I think someone told me that. What's like an awesome speaker that could surpass V30's or Greenbacks? (looking for low end with sharp highs, and decent mid range)
Mesa Dual Rec/ Mesa 4X12 cab
01 PRS Custom 22
06 PRS Singlecut Ann.
1965 Fender Mustang
Ibanez acoustic
AceFrehley Epiphone LP
Takamine Explorer
tr-2 tu-2 / EHX DMM / MXR Script Phase 90 / SMM w/ HAZR
WH-1 Whammy / 535Q Crybaby
well I have never heard them, but there has to be a reason that vox sells their amps for $600 more when the normal speakers are replaced with Celestion AlNiCo Blues
Amps or cab? The speakers in my Mesa are V30's and retail for $900 (houston). I just... man... paying for the name or what?
01 PRS Custom 22
06 PRS Singlecut Ann.
1965 Fender Mustang
Ibanez acoustic
AceFrehley Epiphone LP
Takamine Explorer
Celestions are all name. Try some Eminences. "Red Fang" might be nice for you, or a "The Governor"
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
Pink..

I know you love eminence...

But how do you think celestion got their name? By making a kick-ass speaker. If you can manage to get a vintage celestion, or something pre-china, they really kick alot of ass. They're expensive but honestly they're just as bad as most companies who have been around for decades.
^That's just what I mean
If he's looking for new speakers, made now, not special vintage ones, the Eminences completely pwn the Celestions. We're past the Celestion "Made in Ipswich, England" phase.
I just cranked my Dual up to about the 12:00 to see about the V30's ... u know... just to see. Now I can't hear anything. It's uh... a sad/beautiful thing.
01 PRS Custom 22
06 PRS Singlecut Ann.
1965 Fender Mustang
Ibanez acoustic
AceFrehley Epiphone LP
Takamine Explorer
^Its true, the V30's are ear crushingly loud IMO...
My Eminence Governor(equivalent) is too...
When I bought my C30, I though I wanted a very efficient speaker, but looking back I wish I had gotten a less efficient one...it's loud!
w00t! \m/ ^-^ \m/

t3h n00bsp33k pwnz0rz

I'm still looking for some earplugs that don't muffle the tone...
I picked these ones up at beacocks music (in vancouver, if you were wondering) for $15, they just reduce the volume, not muffle...

They're pretty sweet, lemme try to find the box/paper for em.

http://www.8thstreet.com/prod.asp?pid=10388

I bought em and afterwards I could actually hear the highs/definitions when I was soloing during band practice. it was nice..
Last edited by xxgenocide98xx at Jun 10, 2006,
^Nice, any info would be appreciated.
The Alnico's and the Heritage Greenbacks are still made in England. But they also cost twice as much. I put a 30watt Heritage G12H in my Blonde Blues Jr. and I love it. Stock both of my Fenders (Jr. and Twin) came with Eminence speakers. But since IMO Eminence are crap for those who don't know any better, I put the Greenback in the Jr. and Vintage 30's in my Twin.

Edit: Yes Greenbacks are the best speaker out there, IMO.
Breakfast; the most importent drink of the day.
Last edited by Molsons Golden at Jun 10, 2006,
Quote by xxgenocide98xx

But how do you think celestion got their name? By making a kick-ass speaker. If you can manage to get a vintage celestion, or something pre-china, they really kick alot of ass. They're expensive but honestly they're just as bad as most companies who have been around for decades.

The China one's are made in exactly the same way as the pre-china ones. I haven't heard anyone complain about the new ones.. (Bar some eltist assholes who couldn't tell the difference in a "blind-recording" test.) The component parts are identical too, so the only real difference is where they were made (and unless you are Eric Johnson I doubt you'd hear the difference. )

On the Eminence Vs Celestion debate: they both good.. That's the end of it... Saying one is miles above the other is ignorance to the highest order.

As a rule Eminence sound brighter and thinner whereas Celestion sound woodier and fuller, but of course there are exceptions to this. I've heard of numerous problems with Eminence too, they seem to like to fall apart... But of course Celestion has that problem in some batches too.

Weber speakers are extremely nice, put together extremely nicely and have a really fat vintage tone. Not to mention their options go way beyond anything availible from the big two. Tone Tubby is worth a look too if you're into the sorta reedy Santana tones (but be warned an alnico hempcone will cost you a number of limbs.) Lastly check out Jensen for the American tones obviously.. They can't be touched for early fender tones.

EDIT: Some things I forgot: Electro-voice make awesome speakers for heavy metal and Jazz! They're really hi-fi and barely colour your tone at all, perfect for piling on the gain or simply letting the tone of your guitar ring through for a hi-fi type amp.

Also if you're on a budget the Carvin speakers are said to be awesome... And don't bother with any Eminence out of the Red Coat or whatever series, IMO they are extremely muddy and don't have any life to them. (the V12 etc.)
For sale: Early 1985 Ibanez AH10 (Allan Holdsworth signature model) PM for details
^ Oh, no doubt. Wasnt saying either was better or worse, just giving another side of the arguement. I myself couldn't really tell the difference in speakers when I tried them other than the little bit of break-in period they had.

Edit:

To Pink, since his PM box is full.

In case you didn't see it..

I've got these ones, I'm not sure if you could just buy em locally or if someone in p-town stocks them. They work pretty good, they can be kind of uncomfortable at first so make sure to get the right size, but you get used to it.

http://www.8thstreet.com/prod.asp?pid=10388

Its nice to be able to hear during practice. It just dampens the sound, like, you can hear someone crashing away on drums but you can also hear people talking without having to read lips or take your plugs out.
Meh, well I guess I am a bit biased, but I did have a V30 that crapped out on me...and then nobody would even acknowledge that the speaker could have possibly gone bad...

It was good while it lasted, but I got pretty pissed. I didn't even blow it, the cone just started going all weird and flubby on me. Not cool. I subconsciously associated it with build quality, as I also have a made in the UK Celestion that's at least 10 years old, and going strong.
Needless to say the whole deal kind of influenced my view on speaker manufacturers...

Also, the price factor is pretty big for me.
Eminences are cheaper.

And thanks for the link Geno.