Page 1 of 3
Forgive me for not putting this in the religion forum, but it would never get discussed enough and i think it is a worthy topic of discussion.

One question I have had is that the Catholic Church thinks that Mary was a virgin till her death, but did Jesus have siblings?

Another is why does the Catholic Church worship Mary anyway? The bible says that she is merely a women....a great women....but not to be worshipped.

Discuss
Catholics don't really worship her. She is not even in the sign of the cross, which is the Holy Trinity (Son, Father, Holy Spirit). They respect her, a lot, though. She is more like a saint, really.
my music myspace!

Quote by cefasnacht
Quote by Dobzilla
I've never had peanutbutter...
wtf!?!?!?!
Quote by somethingcool76
Jesus didnt have any siblings

I'm fairly certian he did, anyone else know
They've taken the Christian faith and added a ton of stuff to it. The core principle of Christianity is that faith in Christ's death, burial, and resurrection is the only way to Heaven. Catholics (Or at least the ones I have talked to) believe that you can get to Heaven by confessing your sins right before you die and to be given the last rights. They (Again, the ones I have talked to-I'm not speaking about all Catholics) believe that you can be "Prayed" to Heaven after you die. They also believe there are dozens of saints and whatnot that you're supposed to pray to (In addition to Mary) and that Priests can grant forgiveness from sins(Which, according to Christianity, can only be done by God). They've taken Christiantiy, which is monotheistic, and made many "Demi-gods", for lack of a better phrase. With all the item worship that they practice, it's almost become idolatrous. Just my two cents.
ive heard he did and i believe, and im not sure why catholics focus on mary so much, i guess just revered a lot. and nayt, Jesus loves you
Another is why does the Catholic Church worship Mary anyway? The bible says that she is merely a women....a great women....but not to be worshipped.

Because Catholicism/Xianity is merely a perversion of paganism.
Quote by Redeemed_Rocker
They've taken the Christian faith and added a ton of stuff to it. The core principle of Christianity is that faith in Christ's death, burial, and resurrection is the only way to Heaven. Catholics (Or at least the ones I have talked to) believe that you can get to Heaven by confessing your sins right before you die and to be given the last rights. They (Again, the ones I have talked to-I'm not speaking about all Catholics) believe that you can be "Prayed" to Heaven after you die. They also believe there are dozens of saints and whatnot that you're supposed to pray to (In addition to Mary) and that Priests can grant forgiveness from sins(Which, according to Christianity, can only be done by God). They've taken Christiantiy, which is monotheistic, and made many "Demi-gods", for lack of a better phrase. With all the item worship that they practice, it's almost become idolatrous. Just my two cents.

Actually... sorry to break your bubble, but...

the Catholic Church was the first to exist with St. Peter as the first pope. All the other forms of Christianity branched off of it during the reformation act around the 1500s in Europe. Catholics do not discriminate praying to certain saints either. And forgiveness of sins is done thru God by a preist asking God to forgive the sins.

Check this out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catholic_church

It will explain better that the Catholic Church is the one that formed from Jesus' Apostles.
ok the catholic church prays to Mary
and when you pray you are worshipping
so yea to those that said you do not worship her, you have just been proven wrong (not to sound arrogant)

and Jesus did have siblings
James was Jesus' brother
Quote by The Pickle Man
If that's the best Chicago has to offer then... well... too bad for Chicago, I guess.
you asked why they worshipped mary, the answer is in the davinci code.

the book is fiction but the religious and historical side of it is all true, christianty was decided upon by a council and original christianity did involve worshipping women. mary was obviously an important part of the bible so they worship her just as was originally thought to be right.

or that's what i would say if the bible and christianity wasn't a load of shit.
Quote by yawn
^ Yup, James was Jesus' older brother.

Not according to Catholic teachings, we believe Mary was a virgin. Plus who would want to be the brother of Jesus. /me breaks into Robin Williams: Live On Broadway skit.

But seriously, to whoever said its a sect of peganism, you are wrong. It's a sect of Judaism, but we have some pegan traditions (the christmas tree, the time of Christmas, the vestments, etc).
Quote by ckellingc
But seriously, to whoever said its a sect of peganism, you are wrong. It's a sect of Judaism, but we have some pegan traditions (the christmas tree, the time of Christmas, the vestments, etc).

Though there is strong evidence supporting that Jesus was at one time a disciple of John the Baptist, and then later on John became a follower of Jesus. John's practice of baptism was later adopted into the religion, as were certain religious festivals to make Christianity into a more popular religion.

So while its not a sect of paganism it definately has alot of pagan influences.
mary is not worshipped. otherwise we would get on our knees and ask her for forgiveness from sins.

as for the last minute repentance thing, Redeemed_Rocker, the last rights thing is just like baptism, whereas baptism prepares one for life, while the last rights prepares one for death. and reconciliation (forgiveness of sins) will only truly absolve one of their sins if they are sorry and are willing to repent.

i checked wikipedia (not a reliable source, i know) and it said that james the less had a mother named mary, but was not the same mary that gave birth to jesus.

PXi, you're going to hell for reading that book.

(i'm kidding )
official member of the Alice's Restaurant Anti-Massacre Movement.
Quote by bajeda
You ever been to Latin America?!?

They take it too far in Latin America. They really and truly worship her there. Most Catholics, however, don't worship Mary.

Catholicism caught on in Latin America because the Church made pretty much any god in that region a saint. In Catholicism, you pray to saints. Therefore, the people of Latin America were allowed to continue their primitive polytheistic practices, under the guise of Christianity.

In most of the world, however, it is, as I describe it, Christianity that has sold out by taking bits and pieces of religions to make an appealing religion for the superstitious masses.

Basically, I hate Catholicism, but I don't hate Catholics. They're either brainwashed or retarded.
Hail Mary
Full of Grace
the lord is with thy
blessed art thou amongst women
and blessed be the fruit of thy womb, Jesus
Holy Mary
Mother of God
Pray for us
sinners now
and at the hour of our death
Amen

We dont exzactly worship her it is more of a massive respect for the mother of our saviour as ye can see from our lady's Prayer
I see Catholicism as having in practice, if not officially, largely broken from it's monotheistic background. With that said though, I suggest taking this to the Religion Thread.
I will show you something different from either
Your shadow in the morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you
I will show you fear in a handful of dust
I heard somewhere that Joseph already had kids when he married Mary. That would give Jesus step-siblings.
Listen to mah discs.

And coming soon, THE CLEVER DEVILS VS. THE BLONDES.

Vote for me in the
Quote by dazzler16
Hail Mary
Full of Grace
the lord is with thy
blessed art thou amongst women
and blessed be the fruit of thy womb, Jesus
Holy Mary
Mother of God
Pray for us
sinners now
and at the hour of our death
Amen

We dont exzactly worship her it is more of a massive respect for the mother of our saviour as ye can see from our lady's Prayer

Yeah, but try to tell that to parts of the lower classes of Latin America. And Mary's dead. She can't pray for you.
Quote by ckellingc

I can see where you're coming from but..........

I don't think you're up to my level regarding this issue. And I don't have time/or feel like debating you about it.
Last edited by totenkopf at Jun 8, 2006,
Quote by invisible_man
I see Catholicism as having in practice, if not officially, largely broken from it's monotheistic background. With that said though, I suggest taking this to the Religion Thread.

Those are my views as well.
Quote by genresrforposer
For the last time, WE DO NOT WORSHIP MARY!

She is regarded as a very important part of Catholicism because she is Our Lord's mother and yes she is very much considered a Saint.

She is especially important in Mexican culture due to her appearance to Juan Diego, a poor Indian, because it showed that God loved the poor just as much or more than the rich.

And no, Jesus did not have siblings.

And just for the record less than 2% of Catholic priests are rapists of any kind, just in case that generalization gets made there's plenty of good ones(the ones that ARE rapists still need jail time yes, but not EVERY catholic priest is corrupt)

Wow, 1 in 50. I'm pretty sure that's a disproportionate number compared to the general populace.

And I don't think Jesus had siblings, although supposedly Mary stayed a virgin for entire life. Feel kinda sorry for Joseph. First god fucks his wife AND gets her pregnant then stops him ever having a go. Piss take.
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
Quote by Meths
Wow, 1 in 50. I'm pretty sure that's a disproportionate number compared to the general populace.

And I don't think Jesus had siblings, although supposedly Mary stayed a virgin for entire life. Feel kinda sorry for Joseph. First god fucks his wife AND gets her pregnant then stops him ever having a go. Piss take.

Nope. Contrary to what the Catholics claim, Jesus had a little brother named James. That would have sucked. "James, why can't you be healing the sick and raising the dead like your big brother?"
Quote by genresrforposer
For the last time, WE DO NOT WORSHIP MARY!

Ever heard of the prayer "the Hail Mary" or the Rosary?
Quote by bajeda
Though there is strong evidence supporting that Jesus was at one time a disciple of John the Baptist, and then later on John became a follower of Jesus. John's practice of baptism was later adopted into the religion, as were certain religious festivals to make Christianity into a more popular religion.

So while its not a sect of paganism it definately has alot of pagan influences.

Not to mention that christianity bashes paganism in it's description of the devil. The devil is basicly a combination of a bunch of Greek/Roman gods. Poseidon's trident, Pan & Puck's goat half and horns, etc. 666 was the code for a Roman emporer that believed in Paganism too, i think. Christianity tried to wipe Paganism out by condoning it as evil. If they are a sect of Paganism, they sure as hell don't (or didn't) want to be.
Quote by AzureNight
Ever heard of the prayer "the Hail Mary" or the Rosary?

He claims it's a sign of great respect. Last time I checked, praying to someone constitutes worshipping them.

He probably also says that they don't worship saints, either. Or their dead ancestors in "Purgatory."
Quote by PXi
you asked why they worshipped mary, the answer is in the davinci code.

the book is fiction but the religious and historical side of it is all true, christianty was decided upon by a council and original christianity did involve worshipping women. mary was obviously an important part of the bible so they worship her just as was originally thought to be right.

No... just... no.
Quote by Resiliance
I ain't dissin' ya bro.

I be doin' some 'o dat sarcasm **** right thurr.
Quote by Holy Katana
He claims it's a sign of great respect. Last time I checked, praying to someone constitutes worshipping them.

He probably also says that they don't worship saints, either. Or their dead ancestors in "Purgatory."

Hi moron, you can pray to anyone without worshipping them. I pray to my nephew that passed away for help and strength, but I don't worship him, we go to church to worship the Holy Trinity. We pray to tons of saints, and Mary is indeed a Saint. St. Mary is prayed to all the time.

And thanks to the Divinci Code, everyone now knows everthing there is know about the Church because Tom Hanks read a holly**** script about it...
Quote by JDawg
Hi moron, you can pray to anyone without worshipping them. I pray to my nephew that passed away for help and strength, but I don't worship him, we go to church to worship the Holy Trinity. We pray to tons of saints, and Mary is indeed a Saint. St. Mary is prayed to all the time.

And thanks to the Divinci Code, everyone now knows everthing there is know about the Church because Tom Hanks read a holly**** script about it...

Your nephew, in my opinion, can't hear your prayers. It's useless. He's dead and rotting. If Christianity is correct, he's in Heaven. But you can't pray to a dead person! Who says you can?

And why do you not allow women in the clergy, yet allow them to be saints? Are women inferior? Should they be at home cooking dinner for their husbands and having like 15 kids, because of your Church's ban on all birth control except the rhythm method?
Quote by Holy Katana
Your nephew, in my opinion, can't hear your prayers. It's useless. He's dead and rotting. If Christianity is correct, he's in Heaven. But you can't pray to a dead person! Who says you can?

And why do you not allow women in the clergy, yet allow them to be saints? Are women inferior? Should they be at home cooking dinner for their husbands and having like 15 kids, because of your Church's ban on all birth control except the rhythm method?

Well, the Catholic curch wouldnt be called a "faith" if we needed EVERYTHING to ****in proven to us. Do you love your girlfriend? Prove it to me.

And Women are far from inferior and its ****ing shame you would even come to that conclusion.

And anyone that is in Heaven can hear your prayers. But seeing as you are completly ignorant to anything the Church teaches you wouldn't understand that so I will let that slide.
Quote by somethingcool76
Jesus didnt have any siblings

Yeah he did. He was the oldest.

The Gear I Use Most:
Gibson guitars, Les Paul, ES-335, SG and more.
Dunlop Crybaby | Dunlop Volume | Boss TU-2 | Ibanez TS-9 | Maxon AD-999
Planet Waves Custom Leads
Marshall JCM900 (model: 4100 + 4101)

TooJoo The Band
Jesus had no siblings related by blood, he may have had cousins and close family but no blood siblings. Catholics praise Mary because she accepted the role as the Mother Of God or "Theotokos". For us Catholics, we believe we are all born with original sin going back to Adam and Eve. But, we believed Mary was conceived and born without original sin and lived her whole life as a virgin. Mary, being human, had a choice, she could have simply rejected the role as the Mother of God.

Mary is praised so much because she makes herself known to us, especially to the youth. For example, Mary appears in Guadalupe to Juan Diego or when she appears in Fatima, Portugal. Apparitions appear all the time and many people are there to witness it.
Quote by JDawg
And Women are far from inferior and its ****ing shame you would even come to that conclusion.

Yeah!

Only ministers of the church are supposed to think that.

Jesus had no siblings related by blood, he may have had cousins and close family but no blood siblings. Catholics praise Mary because she accepted the role as the Mother Of God or "Theotokos". For us Catholics, we believe we are all born with original sin going back to Adam and Eve. But, we believed Mary was conceived and born without original sin and lived her whole life as a virgin. Mary, being human, had a choice, she could have simply rejected the role as the Mother of God.

Mary is praised so much because she makes herself known to us, especially to the youth. For example, Mary appears in Guadalupe to Juan Diego or when she appears in Fatima, Portugal. Apparitions appear all the time and many people are there to witness it.

Why didn't she ever have sex with Jospeh? The bible probably says somewhere that wives are supposed to submit to their husbands and shit.

And Mary doesn't appear to anyone. Hate to break it to you buy those people are either A)lying, B)crazy, C)going along with the crowd D)on crack. Mary's loooooooong dead and dead people don't appear to people.
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
Page 1 of 3