I am getting very angry with my skill level. I have been playing since christmas 04' and I can't play solos that well. The hardest solo I know is knockin' on heavens door. Like, I can't learn the solo without some guidance. I am very mad because people who have been playing half the time as me can learn solos easily. It's mostly the timing, it seems like the tabs dont go with it, or I don't know when that part is played. Do you get better at it by learning more solos. Help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Quote by Johnny83191
I am getting very angry with my skill level. I have been playing since christmas 04' and I can't play solos that well. The hardest solo I know is knockin' on heavens door. Like, I can't learn the solo without some guidance. I am very mad because people who have been playing half the time as me can learn solos easily. It's mostly the timing, it seems like the tabs dont go with it, or I don't know when that part is played. Do you get better at it by learning more solos. Help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Listen to the solo until you have it memorised. You should be able to hum the solo. Once you know it well it should be easy to follow the tab.
Minister of Zeppelinism, PM TheHeartBreaker to join
#6 member of the oasis fan club
Cardinal of The 1st Church of Frusciantism
'89 fender american strat
Vox ad15vt
Peavey raptor plus EXP(bridge: alnico 2 pro)
yamaha f-310p
Quote by Johnny83191
K thanks. Right now I am trying to learn you shook me all night long solo.

Step by step instructions on how to do this solo:

http://freelicks.net/ACDC_You_shook.htm
Minister of Zeppelinism, PM TheHeartBreaker to join
#6 member of the oasis fan club
Cardinal of The 1st Church of Frusciantism
'89 fender american strat
Vox ad15vt
Peavey raptor plus EXP(bridge: alnico 2 pro)
yamaha f-310p
what ironman said..... thast what i do its the best way to go about things. once i can hum a solo i can play it a lot easier.
Yeah man once you can hum a song it comes a lot lot easier, also try listening to the solo and amagine where its being played on the guitar that helps me. You can always just play it slow over and over again, let your brian remember every single note and position on the guitar and then speed it up to the actual song. I'm not too great at solos either but it opens doors. Don't get discouraged, to some people music comes naturally and to others it dosen't (Im somewhere in the middle). You just have to keep at it and it will come just remember when you first started playing guitar and you though how imposible some things were that can be played easily now. Just break up the solo in sections and master it one at a time, if you put a lot of practice and time into a section of music you can master it I don't care who you are.
What you were saying about not being able to see the tab and hear it Google Search Powertab you can download the tab files from this site
Guitar Pro costs money is a hell of alot better then powertab so try those and what they're saying about Huming the solo Is DEFINITELY what you need to do OR just practice a hell of alot of scales intil your a mindless scale Zombie like Yngiwe Malmsteen and then any solo someone throws atcha you can instantly learn Good Luck man!
you have to stop compairing yourself to other players, dont get discouraged by them, everyone understands and picks up things at different rates. The idea about humming the solo is a really useful thing to start practising
uh if your timing is bad, you might want to try playing around with a metronome... and I don't mean like for a day or two, I mean for months and months, during all your playing/practicing. It'll take a while, but eventually you'll just start "feeling" notes/lengths, and it'll be a LOT easier to get right. Takes effort and dedication, but if you're actually into learning the guitar seriously, you should do that.

And if you aren't, you should go to hell
Jackson DKMG & KE3, Fender Mexican Strat, Stagg Acoustic

Boss Compressor & Chorus, Dunlop Crybaby, Behringer Delay, ISP Decimator, Ibanez Tubescreamer

Laney TT50H, Marshall 1960A, Roland Cube 15

Looking to jam in Belfast, PM me!
Quote by ar73m
uh if your timing is bad, you might want to try playing around with a metronome... and I don't mean like for a day or two, I mean for months and months, during all your playing/practicing. It'll take a while, but eventually you'll just start "feeling" notes/lengths, and it'll be a LOT easier to get right. Takes effort and dedication, but if you're actually into learning the guitar seriously, you should do that.

And if you aren't, you should go to hell

Completely agree. Playing with a metronome, helps your playing. ALOT
you... dont know how to use a metronome???

www.metronomeonline.com

theres a free metronome playing off flash player. Click on one of the numbers. Thats the amount of beats per minute. anything above 120 is useless to start off with. Play the solo at 60 beats a minute, then move to 65, then 70, 80 etc until you get to your desired bpm.
Some people learn faster then others, don't compare yourself with them itll just make you feel worse.

And for soloing, just slowly build up to it, dont start learning it at normal speed. Starting slower will help build accuracy and dexterity in your fingers. Like someone said above use a metrenome too.
yeah, don't beat yourself up over it. levels are levels, i mean, i can't get some of the stuff i should have gotten a few months ao, and i can solo good, but i mean, everyone progresses differently. you'll get i t, just be diligent and practice until you have it in youre fingers, not your head!
Use powertab or guitar pro, they let you "play" the tab so you know exactly how its supposed to sound.
Try this....... place your pick under your pillow and patiently wait for the mad chops fairy to come by and grant you with insane chops while you sleep.

In all seriousness though get a metronome and just work on your picking accuracy at different speeds, play scales, arpeggios, your licks, other people's licks, random chormatic exercises, ect. Most importantly don't get frustrated and take a break if you find guitar playing stressful, remember, it's supposed to be fun.
Guitar
Jackson DKMGT with semour duncan pickups
Peavey Classic 30 (upgraded speaker)
Digitech Digidelay
Ibanez TS9DX Turbo Tube Screamer
Dunlop wah
Boss DS-1
Bass
Rogue LX400 pro- 4 string bass
Rogue RB60 60 watt bass combo
yeah.... guitar pro will be of great help... you can reduce the tempo of tabs...

Try playing songs you really like...