Page 1 of 2
After seeing Jaco de Lucias thread about how everyone got started I began thinking, How many of us actually don't come from musical families, or haven't had prior instrument experience before bass. I picked up bass two years ago, and I like to think I'm pretty good at it. Bass is my first instrument, and not a single other person in my family plays any instrument....or even sings. How many others out there come from a non-musical background, but are making headway in your bass playing?
No one has any musical experience in my family. And Well i "played" flute in junior high. But i didnt really play, cuz i couldnt even blow right to make any sound come out. So i guess that counts for a non musical background.

So i guess i qualify.

^I also played the trumpet in the elementary school band.....but honestly I never was able to do anything remotely musical on it.
the only musical expirence i had before bass was like a few months of guitar
and then i have been playing bass happily for almost 2 years
i wish my family was musically inclined because then i would have more opprotunities to learn more how to play
Quote by The Pickle Man
If that's the best Chicago has to offer then... well... too bad for Chicago, I guess.
Yea, my family isnt really a musical family, although my uncle does do some singing at parties and stuff and he owns a cheap electric guitar (though he doesnt play it ) but he lives in another country so I wouldnt exactly call it a musical family...

Although, I too, played in the band in middle school...I played the baritone for about 4 weeks, realized I didnt like it and then played the alto saxophone...I played for 2 years and learned to read music decently, could sight read some easy pieces but I always played the boring stuff in the arrangements we played...Not the bass, not the melody, but the harmony...Honestly, wtf is the harmony??...In some other pieces of music it may have a purpose but in the pieces we played it was all boring quarter notes mirroring the melody and slightly resembling the bass...Although it was neither and it didnt contribute to the songs...It reminds me of rootnotes now that I think of it...

Anyways, I cant say that I came from a musical background and the reading of music with the sax didnt help because I never read bass clef, although it gave me the basics of musical notation...

Then, about 2 years ago I picked up my first guitar and then after about 6 months I figured out how much I loved bass and I switched...And I'd say I'm pretty decent now as a bassplayer and not a guitar-->bass converter...Although I'm still ok on guitar and I still play it...

And I impress my bandmates with my knowledge of bass and guitars...They're like "Oooh, so thats what a humbucker is!"..."Wood has an effect on the sound of the guitar?"...lol fairly common knowledge I think but they focus more on playing than the knowledge and specs of the guitar itself...And I learned this all thanks to the wonderful folks (at the bass forum) on UG!...

wow this post got kinda offtopic...
"All matter is merely energy condensed into a slow vibration and we're all one consciousness experiencing ourselves subjectively, theres no such thing as death, life is just a dream and we're the imagination of ourselves."
Last edited by XeNoCiDe730 at Jun 8, 2006,
i had two years of piano(hated it, dunno why, i respect piano players but it just not for me) and that about it :P
My uncle can play guitar, recorder, harmonica and violin. I've been playing bass for 2 and a half years and music class for 1 year, and i still cant write music
Proud Member Of The Bass Militia

PM Nutter_101 To Join
Quote by Bumper
^I also played the trumpet in the elementary school band.....but honestly I never was able to do anything remotely musical on it.

same. Bass in a non-musical family that's amazed I can figure out chords on piano. lol
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
I also come from a non-musical background and I have been playing bass for a little over 2 years and I would like to think that I am decent at it considering I've never taken lessons for it (just like many others on UG I'm sure).
A lot of my mom's side sings, but that's about it. My dad tried trumpet and didn't stick with it.

However, my dad loves music, and has a very good appreciation of music for a non-musician, so I was surrounded by good music since I was born. That probably helped one way or another.
My family is also non-musical. Except that my father played guitar when he was like 13 years old...I have no previous experience in music, and i play bass for about an year...
it's funny because my late grandmother was a classical pianist. She gave me my love of Classical music. She could play Rachmaninoffs 3rd Concerto! Absolutely amazing. My gradfather however hated music (i know!), and therefore my mother was never pushed into music, although she played piano for a few years when she was about 6. My father is a world renowned steel drum player (also know as the Pan), but never taught me at all. I tinkered with a keyboard when i was younger and had a fanstatic ear for figuring out songs. I soon gave that up though. And then at the age of 25 i get into bass, and now guitar, piano, you name it.. Of course everyone is saying "Ah, see you dad is musical, thats why you're so good, it's in your genes.....blah blah blah..." I dont buy that "in the genes" bollocks. You just need to practice like there is no tomorrow. Simple. Now my two brothers are learning guitar and my mother has started piano lessons. heh heh
Well, I played flute for 5 years before taking up bass.

Flute still my primary one though, I'm just better at flute. though I can jamwith friends with bass though, and its catching fast.

No music background though. So chords I'm getting then hang of through school and I'm trying to learn pentatonic scales.
I've played Trumpet for about six years now, and Bass for a little over one, and my parents never played instruments in their life, but it was their decision to have me play the Trumpet, not like I don't appreciate it, I'm grateful, so I'm about in between. My parents also made my brother pick an instrument so he plays Clarinet and he's learning how to play the drums. My grandmother played the French horn and Trumpet in HS and I have cousins who play the Flute, French Horn, and Trumpet and a couple uncles who play the guitar.

It's funny to see how well I relate to those who said that their families are incredibly impressed at their musical endeavors. I wonder to see how many people have met their significant others through music, not to mention life long friends. I know I've met most of my friends through band and music, including my girlfriend who plays the flute.
Quote by Applehead
Of course everyone is saying "Ah, see you dad is musical, thats why you're so good, it's in your genes.....blah blah blah..." I dont buy that "in the genes" bollocks. You just need to practice like there is no tomorrow.

It's in your genes.... silliness. They're all just jealous.

I get that crap sometimes too.... "oh you do well in school because your dad is so smart." Of course, it's not like I actually had to do any work on my own, I was just born with it
I'm the musical one in my whole family, basically. On my mom's side, all my aunts/uncles/cousins are country people (i.e born in Alabama) and don't know much about music (other than it's for listening ). On my dad's side, not a single one is musical. I'm it, and i picked it up really fast. I love music! I originally started (and still play) on trombone in 6th grade. Now in 10th and picked up bass in September of last year.
Proud member of The Bass Militia! PM IndieMetalhead to join!

Quote by Fast_Bear
You know your a Bassist when you practice near the ocean, and whales respond.
Noone in my family is musical. except for an uncle here, and a friend of the family there. I just wanted to learn one day lol. l
My Stepdad had a bass and a guitar. other than that pretty un musical family.
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
My families completly unmusical, didnt even understand the difference between a bass and a guitar and after 3 and a half years of playing bass they still don't, i was forced at school into taking up things like recorder and keyboards but never was any good at it although i learnt how to read music from it which helped understanding the theory side of things when i started playing bass
No one in my family plays an instrument, in fact when I first started learning guitar, my dad was a real dick about it, saying "you haven't got very musical blood" and saying I'd find it very hard. I don't know why, cos he's normally sound. But no, no musical family and I still get by pretty well.
So many possibilities, so little ability.

Quote by Asthia
You know you're a guitar player when you tell your father what note he's yelling at you in and then improvise over the top.
no music whatsoever since i was born, my parents both played guitar in there teens, but gave up..

bass for 2 1/4 years guitar for 3 months..

i love it
neither of my parents or their parents played instruments (other than my grandads mout organ \m/) my cousin plays the guitar, he's pretty damn good too, my sister plays clarinet, other than that, nothing, really non-musical, although my dad really encouraged me to play guitar which was nice. Although he wasn't too keen on bass.
Quote by slayaplaya

(oh! maybe some one will sig that witty comment! maybe not...)
Well my Dad is a professional musician, he plays many instruments; Saxaphone, Flute, other wind instruments, he has an Acoustic Guitar and a Bass which he lent me to start out on - yet I don't live with him and I wouldn't say that he heavily influenced me musically, but it's good to be able to talk to him about it.
Musicman Stingray 3EQ
Quote by Applehead
^ You in a band? I'd love to hear you play..

Nope! Soon to be though... starting one in about 3 weeks with some friends, after these exams
Musicman Stingray 3EQ
I am from a family that has never come closer than about fifty feet to a musical instrument before I bought my first bass.
I picked it up two years ago, much to their disdain (My father has dreams of me being an electrician... ), and never looked back since.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Well... I play the guitar. My dad is awesome on the drums (I mean; really good. Could probably own most of todays drummers. NO FLAMING! I SAID MOST OF TODAYS! SO NO GODDAMN ''OMG T3H T00L DRUMMER PWNS YOUR DAD! I know he does already ) and he has played bass. But never guitar. But I got into guitar and such but I'm the first one in our family to ever grace the house with a guitar. Most of my relatives all play drums (4 of them are professional drummers, 2 professional percussionists. That alone says enough) but I just never really got into them. So I would say I started something on my own, and I'm quite good. But I curse everytime I see a vid here (My picking speed SUCKS!).

Great thread by the way. You bassists sure make the best threads on UG.
When I heard smoking would kill me, I bought shares in Dunhill and Marlboro - Thomas Geraghty

If we don't change it, nothing will fucking change.
Quote by NineInchNails_0
Great thread by the way. You bassists sure make the best threads on UG.

I didn't start the thread, but I 'll sig it anyway.
Ha, I'm amused at the few who have said they played flute before bass. I played flute for 5 years, in the Vermont Youth Orchestra for two. My parents aren't musically talented, but my grandmother was verymuch so, and I heard it can often skip a generation. I wish anyway.
Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray > Digitech BP200 > Gallien Krueger 400RBIII/115

Co-President of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Incubus_Science to join.

Quote by crazypeanutman

damn yertle, you got some groove
Quote by gm jack
I didn't start the thread, but I 'll sig it anyway.

LOL. for sigging me.
When I heard smoking would kill me, I bought shares in Dunhill and Marlboro - Thomas Geraghty

If we don't change it, nothing will fucking change.
On my dad's side I suppose there's a fair deal of musical talent, with my dad singing and one of his brothers playing drums while the other plays bass. So that's where I got my bass: a hand-me-down from my uncle...it's fretless lol (he actually defretted it and filled the frets in...)

On my moms side, her step-brother sang in a KISS cover band and still sings today, but that's not really blood relation.

Before picking up bass I played percussion in grades seven and eught. We had three percusionists: one on the snare/crash, one one on a bass drum and one on a xylophone. Turned out I usually played the xylophone cause the other two couldn't read music.

At the end of grade eight, I picked up my bass and then learned guitar about six months after first learning bass. Now is about my one year mark for bass playing
Nobody in my family can play anything. I played keyboard for 3 years, and i'b fooled around on guitar every once and a while, nothing serious. Started bass about a year and a half ago.
Wow... I guess I get to fill the "it runs in my family" post.

My mom did viola. My dad plays stand up bass and piano (like a God)

My aunt is an award winning organist.

They all have given up music temporarily so I get all their stuff. Grand Piano, $25000 stand up, 2 Roland synth modules, a hammond B3, and a Custom Shop Jazz bass.

I play all the aforementioned insturments. Bass for about 2 years
Member of UG's Keyboardists club. PM 4string-tsurigi to join.

Jimbo Wallace of the Godlike, Archaic, But Sexy Instrument Players. PM me to join.
My uncle plays bass, but he didn't start until college. My mom took piano lessons for a few years, but nothing too serious. She's a scientist

When I was like two I got a little PlaySkool piano. I learned "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" by ear, and I have loved music ever since then. No one in my family is really that musical.

As far as pre-bass music experience, I have been playing the piano for a long time, I played the guitar for about a year, and I have been playing clarinet for almost 5 years.

Dictator For Life of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Yertle to join.
Quote by Ilmarinen
It's funny to see how well I relate to those who said that their families are incredibly impressed at their musical endeavors. I wonder to see how many people have met their significant others through music, not to mention life long friends. I know I've met most of my friends through band and music, including my girlfriend who plays the flute.

I met my girlfriend through music, and my best friends through music. Music, it brings the world together My family is amazed that I can play bass, because no one in my family has ever been musical, my cousin and I are the first ones to start playing music. My mom and dad both tried playing piano, trumpet, and a few more instruments, but neither of them could grasp it. I'm thankful that I was able to get it. Music is a great thing to be able to understand, appreciate and play.
Quote by The_patient
Music is a great thing to be able to understand, appreciate and play.

I think that is the best thing anyone has said around here over the past few weeks

Dictator For Life of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Yertle to join.
The bass is my first instrument. I dont really have musical family, although we all listen to music. My dad can play the bagpipes though
Spector Legend 4 Custom
Ashton AB-2
Dunlop 105Q Crybaby
Ibanez PD7 Overdrive
SWR LA 15 (dead)
Gallien-Krueger 700RB-II
Gallien-Krueger Neo 212
Quote by The_patient
Music is a great thing to be able to understand, appreciate and play.

Yes, it is. I would say one of the most rewarding things in life is to play an instrument. That, and shagging your boss. 2/2 - i'm doing well.
I haven't had any serious experience(****ed around on my brothers guitar a bit, but smashed it, stayed away) with music before bass. my brothers and dad play music.
Page 1 of 2