For those of you who like collecting guitars, have any of you ever purchased a 'mini guitar' (An electric guitar with perhaps a neck half the size of an 'average sized' one), you shoudl read this post.

Ok.

I have a mini guitar (see link below, tis that one.)
http://www.tanglewoodguitars.co.uk/products/stockDetails.asp?cID=65&sID=1638

And im pretty anoyed with it, as it comes out of tune every damn second (Currently equiped with 9 Gauge Ernie ball strings), for those of you who own a mini guitar, can you suggest possible reasons why this happenes and perhaps how to fix it? I think this guitar sounds f'in pro, love those pitch hamornics...
Baroque n roll plz.
wait... you bought a mini toy guitar and expect it to stay in tune??? hahaha
Quote by young_is_god
try heavier gauge strings

Yeah, said that to my dad too but he not beleive me? K. That sounds good.
Baroque n roll plz.
Try putting the strings on correctly, i know your putting them on wrong because you think a "mini-guitar" sounds "f'in Pro"
Last edited by Gitter_Wizard at Jun 8, 2006,
Quote by Gitter_Wizard
Try putting the stringfs on correctly, i know your putting them on wrong because you think a "mini-guitar" sounds "f'in Pro"

No, i think the pitch harmonics on it are juicy as hell compared to my other guitar which cost 5 times as much... Que?
Baroque n roll plz.
Did it come with 9s fitted ?
I have a Chiquita which is a 19" scale 23 fret, and the instructions say it must be fitted with 013-056 strings
Actualy, i think they were pretty heavy gauge when i first got it, might of been 11's or 12's ?

and i think it was tuned up to F... ill Try those 13's though if that's what you use
Baroque n roll plz.
For those of you who like collecting guitars, have any of you ever purchased a 'mini guitar' (An electric guitar with perhaps a neck half the size of an 'average sized' one), you shoudl read this post.

Ok, so now I read the post and went to the page to check some of them out but I still dont get it 2-B honest?? So what am I missing, you said "you should" and for just what reason would that be or is this a zen-TM type rhetorical Q that is to B determined by the individual reader or something? : )

I actually once thought about buying a travel guitar but what I do now is use this baby Marshall Amp that throws out 2A and I dont even turn that up on a bus or something like that cuz its too loud, and heres the kicker the little baby even has an OD mode included, now thats fun but I think Im much better of practicing with a full sized guitar anyway but then Im just a novice trying to pick this up after 30 years of not playing.
Ladies and Gentlemen are you ready for the "next time"?
For the greatest rock and roll band in the world!
Ladies and Gentlemen forget the boys from Liverpool and meet the fantastic 5, The Rolling Stones!!!
Get better tuners.... or get ur money back... save a lil more... and buy a REAL guitar
v CLICK v

Quote by musicjunkie207
The time I fell on my face on a trampoline and cracked my neck, then proceded to run around the yard in a blind panic screaming "I hope I'm not paralyzed! OH GOD I THINK I'M PARALYZED!"
Quote by st.jimmy4091680
....I have nuthin to say...except..why in gods name is there mini guitars....

Children, travel, small hands, something to do on a lunch break, etc.
Jackson DKMGT Dinky
Randall RG50TC
Roland Micro-Cube
Boss DS-1
Boss MT-2
I'd rather have a uke or mandolin
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Check out the guitar company called Traveler if you are looking for a small guitar. It is a full scale neck that you tune normally. The tuners are in the body and you put the strings in at the nut. I have fooled around with them at Guitar Center and they are pretty cool. They are a bit expensive though. If you already have a nice guitar then they are good, but I think they are like $350+/-.
Quote by st.jimmy4091680
....I have nuthin to say...except..why in gods name is there mini guitars....

So people with tiny hands like mine can play...
Actually I considered one because I do have really small hands but I ended up with a full sized guitar instead. While it's a pain in the butt sometimes because I don't have the reach to get some chords, I'm probably better off learning on a standard sized instrument.
Mini guitars look awesome. I want one.
Raoul Duke: There's a uh, big machine in the sky, some kind of, I dunno, electric snake, coming straight at us.

Dr. Gonzo: Shoot it.

Raoul Duke: Not yet, I want to study its habits.
my brothers got a washburn rover travel guitar. its pretty sweet stays in tune fun to play etc
iv got a hofner shorty, its awesome. but it has to be fitted with at least gauge 10 - 46 otherise it dont stay in tune
I have a Fender Duosonic...this is what I do, and it works great:

1. Buy heavier gauge strings (the neck creates less tension on the strings so if you use 9's you get the volume/body of nines with the bendability of like 7's). I use Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinky's..which are a 9-46 option. The low end is slightly heavier than the skinny top heavy bottom..or whatever the other option is called. You may need to get even heavier strings...but experiment...have fun.

2. Meanwhile consider new tuners, but more important, I think, is ensure the string doesn't slip. Tie each string before winding it. Check out how here: http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/stringing.htm

3. Make sure that your intonation is right, if it is off even when your guitar is in tune, it will sound out of tune when you play. Tuning problems are different than intonation problems...but practically when it all boils down (to the artist) it's all the same problem (i.e. my guitar sounds like whales humping when I strum it).

Check intonation by playing a harmonic on the 12th fret, followed by fretting the 12 fret note. What the actual fretted note and harmonic measure on your tuner matters not...what does matter is that they are the same note...or incredibly close. So if both are -6 of the actual note on the digital tuner...that's ok with me.

Adjusting this is easy too. If the fretted note is flat, move the saddle toward the neck. If otherwise, move it the other way. Then tune the note to pitch and check it again.
-Epiphone Riviera w/ Bigsby and Gibson 490r/498t combo
-Epiphone Es-333 Delonge Edition
-Fender Twin Reverb '65
Quote by GibsonRocker14
Get better tuners.... or get ur money back... save a lil more... and buy a REAL guitar

It's got nothing to do with the tuners, and the rest of your advice is pretty pointless also.
Don't knock it until you've tried it.
Quote by sashki
Because of the shorter scale length, you need fat strings to exert equal tension. Otherwise they flap around like rubber bands. Go for .012's or .013's if you can find 'em.

This is absolutely true. I'm not sure you need something quite that heavy, but you may. I suggest getting something heavier on the low end...and slightly lighter on the highs. That way you still get the tension, but don't have to play with super heavy strings all the time.
-Fender Twin Reverb '65
I almost bought one but changed my mind at the last minute. I kind of regret it...
What is the scale length of the tanglewood? Looks ultra short!

There has been some question regarding short scale guitars and their purpose/practicality.

The duosonic has a 22.5" length...(I believe most strats are 25.5"?) That's a three inch difference.

Liz Phair uses two exclusively:

And a slightly better guitarist used two prior to his strat years (yes that is Jimi Hendrix):
(Invalid img)

And though I can't seem to find the picture, Kurt Cobain used one right alongside his famous mustang.

The Ric 325 that John Lennon played through most of the Beatle's early years was 21.5".

I've played that ric and I have to admit I am not fond of a scale THAT short. Back in the 60's playing with heavy strings was no big deal, since everyone did it. I'm not sure there was any such thing as a non-wound G-string. Nowadays preferences and styles have changed.

Ultimately, I still say that even with BIG strings on the guitar, the difference in tension will make it substantially easier to bend strings. So you will get the volume of a larger string, but the playability of the smaller.

Enjoy that thing, it looks pretty cool. Put a wicked hot pickup on it.
-Fender Twin Reverb '65
^nice posts.

threadstarter, go heavier on the string gauge like said and,
also make sure ur putting at least three winds around the tuners.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011

Sexy.

Get heavier strings.
Member #5 of Agile LP over Epiphone LP Club.
Contact iamtehwalrus768 to join.
Quote by jmac72187
Check out the guitar company called Traveler if you are looking for a small guitar. It is a full scale neck that you tune normally. The tuners are in the body and you put the strings in at the nut. I have fooled around with them at Guitar Center and they are pretty cool. They are a bit expensive though. If you already have a nice guitar then they are good, but I think they are like $350+/-.

I saw that guitar looked cool, but I don't know how good it is.
Thanks for the advice...
It seems that tuning it up few semitones works.
I have Ernie ball 9s-46s fitted as you said (Some guy in the thread somewhere) and it stays in tune perfectly once tuned from E - F.

Now, another problem, hehe. It seems that the guitar doesn't 'sound' as good anymore, like it used to. No idea why. It sounded superb once i first bought it, took it on a plane with me to spain, played it there still sounded fine... Brought it home and left it in a case for a few months and JUST recently got it out to try it... and it's not sounding too good. EG - if i did a pitch harmonic say 5 months ago the sound would of lasted for maybe 6 seconds before it faded out, now it lasts barely half a second..

any idea why?
Baroque n roll plz.
the guitar might have settled, and ur action might be a little lower now. that can choke a note short.
or the strings may have lost their tone, and need to be changed.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by Bumzor
Thanks for the advice...
It seems that tuning it up few semitones works.
I have Ernie ball 9s-46s fitted as you said (Some guy in the thread somewhere) and it stays in tune perfectly once tuned from E - F.

Now, another problem, hehe. It seems that the guitar doesn't 'sound' as good anymore, like it used to. No idea why. It sounded superb once i first bought it, took it on a plane with me to spain, played it there still sounded fine... Brought it home and left it in a case for a few months and JUST recently got it out to try it... and it's not sounding too good. EG - if i did a pitch harmonic say 5 months ago the sound would of lasted for maybe 6 seconds before it faded out, now it lasts barely half a second..

any idea why?

To be honest I am not sure I understand the problem. But, you can always try humidifying it. I've had guitars "settle" funny and sound just awful...but in actuality they are crazy dry.

Check your relief (put a capo on the first fret and fret a note on the 12th fret...and see how much room there is under that string. Often people talk about "raising" the action in order to remove buzz....but really they just need to adjust the relief. The relief is adjusted with the truss rod. A half turn should help tremendously.
-Fender Twin Reverb '65
Quote by lieutfunaki
To be honest I am not sure I understand the problem. But, you can always try humidifying it. I've had guitars "settle" funny and sound just awful...but in actuality they are crazy dry.

Check your relief (put a capo on the first fret and fret a note on the 12th fret...and see how much room there is under that string. Often people talk about "raising" the action in order to remove buzz....but really they just need to adjust the relief. The relief is adjusted with the truss rod. A half turn should help tremendously.

The truss rod?
Baroque n roll plz.
When I was on work experience at a guitar shop they had three of those. The owner went over and started shredding on one, it looked quite hilarious. He was pulling the guitargasm face too.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Quote by Bumzor
The truss rod?

Dude, are you serious (not putting you down, just excited to introduce the world of trussrods to you)? Here is a good link, you are gonna love this!

http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/trussrods.htm
-Fender Twin Reverb '65