Just out of curiosity what has everybody got against the line 6 spiders.........I haven't played any but I'm planning to get a Line 6 Spider ii 112 and I want some opinions before buying it........I've been playing for a while now and I have an '82 Marshall stack but nothing that is small enough for me to carry to jam sessions with friends and such as that......I want something that I can just toss in the back of a car and go to somebody's house and plug it in and play and be able to overpower say a drum set and another amp.........so am I going to be getting screwed by getting this or am I going to get close to what I need............

By the way....I play Classic Rock and Blues........Also just a little Metal and new stuff like Velvet Revolver and I like to play stuff by Black Label Society.............basically what I want is something in which I can get every sound from Iron and Wine(j/k) to Black Label Society...you know what I mean...............

Well I just need some opinions.......

Thanks

Edit:

I'm planning on ordering it from Line 6 and they have like a gaurantee that if you don't like it you can send it back.........Plus I'm not planning on using it for anything other than jamming not gigs or anything so I don't mind not playing it before hand........I was also told by one of my friends(he's been playing for about three years and knows a bunch of crap about amps) that it would be okay for what I need............
Quote by chrisbeevor
If he had a large moustache... Sadamme Hussein? Maybe I'm hallucinating...
Quote by HelpImARock
"You think your better than guitar at us?!
Quote by Gin_Rummy
My friend's uncle lives inbetween Jimi Hendrix and Keith Moon and they jam on a daily basis.
Last edited by dragoon_mage2 at Jun 8, 2006,
Why are you planning on getting it if you haven't played it yet?

As a practice amp, the Spyder is fine. Doesn't really sound good but it has a bunch of effects and what not.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
i own an older line 6 head, a flextone. i would trust the spyder, even though i have never played it, but just make sure you dont get an amp just because it has a bunch of effects, i did that and bought a marshall MG100HDFX, i d it so i sold it to get my line 6.
MG and Line 6? Wow...that's like asking whether someone wants to die by papercut or getting eaten alive by ants.

Amp tone > on board effects. The sound of a cat dying painfully > the sound of a Line 6 Spider. Look into a Roland Cube or Vox Valvetronix amp. Unless you play numetal, then it's ok to get a Line 6 because tone probably doesn't matter to you anyway.
Hi, I'm Peter
^He already has a Marshall '82 Stack, buddy. Nice try though.

I suggest Vox Valvetronix for your money. Quite worth it. Flexibility up the rear-end for ya.
If you just want it for practice, go for a Marshall MG30DFX or MG50DFX. Either will be better than a line 6 Spider.

No matter what you get though, try it first. Go to a guitar store and try any amps that will fit your needs.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Okay..........Due to current posts I'm looking through Musicians Friend at other amps......the problem I see is that for the budget I have nothing else has the power.......It pushes 75 watts and its $300.......that is my max budget..........

Also I'm not buying it for the effects(that is a horrible idea) and I don't play numetal........
Quote by chrisbeevor
If he had a large moustache... Sadamme Hussein? Maybe I'm hallucinating...
Quote by HelpImARock
"You think your better than guitar at us?!
Quote by Gin_Rummy
My friend's uncle lives inbetween Jimi Hendrix and Keith Moon and they jam on a daily basis.
You really don't need 75 watts. 30 or 50 will be fine for what you want. For $300 you can get a nice 30w amp. For ~$350 you can get a nice 50w amp. Don't bother with anything bigger than that. A 50w will have all the power you could need-even if it's solid state.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
What about that 5w Epiphone all tube head? The Valve Junior I think? Would that be loud enough with a cabinet to play over drums?
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
For practice I would go w/ a line 6, i dont like the marshall's at all
line 6... They've got a lot stuff packed into them, 12 amp models, if you would like, you just tell me the settings that you want to be recorded, and i coudl record them for you

Edit* Their are 2 different, cleans, twangs, blues, crunch, metal, and insane
And I could record clips from my Vox and you'd see how infinitely better sounding they are than Spiders...
Hi, I'm Peter
I Heard the Line 6 Spyders really werent that great. Some people totally bash on Line 6 and say Marshalls are better but then again it depends. Depends on the kind of head the Line 6 is and hwat kind of head the marshall is. It Also depends on the person who is setting it up. I mean if someone who isn't too good at setting up an amp has a Marshall and cant set it up is going up against someone who can get a good sound out of the Line 6. Then in that argument Line 6 wins. The Nice thing about line 6 is that there are a lot of different sounds (amp models) to choose from. It really gets down to personal preference.
Quote by Dirk Gently
If you'd like it to be

lets GO!!!

*Edit* You know, we really should do that, record and go against each other, well not against each other, but amp to amp, every category, then we could post it, maybe share a new dmusic --> then compare side by side, Distortion, clean ETC!
Last edited by \m/metallica\m/ at Jun 8, 2006,
Do you have any guitars that are H-S-H? The closest thing I have is a modded Strat.
Hi, I'm Peter
Well, my Strat has 2 full size buckers in the neck and bridge and a single coil sized bucker in the middle, so if you want to do just neck and bridge, that would probably work. I can get the clips done by tomorrow. Kind of late here now.

Either that, or I'm bustin' out the PRS. And you DON'T want me to do that.

Hi, I'm Peter
like my friend mentalyinsane72 said its all personal prefrence. i myself d my marshall mg, i thought it sounded way to buzzy and tone-less. but thats me. you have to think that any amp that is a lower like a marshall mg or spider wont sound that great. but like a marshall dsl and a vetta 2 will sound great. so its all your opinion, and what you can afford.
It's a PRS Standard 24 with a McCarty mod - 2 McCarty pickups and a 3 way switch. I put the left over pickups in my Strat And I don't have that kind of labels on mine, so I'll do "Boutique Clean" for clean, "Tweed 4x10" for blues, "AC30" for basic rock, and then pick something from the distortion models for heavy stuff. But it sounds good to me.
Hi, I'm Peter
ill bust out my 6505 and american deluxe fat strat and smoke everyone.
^^^ yeah but he's already got a stack dude

Anyways We'll do a
Blues
Clean (Both Bridge and Neck pickup)
Rock
Hard Rock-Heavy metal

Im liking that, i dont really play blues, so we'll see how it goes!
Should i start a thread tomorow, in the GG and A forum??? the showdown? maybe this is gonna be fun
*reaches for his Mark IV*
Don't make me do it.

And yeah, send me a PM when you're all set and I'll do the same.
Hi, I'm Peter
This'll be fun. Two guys did this with the Vox and the Cube last year, but I don't think it's been done with a Vox and a Line 6.
Hi, I'm Peter
I have a line 6 Spider II amp. All the channels leading up to crunch sound good and clean. The distortion (metal and insane) are kinda ****ty though, especially the default settings. It's hard to describe what the metal/insane channels sounds like, but I have this random ****ty riff I recorded 4 years ago and this is basically what the distortion is gonna sound like on default settings:

http://media.putfile.com/line6oldriff

I've messed around with the settings on this amp for months but I havent been able to get this thing to sound good.

Now, don't get me wrong, I've heard some pretty amazing stuff played by people on a Line 6 but they usually they have one of those amp effect simulation devices that give you all kinds of good tones.
I have the 30 watt combo. Its acctually not as bad as people make it out to be. I think that the main problem is that at the stores, you cant really play around with the amp for a long period of time, therefore you cant get a decent tone. I have an ok tone on the insane mode, and a decent clean. I'm a gain nut, so I love how much distortion I can get from the amp without any pedals. I played an MG half stack the other day, and I couldnt get a decent tone out of it to save my life. Also, if you go on line 6's website, it gives you a bunch of tones to get you spider to sound like popular songs. Right now, my insane tone is modeled off of a Crazy Train tone, with lowered mids. I also like the effects, and the price. the 30 watt was only $200 USD.

Also, Im looking forward to this Line 6 vs VOX thing tomorow.