Page 1 of 2
What kind of gigs will you be playing?
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
First off when choosing to buy an amp theres a number of factors that need to be taken into consideration:

1)What style do you play and what kind of sound are you looking to achieve?
2) What is your budget?
3) Will this be for playing gigs or mainly bedroom practice?
Well chances are you wont be playing anything thatll warrent using the Dual Recto's 100W. So, that said, I dont think you should get one. That said, if youre still looking for more of the Recto flavor, maybe look into the Single Recto/Rectoverb.
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
100 Watts of all tube is ridiculously loud. I have 100 watts on my head and it is ****ing loud. I can play with channel volume at 6 and master at 6 and easily blow my friends SS away while he is at full. If I put my channel volume to 10 and left my master at 6, he wouldn't be able to hear him self playing and neither of us would be able to hear after anyway.
Most people who buy Rectos do so for the image, IMO. They know the Boogie name (most guitarists do) and they've seen their favorite metal/noisecore/whatever band with a Dual or Triple Recto (even worse for the hobbyist to own) on stage or in a video. If you don't even know if you're going to playing gigs, look at a combo. The Rectoverb and the Tremoverb have the same amp structuring as the Single Recto head. But there are also other amps in the Boogie line that may be what you're looking for, including the F series, the Mark series, and the Roadking series.
Hi, I'm Peter
you dont deserve a mesa boogie if you cant spell it.
Last edited by jnl at Jun 9, 2006,
Quote by jnl
you dont deserve a mesa boogie if cant spell it.

Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.

I, am an idiot, I could only spell B-52 because it wasn't a word so the store limited me to buying that amp.

Work on your spelling a bit and you won't be limited as much.
Quote by jmac72187
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.

I, am an idiot, I could only spell B-52 because it wasn't a word so the store limited me to buying that amp.

That goes in the sig.
Quote by jmac72187

im sorry that you have to play on a b-52. your life must really suck.
I'm sorry you play on Peavey. Your tone must be able to suck up water it's so dry.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by jnl
im sorry that you have to play on a b-52. your life must really suck.

No, they are pretty nice amps. I love mine. It is obviously no recto or anything but for the money you are paying you are getting a lot. I hear if you retube it they are even better. I will see sometime later.
Last edited by jmac72187 at Jun 8, 2006,
Quote by Dirk Gently
I'm sorry you play on Peavey. Your tone must be able to suck up water it's so dry.

i dished it out, so i can take it to....that was funny.
I tell you what.... tonight was my first full practice with the band, and with a show coming up on Saturday, IT KICKS AZZ! The sound is so deep and piercing... I LOVE IT! We play stuff, once again, like Audioslave/Godsmack/TheoryOfADeadman. SO it's going to depend on your style too I'd think. I play a lot of Mark Tremonti type riffs as far as style and sound. He has the Triple which to me is overkill. Still good, but oh so loud! My singer and I put ours head to head tonight, and man, my 3 channel is walkin' all over him. Anything else?
Mesa Dual Rec/ Mesa 4X12 cab
01 PRS Custom 22
06 PRS Singlecut Ann.
1965 Fender Mustang
Ibanez acoustic
AceFrehley Epiphone LP
Takamine Explorer
tr-2 tu-2 / EHX DMM / MXR Script Phase 90 / SMM w/ HAZR
WH-1 Whammy / 535Q Crybaby
Quote by jnl
you dont deserve a mesa boogie if cant spell it.

You don't deserve to be in this forum if you can't form a proper sentence. Somewhere in that "sentence" there should be a "you".
Quote by Kensai
Racism... against the human race? Sure, go ahead
Quote by Generalpwnt
You don't deserve to be in this forum if you can't form a proper sentence. Somewhere in that "sentence" there should be a "you".

Owned.
But I do agree with jnl.
Quote by El Codyo
Owned.
But I do agree with jnl.

I don't get why the ability to correctly spell a companies name warrants your ownership of one of their products. Makes no sense.
he's not litteraly saying if you can't spell it you shouldn't be able to buy it you dumb ****s. he means that the kid is an idiot and knows nothing about amps and just wants a recto because it's so uber kvlt and gr1m and he'd be so nekkro if he had one. he means that, obviously, the thread starter doesn't even know enough to spell the company right, so what does he know about amps?

seriously.

ok, thread starter, can you give us a few examples of bands whose tone you want, for clean, crunch, and high-gain. maybe lead even. do have a preference light to dark tone? how much can you spend? what other amps have you tried? what did you like? what didn't you like?

don't just make half assed threads like these asking if something is good.
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
hm, i thought it was more than just you.

and his amp walks all over yours.

5150/6505 walks all over rectos even, imo.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

Quote by gpderek09
hm, i thought it was more than just you.

and his amp walks all over yours.

5150/6505 walks all over rectos even, imo.

I never put his amp down. I like 5150's but they tend to be more of a metal amp than I need.
i know, just messing with you.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

I put his amp down, but I was just busting his balls.

No, I really meant it.
Hi, I'm Peter
Here's a question that's somewhat relevant, what's the difference between the Single And Dual rectos soundwise?
Member #10 Of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Club. PM Narmi To Join
not much, imo the single was a little brighter, more cutt and punch to it. more agressive sounding.

the dual sounded more refined, a little less grit, more low wnd.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

Doesn't the Dual have some sort of switchable rectofier or diode or something, whereas the Single only has that one type of rectofier or diode? I've never played one, so I don't know, but I've heard it discussed.
Hi, I'm Peter
^ yeah.

single is ss rectification
dual is ss and tube a i think
tripple is ss, tube a, and tube ab.

at least i think that's how it works...
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

Yeah... you should see all the pretty knobs and buttons on the back of my Dual! It's CrAzY!
Mesa Dual Rec/ Mesa 4X12 cab
01 PRS Custom 22
06 PRS Singlecut Ann.
1965 Fender Mustang
Ibanez acoustic
AceFrehley Epiphone LP
Takamine Explorer
tr-2 tu-2 / EHX DMM / MXR Script Phase 90 / SMM w/ HAZR
WH-1 Whammy / 535Q Crybaby
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

Quote by Generalpwnt

LMAO , its a recto get it there very good, unly if u can aford it though , other wise get mesa combo and a laptop or something
Quote by gpderek09
^ yeah.

single is ss rectification
dual is ss and tube a i think
tripple is ss, tube a, and tube ab.

at least i think that's how it works...

very close, the dual has 2 vacuum tube rectifiers, and the silicon diode rectifier switch. The triple has 3 vacuum tube rectifiers and the silicon diode option. I think you're thinking of the Marks that have the class A or simulclass option.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
ah.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

i think the 6505 could take out the duel and single rec's. but not the triple thats 150 watts......what the hell man.
Quote by Dirk Gently
(even worse for the hobbyist to own)

You can an attenuator like the Hot Plate and play at lower volumes. (I assume you're refering to the volume issue)

Quote by Dirk Gently
If you don't even know if you're going to be playing gigs, look at a combo. The Rectoverb and the Tremoverb have the same amp structuring as the Single Recto head.

The Rectoverb is open back so you don't get the same sound as a closed back recto cab paired with Single or Dual Recto. Also, the Tremoverb is exactly the same as owning a Dual Recot with 2x12 cabinet, it's not based off the Single Recto.
Yep, you can use an attenuator, but those can sap your tone, so it's a catch 22 situation. I prefer not to use attenuators. I think it's unnecessary to push your tubes all the time, and I don't *need* to have the awesome full tube tone or whatever at bedroom volumes. And what's the use of having a 150 watt tube amp if you're always going to use an attenuator on it?
Hi, I'm Peter
Page 1 of 2