They have a special on this amp at my local store for 700$ canadian. I didn't get a chance to try it out because my dad dragged me out . Anyway, the reviews on Harmony Central seem good and I started considering it. I currently have a Cube 60, so my question is:

If I bought an OD pedal with it, would it do metal/metalcore/whatever along the lines of Megadeth, Metallica, Pantera, Children of Bodom, Norther, Arch Enemy, As I Lay Dying, Trivium, Killswitch Engage...ect.?
Maybe a tube change would do it?
And if yes, by how much would it be better than my Cube?

A description of the tone it gives and reliabilaty(sp?) issues you might have heard of would be helpful.

Thanks in advance
Quote by madpickin03
"I'd like a Big Mac and a Coke plz"
"Do you want fries with that sir?"
"No i want an RG7620 to go with it, no ketchup, Vampire Kiss finish"

Quote by chevellerox2005
who is ozzy? must not have made that much of an impact ya douche

^
Well, any amp can do metal, with the right distortion pedal, but I don't like the idea of using a pedal for distortion, amp distortion (9/10 times) > pedal distortion.
Quote by sethp
listen to RideTheAnger, he is wise beyond his years.

A recent study shows that 92% of all teenagers have moved on to rap music. Put this in your profile if you are one of the 8% who stayed with the real music
I have one of the big brothers to the amp you're looking at (the VFX5212) and have played the 3112 a few times at a store. I'm fairly sure they're based around the same circuitry and should sound fairly similar. I haven't tried to get a metal tone out of mine because I'm not so much into playing metal music. That said, you can get a lot of gain from the drive channel. I've used it primarily for enough gain to cross over from an overdrive to distorted sound. I don't know if you can quite produce a vintage metal tone without an OD pedal, but an OD set up properly should definitely get you enough crunch to get there. It's pretty similar to a Marshall in tone, and it sounds like that's what you're aiming for. I don't know if a tube change would help out because it comes with 12AX7's in the preamp and EL84's in the power amp. Are there higher gain tubes than those available?

I haven't had any problems reliability-wise with my amp, and I picked it up used over a year ago. I wouldn't expect it to crap out unless you treated it like trash and literally smashed it up with a blunt instrument.

I'm happy with my purchase, and I think you would be as well. Hope it works out for you!
^XXX's are too bright for me. Would proper EQ'ing do it though?

So anyway, got any reccomendations on an OD pedal? Nothing too expensive, max would be around 100$.
Thanks for the input, I just might get me one once I get the chance to try it out.
Quote by madpickin03

Quote by chevellerox2005

^
Look into 5150's if you can afford them. You should be able find the combo on eBay for like $500-$600. That is darker sounding than then XXX and is great for metal. If you are going to be playing mostly metal, buy an amp that can handle it normally. If you are going to just be playing metal sometimes and a smorgasboard of other stuff, pick up something else and an OD pedal such as a Tubescreamer by Maxon or Ibanez. The TS9 or the OD808.
^Was my first plan, but I'm very skeptical about buying second-hand.

Just did some thinking at school today (we don't do anything in classes anymore) and decided it would be simpler and better for me to just get a 6505 combo new. Unless the Crate really impresses me when I try it. And there is only one 5150 right now on Ebay, lets just hope they keep coming until summer.
Quote by madpickin03

Quote by chevellerox2005

^
You can usually find them on eBay. Check your local craigslist.org too. Go for the 5150 or the 6505 but not the 5150 II or the 6505+. They don't sound as good.

The Crate is more meant to be a competitor with the Fender combos which aren't meant for metal either.