunlop Original Crybaby GCB-95
Plus like 5 of the amp knobs are based on rock/metal amps. I don't understand how it can't be metal, because on these amp moduals there is a thing called a gain knob that you turn up to make tones more distorted/overdriven. I'm not talking about anyone in this thread, just some people in general on the UG forum.
Quote by sethp
listen to RideTheAnger, he is wise beyond his years.

A recent study shows that 92% of all teenagers have moved on to rap music. Put this in your profile if you are one of the 8% who stayed with the real music
i have that amp and it can do anything but the cleans are the best. you can get a wide variety of tones from it. you should get it.
yo
Quote by sr.rockalot
i have that amp and it can do anything but the cleans are the best. you can get a wide variety of tones from it. you should get it.

Yup. My favourite for cleans and blues is tweed with single coil pickups and some reverb.
Vox ad15vt
yamaha f-310p
I am wondering if ill regret this amp down the line (if i get it), since it is my 2nd amp (first being a 10w Kustom). I really want to buy a nice mesa combo (maybe f-30 or a Peavey Valveking 112) but there are 2 problems: a) for the mesa, it'll cost serious mondo, and b) my parents won't let me buy anything that loud/expensive (they think guitar is a stupid hobby, and will barely let me spend $600 on an amp and guitar). Being that I am 16, almost 17, I'll be moving out soon, and I'll buy a nice tube combo.
Quote by sethp

A recent study shows that 92% of all teenagers have moved on to rap music. Put this in your profile if you are one of the 8% who stayed with the real music
Quote by RideTheAnger13
I am wondering if ill regret this amp down the line (if i get it), since it is my 2nd amp (first being a 10w Kustom). I really want to buy a nice mesa combo (maybe f-30 or a Peavey Valveking 112) but there are 2 problems: a) for the mesa, it'll cost serious mondo, and b) my parents won't let me buy anything that loud/expensive (they think guitar is a stupid hobby, and will barely let me spend $600 on an amp and guitar). Being that I am 16, almost 17, I'll be moving out soon, and I'll buy a nice tube combo.

Its funny, I had the exact same amp before I got the vox advt. The vox is 20 times better then it in every aspect. If your going to be gigging and such. I think youll want a tube amp because it will sound better. But If your in your bedroom the vox advt has great sound. You will never hear your mesa's true sound since its too load if your in your bedroom. Get someone who works there to get you a nice tone on it if you dont know how.
Vox ad15vt
yamaha f-310p
That lil Kustom 10w has a kickass blues overdrive/clean tone, but unfortunately I play mostly metal with: 85% Metal, 10% Classic Rock, and 5% Blues (or at least attempting).
Quote by sethp

The speaker in the AD30VT has been really problematic for me. If you have a guitar that's naturally bassy, the speaker will sound really flabby and you won't be able to get good cleans. At least, that's my experience. It especially doesn't like open chord voicings with neck pickups.

And as far as the Mesa thing, I use a Mark IV at bedroom volume all the time. Sounds good to me.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by Dirk Gently
The speaker in the AD30VT has been really problematic for me. If you have a guitar that's naturally bassy, the speaker will sound really flabby and you won't be able to get good cleans. At least, that's my experience. It especially doesn't like open chord voicings with neck pickups.

And as far as the Mesa thing, I use a Mark IV at bedroom volume all the time. Sounds good to me.

It can sound much better

I actually could not get a decent clean sound on the kustom. The only think I could get was classic rock distortion and heavy rock distortion. Are you using pedals?
Vox ad15vt
yamaha f-310p
Of course it could sound better, but I'm not going to get an attenuator. I really don't need "golden awesome tube tone" to practice in my room with. And for cleans I just cheat by cranking up the master to 6 or 7 and use the guitar's volume for volume control
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by The Iron Man
It can sound much better

I actually could not get a decent clean sound on the kustom. The only think I could get was classic rock distortion and heavy rock distortion. Are you using pedals?

we talking about the Kustom KGA 10?

If so, you need, gain anywhere, voice: 3 o clock, and volume, 1 o clock to 3 o clock (anything more and too much bass fir neck pup).

I use a TS-9 or DOD 250 or Pro Co Rat with distortion, or turn gain all the way down and use it to EQ/boost signal.
Quote by sethp

Quote by RideTheAnger13

I use a TS-9 or DOD 250 or Pro Co Rat with distortion, or turn gain all the way down and use it to EQ/boost signal.

There you go thats why.
Vox ad15vt
yamaha f-310p
Quote by alexi_laiho
Are the VOX AD100VT amps any good for metal?

Yes, you can get suitable meta sounds out of it. A lot of people use them for such. But IMO, for the same money, there are other amps out there that will do metal a lot better.