I am having trouble playing the 21st and 22nd frets on my Gibson Les Paul Standard. It's also got a 50's neck on it which I found made it harder to play (when I first picked it up) but it had the best tone in the store (in my opinion). I can reach the 19th and 20th frets no problem, even up to the A string. I defenitly can't reach the 21st fret with my index, so I end up playing with my ring and pinky, but than my bends sound weak because I have not fingers behind my pinky. I can easily reach with my middle finger if I take my thumb out from behind the neck, but I loose grip obviously and I bet it's a technical no no. I have a feeling it's my thumb technique that is holding me back, any suggestions?
Geniuses are like poets, they speak in metaphors.
-Fly
That's the problem some people have with LP's-they don't have the best fret access. I don't know what you could do to improve your reach though. Sorry.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Which strings are the ones that you cannot reach those frets? If its all of them youve got a problem, but you can sort it just by doing some hand exersices everytime before you start playing, such are found here

Quote by Robbie n strat
In the changing rooms we'd all jump around so our dicks and balls bounced all over the place, which we found hilarious.

Little children should be felt, not heard.
you can improve your bends with your pinky and ring finger by putting your other fingers on the same string behind the fretted note, that way you have a few more fingers helping out your pinky. also, if playing with your pinky is limiting, do what i do and only use your first three fingers on the high frets--they're spaced closer together anyway so you don't even need the extra reach of your pinky most of the time. yeah, i think that should help a lot
Ya i've got the same problem as well but hey, if the LP's are good enough for slash, zakk wylde, jimmy page, joe perry, randy rhoads and such and such. Than they are good enough for me and you, so i just find a way to make it happen.
Gear :
Emperador LP Custom
Fender Bullit
Line 6 spider II HD
Build more strengh in your pinky+ring fingers, bend more with them, then you'll be able to do it better up high.

And LP's fret access up high aren't the greatest.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Adjusting the action wouldn't do anything right?

But mabye you could change the string gauge
Gonna Leave this town

Gotta leave this town

Gonna make a whole lotta money

Gonna be big yeah...
(Jimi Hendrix - Hear My Train A Comin')

flickr
^I don't think the problem's about action, more about reaching.

The string guage may help with making those high bends easier for your fingers though, but you should just take it like a man and build some strengh in your fingers.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
i do the same thing you do Ely. i just slip my thumb out from under the neck. then let it rest on the bottom of the neck. im only ever up there for a few seconds so cheating doesnt bother me
Quote by Dan Steinman
you can improve your bends with your pinky and ring finger by putting your other fingers on the same string behind the fretted note, that way you have a few more fingers helping out your pinky. also, if playing with your pinky is limiting, do what i do and only use your first three fingers on the high frets--they're spaced closer together anyway so you don't even need the extra reach of your pinky most of the time. yeah, i think that should help a lot

i disagree the more fingers you have the faster you can play.
well the only string you really need to bend is the high E, everything else just do it on the next string on a lesser fret
"i disagree, I play on my own and if I had to play through my avt for another minute I'd probably poke a fork into the input, with the hope of both electrocuting myself and destroying the amp in one fell swoop."
-Dave_mc

Best video ever
Quote by R_H_C_P
^I don't think the problem's about action, more about reaching.

The string guage may help with making those high bends easier for your fingers though, but you should just take it like a man and build some strengh in your fingers.

Oh allright,

I'd better start stretching my fingers.
Gonna Leave this town

Gotta leave this town

Gonna make a whole lotta money

Gonna be big yeah...
(Jimi Hendrix - Hear My Train A Comin')

flickr
Quote by notoriousnumber
Which strings are the ones that you cannot reach those frets? If its all of them youve got a problem, but you can sort it just by doing some hand exersices everytime before you start playing, such are found here

Holy cow, I've been searching for exercises like that since the first day I started playing! Thanks.
Oh well, I guess I'll just "take it like a man" and do the practice, practice, practice thing and get better and stronger. I always ask first on UG if there's a miracle fix...
Geniuses are like poets, they speak in metaphors.
-Fly
I play a LP too, and the fret access is definitely not as great as most other guitars. When I'm playing that high, I just give a good stretch and use my ring finger. I can't do anything that high with my pinky. And, like Dan Steinman said, use your other fingers to support bends with your ring and pinky fingers. This is, in my opinion, about the only downside of a Les Paul, but what I said works for me
Proud owner of a Gibby LP Custom and an all-original Vintage '62 Fender Jag

Quote by richwatkinson
Give 10 UGers a rope and ask them to pull. 4 will push, 1 will ask for buttsecks, 2 will tell you get an Ibanez and the last 3 will start complaining about Line6 Spiders.