I play guitar, but I've really thought about trying out Bass. Whats the big differance between the two aside from the sound? If I play guitar would it be hard to switch to bass or is it basically the same, I'm really interested in trying bass, but don't have loads of money so all I could really do is go in a store and play, but that doesn't help me too much.
The tunining is the same as the four top string on your guitar (E A D G). It takes a bit more physical strength to make the notes ring properly. You need a bass amp, unless you want to destroy your guitar amp. The style and technique is drastically different, but other that, it's not much of a switch to make.
Quote by franz.d.
What to change the band name? No way!! We have a kick-ass logo of a washing machine eating guitars and everything!!

Quote by elvenkindje
Lol, when I'm bored I'm gonna try that with regular dice! If I'm famous I'll thank you for it
well there is no real diference u could play a 6 string bass like a guitar. it would just sound kinda crapy. but the typical 4 string bass is tuned just like the 6,5,4,3 srtings on a guitar. and u use the same scales, minus the 2 bottom strings. the only difference is that u dont really play chords. u just play the root note of the chord the guitar is playing. and u can make litle licks with the chord tones. like if a guitar is playing a C chord for a measure. u could ethier just play the c note for a measure. or to make it more interesting u could make a little bass line using c, e, and g, which are the chord tones for C.
Quote by mullet0023
well there is no real diference u could play a 6 string bass like a guitar.

Um... what in god's name are you smoking?

Threadstarter; the major difference in bass playing vs. guitar playing, guitars play the chords, bass play arpeggios. The notes are exactly the same, but a chord is when 3 or more notes are played at the same time, whereas an arpeggio is the notes of a chord played singularly. I've talked to a bunch of people, and they find going from bass to guitar easy but guitar to bass hard. I find it funny. Then again, bass came easier to me than most people.
Proud member of The Bass Militia! PM IndieMetalhead to join!

Quote by Fast_Bear
You know your a Bassist when you practice near the ocean, and whales respond.
Um... what in god's name are you smoking?

why couldnt u play it like a guitar? its the same exact thing just a whole hell of alot deeper. i got a 6 string bass and i play it like a guitar sometimes it sounds cool.
no body ever said that its a rule to play only apregios with a bass.
I really don't like the whole cord aspect of playing guitar, so maybe Bass really is for me. I may go to my local music store and try one out tomorrow and see how I like it, hell I may become a bass player. After all, it would make it a lot easier to get in a band too.
why couldnt u play it like a guitar? its the same exact thing just a whole hell of alot deeper. i got a 6 string bass and i play it like a guitar sometimes it sounds cool.
no body ever said that its a rule to play only apregios with a bass.

I realize that there aren't rules on how to play an instrument, but playing a 6 string bass like a guitar is like taking a pan out of the kitchen and saying it's a drum. It just doesn't make sense. Not to mention the difficulty playing a 6 string bass like a guitar.

Quote by lespaulsg09
I really don't like the whole cord aspect of playing guitar, so maybe Bass really is for me. I may go to my local music store and try one out tomorrow and see how I like it, hell I may become a bass player. After all, it would make it a lot easier to get in a band too.

Honestly, it won't make it any easier to get in a band, trust me. :P I've been looking in my area for months and got nothing. It may be different in your area, though. Anyway, definitely try before you buy. Bass may not be for you, or it may be the thing you were born for. You never know until you try.
Proud member of The Bass Militia! PM IndieMetalhead to join!

Quote by Fast_Bear
You know your a Bassist when you practice near the ocean, and whales respond.