has anyone heard of sufjan stevens?

he is really amazing , if you like mellow indie acoustic stuff with the occasional banjo and violin. but hes got a great voice. He is writing a Cd for every state in the US which i think is a rad idea and it's rumored that Oregon is next (that's where i'm at) but yeah my favorite song is chicago or casimir pulaski day.
yes, people have heard of sufjan stevens.

come on feel the illinoise is such a happy happy sounding song.

its like magic rays of sunshine that come down when i'm feelin' blue.
It's a shame that the world caught onto him when he released his worst album.
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
Yeah i really dig his music.

Recently i've mainly been listening to The Avalanche, a record with Illinois outtakes that's going to be released on July 11. I didn't expect much because Illinois already had so much on it, but it has some great tunes so you might want to check it out. I like the accoustic version of Chicago a lot, and with the song Dear Mr. Supercomputer he once again showcases his remarkable ability to write songs in odd time measures that are really catchy and accessible.

Quote by andrewbiles
It's a shame that the world caught onto him when he released his worst album.

You said that in the other thread too... you really think Illinois is his worst? Sure i can see why people prefer Seven Swans, but A Sun Came? The only thing that's really wrong with Illinois is the fact that it's too long, so it drags a bit towards the end. But it's by no means a bad record in my opinion.
'A sun came' was a great album. Like you say, 'Illinois' drags, has way too much filler and really the songs have all been done before by him.

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
I'd suffice to say that just about all indie fans have heard of him by now.

Not a fan, though.
I rather enjoy his work, but have only heard a few songs.

Recommend any songs?
Wade in the water, child.
come on andrew, even if it is his worst work it's still a brilliant album!
the heart is a risky fuel to burn
'Enjoy your rabbit' is a masterpiece of electronic music. At least it was an interesting album, whereas on 'Illinois' all he did was regurgitate. There are decent tracks on 'Illinois', don't get me wrong, it's not terrible, it's just boring.

RateYourMusic
Has anyone bought his latest one yet with all the outtakes to Illinois?

It might not even be out yet, but I've seen stuff on sites with it.

And if people have it, is it any good, and can you describe it?
Quote by thepickups
Has anyone bought his latest one yet with all the outtakes to Illinois?

It might not even be out yet, but I've seen stuff on sites with it.

And if people have it, is it any good, and can you describe it?

It won't be out untill mid July i think, but i've heard it.
It's pretty typical Sufjan stuff. Like Illinois, it's much too long, but there are some great songs on it: The Avalanche, Dear Mr Supercomputer, The Henney Buggy Band, the alternate versions of Chicago, Saul Bellow, The Mistress Witch from McClure, Pittsfield... so even though it really shouldn't have been 75 friggin minutes (!!), it's worth checking out.