Page 1 of 2
hi guys what are the technical resons metallica use ESP's so much?
MAV!
Mahogany bodies, EMG pickups. Metal bands usually use tons of distortion, so they need high-output pickups in their guitars. That's what the EMG's are for. Mahogany bodied guitars have a deeper, darker sound than most woods, which most metal bands also prefer.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
ESP has one of the best Custom Shops
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
They are endorsed by ESP and all metallica cares about nowadays is money, so there. and xenn's reason, which is prolly the real reason.
ESPs feel nicer, sound better, and look cooler than any damn guitar you could get.

That's why.
haha
Yes, plus they get free gear and lots of money just for using ESP guitars, so that's the main reason. I didn't even think about that.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar

How could you deny that? esp's are awesome all-around hard rock/rock/ metal guitars and they have the sweet custom shop (what mesa said). and what Xenn said.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
so is ther a big difference between the KH 202 and KH 602?
MAV!
the 602 has a thru-body neck too.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Because ESP are great guitars. They always have been. Before ESP took over the metal guitar market as top dog, Kramer used to be the big boys on the block for quality, feel, and badass metal tone (back in the mid-80s). And guess what? Most of the top-end Kramer «USA» models used to have their necks and / or bodies made in Japan - by ESP. They've been making quality guitars from day one, and have one of the best custom shops in the world. That's why they're so popular.

Of course Metallica have an endorsement deal with ESP and make money off each sig guitar sold. And yeah, they have let their desire for money lead them a lot in the past 10 years or so. I guess that's what success does to people.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
esp is awesome the reason y they keep on getting better and better is because more people buy them therfore more money to go in to making and designing and all the other ideas and they just keep making them better either low priced or the high ended and even with ther custom shops esp is a continously evolving all the time. i love my ec-1000 see-thru black cherry with my emg's as u can see in my signature down below esp is one of my personal favorites in my opinion
ESP EC-1000 see-thru Black Cherry w/ Emg's
Dean Markely Sign. strings 10-46
Line 6 Spider II 75watt combo
Damage Control Solid Metal Tubed Preamp Distortion
Dunlop gels x-heavy picks
Im hoping soon to get a Mesa Roadking
Because, man.... ESP LTD's have the EMG's, quality (from what I've SEEN), and a bad ass look to go with the sound. How could you go wrong? I mentioned that I'm in love with the EC-1000 in dark cherry... beautiful and AWESOME sounding guitar.
Mesa Dual Rec/ Mesa 4X12 cab
01 PRS Custom 22
06 PRS Singlecut Ann.
1965 Fender Mustang
Ibanez acoustic
AceFrehley Epiphone LP
Takamine Explorer
tr-2 tu-2 / EHX DMM / MXR Script Phase 90 / SMM w/ HAZR
WH-1 Whammy / 535Q Crybaby
i want the M-1000 thats a killer guitar
Stop Reading My Signature

Gear:
Schecter C-1 Blackjack w/ EMG 81/85 PA2
Schecter C-1 Classic
Carvin V3m
Boss GE-7
Boss DD-3
I've noticed that Hetfield has been using more and more gibby les pauls........
Quote by sethp
listen to RideTheAnger, he is wise beyond his years.

A recent study shows that 92% of all teenagers have moved on to rap music. Put this in your profile if you are one of the 8% who stayed with the real music
Quote by RideTheAnger13

is that bad? he loads them with emgs anyways....
[img]http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/9672/stevevaisigver24vf.jpg[/img]
Just an influence.
Quote by RideTheAnger13

I thought they were ESP? He switches back and forth between gibson and esp, he has a satin black gibson explorer with the custom pickguard he made, I think he played it in the madly in anger tour
Guitar:
ESP LTD EC-1000 STBC

Bass:
Fender MIA Black/Maple Jazz 4 String
Ampeg B-40 4x10 Cab
Ampeg SVT3 Pro
When a company with guitars as great as ESPs offer them to you for free, you don't turn them down...
Quote by Bad Seed
I thought they were ESP? He switches back and forth between gibson and esp, he has a satin black gibson explorer with the custom pickguard he made, I think he played it in the madly in anger tour

isn't a black diamond plate pickguard? and now he has his new signature model with ESP, the "truckster". its grey and looks sorta like the EC models. i've never seen him play a gibson though.

in the video at youtube.com at the berlin show (where they played the new song) it showed kirk playing a gibson.

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Quote by metal4all
isn't a black diamond plate pickguard? and now he has his new signature model with ESP, the "truckster". its grey and looks sorta like the EC models. i've never seen him play a gibson though.

in the video at youtube.com at the berlin show (where they played the new song) it showed kirk playing a gibson.

James played a gibson too.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by Tim69
hi guys what are the technical resons metallica use ESP's so much?

ESP pay them a shitload of cash as an endorsement deal. Maybe they like them too. But mainly the cash.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by metal4all

Yah old metallica uses esps light-bodied guitars, where new metallica uses gibsons/esp lespauls. Old metallica is better. And Kirk never had a lespaul standard (he still has his lespaul custom with emgs loaded which looks pretty cool cuz emgs look simple without those stupid magnet that u can see) until they made st. anger album. Guess new sound and a chance of doing a new album needs new gear in the flow too to make the album...
[img]http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/9672/stevevaisigver24vf.jpg[/img]
Just an influence.
Last edited by sylent at Jun 9, 2006,
Kuz ESP's are awesome. End of story
Proud owner of a Gibby LP Custom and an all-original Vintage '62 Fender Jag

Quote by richwatkinson
Give 10 UGers a rope and ask them to pull. 4 will push, 1 will ask for buttsecks, 2 will tell you get an Ibanez and the last 3 will start complaining about Line6 Spiders.
Quote by metal4all

the custom pickguard on the gibson was made from brass I believe that he made it look like it had a rusty finish on it. From what I hear, the truckster is based off the EC-400. James had a signature ESP black diamond plated guitar back during the load era, the front was fully diamond plated.
Guitar:
ESP LTD EC-1000 STBC

Bass:
Ampeg B-40 4x10 Cab
Ampeg SVT3 Pro
Quote by Bad Seed
the custom pickguard on the gibson was made from brass I believe that he made it look like it had a rusty finish on it. From what I hear, the truckster is based off the EC-400. James had a signature ESP black diamond plated guitar back during the load era, the front was fully diamond plated.

cool i was right. i'll have to take a second look at the gibson of his. and yeah the truckster has to be based off of the EC's, look here: at www.espguitars.com.

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
yep and dont forget james had some hell cool signatures back in the old days especially the grynch man that guitar was off the hook!
Quote by metal4all
cool i was right. i'll have to take a second look at the gibson of his. and yeah the truckster has to be based off of the EC's, look here: at www.espguitars.com.

if you look in the archives of threads there's a celebrity rig of hetfield, there's a picture in there of the "rusty" gibson explorer. Yea het had some bad ass guitars back in the day, the elk esp, black diamond plated esp, polished diamond plated esp, his signature flying V's, I'd love to get my hands on any of them.
Guitar:
ESP LTD EC-1000 STBC

Bass:
Ampeg B-40 4x10 Cab
Ampeg SVT3 Pro
cheers for the help, im still having confusion with this 81/81 or 60/81 stuff?

why have two 81's in neck and bridge?
MAV!
Quote by metal4all

Bad Seed is actually talking about Rusty. Its actually a Gibson 76' Natural Explorer that got refinished in satin black.
Quote by sethp
listen to RideTheAnger, he is wise beyond his years.

A recent study shows that 92% of all teenagers have moved on to rap music. Put this in your profile if you are one of the 8% who stayed with the real music
i played my friend's esp....it had a nice neck and fretboard good feel.
Quote by seanbaby
i played my friend's esp....it had a nice neck and fretboard good feel.

thats what you get when you buy an esp
I have an EX-400 with the olympic white finish, and it's the most fantastic thing I've ever played. I've managed to get my hands on a truckster, as well as a EC-400 and a DV-8. Absolutely fantastic.
I know for a fact Het's been playing the black gibby with the gold stripe and gold cross on it a hell of a lot on their euro tour this summer, he pretty much switches between it, a white ESP EX, that natural finish explorer he played all the time on the S&M show, and a black ESP EX. He uses the Truckser here and there, too. I know at Download, thats all he played. Whatever.
Yes, I have said several times that I own a ec-1000 and love it.

Like everyone said here, the body is awesome, the neck's feel is fantastic and it's light weight. Don't forget the emg's.

the 1000's STBC is amazing, i could stare at it for hours. XD
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
Cuz they're fags.

jk

But seriously though, I've never seen or played an ESP but from what I can tell, ESP is to Gibson as Ibanez is to Fender. Basically instead of a super strat it's a super paul?
i play esp cause they built damn fine guitars.....metallica uses them cause there trying to stay relevant.......i hope they fail......miserably
Were they trying to stay relevant when they started using them in 1988? Before you were probably born? They use them because ESP gives them what they want. You don't stay in an almost 20 year relationship with a company because of money, you stay because you like them.
haha
^Or because you get gigantic checks for doing absolutely nothing except let them stamp your "signature" on the back of a headstock of some guitar you've never played, don't care about, and don't even want to play.

Relationship? Sure. ESP has a great relationship with them.

And, by "them" I mean "their bank accounts."
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
i own a ESP Eclipse II FM and I can truly say that this guitar pwns. anyway check out one of my thread and there are some included pics and i must say every single part of the guitar is top notch and if you have the chance to buy one you must buy it
Page 1 of 2