Death Cab for Cutie; can anyone help me with their guitar sound?

I really like their guitar sounds, lead and rhythm. The lead is nice and clean while the rhythm is different. I'm talking mainly about their album "Plans." The ending of Marching Bands Of Manhattan and all of crooked teeth is a good example.

Settings, certain pedals or anything you can think of to help me is great help. I have a epiphone les paul and a peavy 30 watt tube amp w/ boss delay and distortion...they use Fenders so I hope I'm not screwed.

Thanks so much!
no...
Quote by Johnljones7443
Shredding is having control over your instrument and being free of technical obstacles so your music is not limited by your playing ability.

Quote by Aidy Damage
Classical Gas is when you fart and it smells like the inside of a violin. EVERYONE knows that. n00bs...
Quote by Devon8822
no...

I was going to say that, but I didn't want to be too much of an asshole...that often.

^^^you guys are ****ing retarded. seriously. I wouldn't even bother saying "no.." to your stupid-ass cheese rock.

On their website it says what they use.

Try this for crooked teeth;

Use the 'pauls bridge pickup and back the tone off just a smidge. I would say, for now, turn up the peavey until it breaks up to a nice overdrive. Add a little reverb. I would stay away from delay, but if you added a nice little slapback, it'd be sweet...

I reccomend you get an overdrive pedal, though...
Quote by dirtyboots
^^^you guys are ****ing retarded. seriously. I wouldn't even bother saying "no.." to your stupid-ass cheese rock.

Use the 'pauls bridge pickup and back the tone off just a smidge. I would say, for now, turn up the peavey until it breaks up to a nice overdrive. Add a little reverb. I would stay away from delay, but if you added a nice little slapback, it'd be sweet...

heh heh.

::type
Quote by dirtyboots

Thanks. I appreciate the help.

How does a overdrive pedal differ from distortion? Can I use both?
And should I pick my EQ pedal up later or before these?
Overdrive is much lighter than distortion. Sounds natural. I would get the eq later. I would set the EQ on the peavey to like, 777.
Quote by dirtyboots
Overdrive is much lighter than distortion. Sounds natural. I would get the eq later. I would set the EQ on the peavey to like, 777.

Excuse my n00bness, but the EQ on the peavy to 777?

I feel so dumb. Also, any tips on what overdrive pedal to get?
Last edited by haywire robot at Jun 8, 2006,
All I meant, was setting the treble, mid, and bass on 7. No need to feel dumb.

I like my ibanez ts9, but the boss sd1 sounds just as good, and is half the price.
I'll check that out, thanks!

I was thinking of maybe converting and getting a Mexican Strat or a used one or something. All my favorite bands seem to use them..it's really either stick with the Les Paul and get some cool effects and play with my tone, or buy a fender for this sound.
Saw your post on sputnik, I would get a nashville telecaster. That, or a G&L ASAT
I heard something about using a coil tap once for getting that single coil sound I obviously need...can anyone explain this further?
I honestly get the sound of it using a bridge humbucker. Maybe my humbucker is just really bright though.

Well, a coil tap is something you install on a humbucker, that when activated, splits the two coils and only uses one. Making it a single coil. Won't sound like a good single coil, or a strat/tele, but it's still a single coil.