Page 1 of 2
Hey there, I'm thinking of getting an Epiphone Les Paul Standard but I play mainly Hendrix music (that's the tone I go for). Can you get a Hendrix tone out of a Les Paul? Or is that a Strats job?

Help appreciated
Gonna Leave this town

Gotta leave this town

Gonna make a whole lotta money

Gonna be big yeah...
(Jimi Hendrix - Hear My Train A Comin')

flickr
he played a strat but les pauls are pretty versitale in my opinion anyway I'm not really the best to ask but I'd say you could probably pull it off
i say it's a strat's job. it might be more cost effeicient anyway, arent LPs gererally more expensive?
yeah it can be done, I've done it. Les Pauls are very versatile
Fender Jim Root Signature Telecaster
Martin Westside Custom Edition
Peavey 6505
Peavey XXX Cab
ISP Decimator Prorack G
Sennheiser EW172 G3
Sennheiser wireless IEM
Ibanez TS9DX
Boss TU-2 Tuner
MY BAND:
http://www.myspace.com/thedirtyyouth
Quote by 1h81337
i say it's a strat's job. it might be more cost effeicient anyway, arent LPs gererally more expensive?

Well Epi's are cheaper I think, and also, I like the look of Les Pauls quite a lot. Thanks for all the replies
Gonna Leave this town

Gotta leave this town

Gonna be big yeah...

flickr
It can be done, but you won't get nearly as close to the sound as a Strat would.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
you could pull it off with a les paul but honestly epiphone pick ups suck. They are very muddy. i would suggest replacing the pick ups in the les paul, and may be even spliting the coils to get more of a single coil sound.
Gear:
Fernandes Revolver Elite
Schecter C1 Exotic
Schecter C1 Classic
Peavey JSX head
Hartke 4x12 cab
Boss GT-8
BBE 362 Sonic maximizer
Fender mexican strat costs about the same, but it sounds a bit crap...put new pickups in.

EDIT: hendrix played a righty strat the other way 'round, so put on reverse-wired pickups for the ultimate hendrix tone! Yay!
Ive got a mexican strat and an epiphone les paul... I prefer the feel of the les paul. The Lespaul has a much nicer sound in my opinion...

EDIT: hendrix played a righty strat the other way 'round, so put on reverse-wired pickups for the ultimate hendrix tone! Yay!
I had actually not taken that into account - pardon my ignorance, but how much of a difference would it make?
well since les pauls have humbuckers and strats are single coil that could affect your attempts to obtain the hendrix sound

buy the digitech hendrix pedal
Youtube covers

[url="http://www.youtube.com/user/MrJumboHumbo[/URL"]
Quote by ss311
Hendrix played a Les Paul too...

i've heard that said a lot, but i've never actually seen a picture of him playing one. flying v's yes, but not a les paul.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
Quote by dr_john
i've heard that said a lot, but i've never actually seen a picture of him playing one. flying v's yes, but not a les paul.

I've seen a picture of him playing a LP Special.
Quote by mr_hankey
I've seen a picture of him playing a LP Special.

Ooh, this picture?

And I don't really wanna get a strat yet, I might get one later on, but a higher priced one (I'll need time to save up for it). Plus, I like the look of a Les Paul.

Thanks for the replies
Gonna Leave this town

Gotta leave this town

Gonna be big yeah...

flickr
hendrix played sgs too, it would seem:
Attachments:
hendrix1.jpg
hendrix5.jpg
Quote by Dave_Mc
how do those marshall handles compare tonewise to, say, mesa handles?

Owns a Blackheart Little Giant...
Yea its a Gibby Les Paul Custom (maybe Black Beauty, but cannot tell for sure because it is in black and white)
Quote by sethp
listen to RideTheAnger, he is wise beyond his years.

A recent study shows that 92% of all teenagers have moved on to rap music. Put this in your profile if you are one of the 8% who stayed with the real music
Quote by sashki
Not too much, but if hendrix did it, why not?

actually quite a bit
his lower tones were brighter than his high tones and that was alot of what made up his signiture sound
Quote by RideTheAnger13
Yea its a Gibby Les Paul Custom (maybe Black Beauty, but cannot tell for sure because it is in black and white)

O RLY?
Here I found this picture of it

And It's a Les Paul Custom '55

Gibson Les Paul Custom electric guitar, 1955. Purchased jointly in Nashville in the early 1960s by Jimmy Hendrix and band-mate Larry Lee, this guitar was later played by Larry Lee with Hendrix at the Woodstock Music and Art Fair, 1969. Experience Music Project permanent collection. 1991.3.10

Edit: Ya Rly
Gonna Leave this town

Gotta leave this town

Gonna be big yeah...

flickr
thing is, hendrix could use whatever gear he wanted and he would still sound the same and have the same tone.

on the other hand, you can have whateevr he had, and not sound like him at all.
http://richmusic.dmusic.com

"Those who dream by night, in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was vanity; but dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible."
Quote by rich2k4
thing is, hendrix could use whatever gear he wanted and he would still sound the same and have the same tone.

on the other hand, you can have whateevr he had, and not sound like him at all.

Wrong. A Strat (SSS) will never sound exactly like a Les Paul (HH), and a Les Paul will never sound exactly like a Strat. If you think it does, you're deaf. Also, getting Hendrix's tone has been done accurately by alot of people.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
i wouldn't jump to conclusions buddy.

it would sound the same. the way he played, regardless of the gear used, it would have sounded the same. you can set up a SSS guitar to sound like a humbucker, just as you can set up a les paul to sound like a SSS guitar. plus with all of the effects he experiemnted with, his sound was that of today's solid state amps, it became almost digital.

it is impossible to get someone else's tone exactly, is the point that i am trying to make. you can have the same exact stuff he had, but you won't sound like him. you can argue all you want, but you won't sound like him. it isn't an opinion, it is a fact.

im more educated about guitar and gear in general then you think.

like i said i wouldn't jump to conclusions about somebody.

i don't want to argue, because it is a waste of time for everybody. but there are things that you need to understand.

"Those who dream by night, in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was vanity; but dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible."
Last edited by rich2k4 at Jun 9, 2006,
Quote by adhuv

he played the V more but the epiphone flying V's are shocking in my opinion.

shocking in a good or bad way?
Fender Highway1 USA Stratocaster
Fender FM65R 65w amplifier
Ibanez Tubescreamer 9 Overdrive pedal
Quote by Croat
shocking in a good or bad way?

a bad way.

you see they market at about 235 British Pounds and i felt it was very average, but i think that if they bothered using more expensive hardware and the finishing was better and it was the same price as a les paul lets say it would be a much better guitar.
Quote by rich2k4
i wouldn't jump to conclusions buddy.

it would sound the same. the way he played, regardless of the gear used, it would have sounded the same. you can set up a SSS guitar to sound like a humbucker, just as you can set up a les paul to sound like a SSS guitar. plus with all of the effects he experiemnted with, his sound was that of today's solid state amps, it became almost digital.

it is impossible to get someone else's tone exactly, is the point that i am trying to make. you can have the same exact stuff he had, but you won't sound like him. you can argue all you want, but you won't sound like him. it isn't an opinion, it is a fact.

im more educated about guitar and gear in general then you think.

like i said i wouldn't jump to conclusions about somebody.

i don't want to argue, because it is a waste of time for everybody. but there are things that you need to understand.

I completely disagree. His gear affected his sound, if he used a Les Paul it wouldn't sound like when he is playing a strat. I have a les paul, I have a strat, I have several guitars. I have several different amplifies. I don't sound the same regardless of the combination. I don't plug in my les paul and make it sound like my strat. My style may be the same. As for "tone", that can be replicated. Somebody can sound like me if they use the same rig, their style and playing will be different. However, when they play that open e note, it is going to sound almost exactly like mine.
Quote by RHCP94
It's an option for the "Which one of E Daws parents are uglier?" thread.
Quote by MetalMilitia212
I like the tone you get out of LPs for hendrix. Check this out and see if you like it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpCBLLzND1c&search=little%20wing

Looks like an agile AL-3000!
Quote by sethp
listen to RideTheAnger, he is wise beyond his years.

A recent study shows that 92% of all teenagers have moved on to rap music. Put this in your profile if you are one of the 8% who stayed with the real music
Quote by adhuv
a bad way.

you see they market at about 235 British Pounds and i felt it was very average, but i think that if they bothered using more expensive hardware and the finishing was better and it was the same price as a les paul lets say it would be a much better guitar.

Ah, I see. Well I was gonna get one of those a while back but I changed my mind, if I ever get a Flying V, it'll be a Gibson.

But for now I'm after that Les Paul
Gonna Leave this town

Gotta leave this town

Gonna be big yeah...

flickr
Quote by E Daws
I completely disagree. His gear affected his sound, if he used a Les Paul it wouldn't sound like when he is playing a strat. I have a les paul, I have a strat, I have several guitars. I have several different amplifies. I don't sound the same regardless of the combination. I don't plug in my les paul and make it sound like my strat. My style may be the same. As for "tone", that can be replicated. Somebody can sound like me if they use the same rig, their style and playing will be different. However, when they play that open e note, it is going to sound almost exactly like mine.

that is what i am trying to point out. you just explained it better. the physcial tone may be the same, but you still won't sound the same because your playing styles are different.

if you were alive in hendrix's time and he called you up on stage and gave you the guitar. you were plugged into his entire rig. it would sound like YOU playing through hendrix's rig, it wouldn't sound like hendrix playing through hendrix's rig

do you understand what i am trying to say. you won't sound like him.

sorry but i have to go on, even the tone wouldn't sound the same either. regardless of if you were plugged into his rig. you have to throw in other things too, how hard you pick the notes, your technique, all of this effects the tone drasitcally.

i saw a video a while ago with paul gilbert playing through some ****ty practice amps. but it still sounded great. yet if someone here were to comes and play on the same guitar and same ****ty practice amp, the tone would sound a lot different, things would have a completely different sound, notes wouldn't be as clean. etc so many factors

and to sum it all up

a lot of it has to do with the fact that "its mostly in your hands"

I've posted many times - Hendrix could play on a $49 guitar and still entertain a roomful of folks. It really ain't the Guitar or the Amp (I know - the better they are the better the sound) - it's the man behind the fingers.

I have a $200 Agile AL-2000 and I can make it sound as pretty as any $2000 Les Paul if it's set-up, adjusted and played properly. I blew a couple of Praise Band members away a few nights ago and 1 guitarist couldn't believe the sounds I was producing on my Agile - we switched guitars (he had a VERY NICE Gretsch Country Gentleman) and he couldn't get the same sounds... Once you learn your hardware and the best methods to use with the hardware then you can achieve a quality sound. I also knew he wasn't that great of a guitarist as he was too heavy on the strings... I have a very light touch - let the electronics and the harmonics, etc., do their work for you.
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
Last edited by strangedogs at Jun 9, 2006,
If you mean, "Can I get the same tone as Hendrix with a Les Paul?" then no, you probably can't.

But if you're asking, "Will a Les Paul limit my ability to play Hendrix?" you best get one right away and start learning to play Hendrix anyway, because the only thing that will hold you back from playing Jimi Hendrix is yourself.
what happened to the proposed Kirk Hammett flamenco album?

His acoustic didn't sound good with wah pedal, I suppose.
I would definitly go for the strat if i were you. Hendrix's numbers sound good on all guitars but fare better on a strat. By the way, Jimi Hendrix did lots of tricks with Hum wich you can't imitate on a Les Paul because they have humbuckers
I sold my soul for Rock 'n' Roll

Quote by CSguitarvocal
you've just proven that you're the most ignorant fuck on this website...

Thank you
Quote by darknessfan
Whenever I sit down to play guitar, I always need to pee in like 3 minutes. Is this weird?

Owned
I have a Gibson LP Custom and I get a great Hendrix tone out of it. Not quite as good as a on a strat, but I like the versatility of LPs anyway. Theyre a good investment, especially if you scrounge up the money for a Gibson.

Proud owner of a Gibby LP Custom and an all-original Vintage '62 Fender Jag

Quote by richwatkinson
Give 10 UGers a rope and ask them to pull. 4 will push, 1 will ask for buttsecks, 2 will tell you get an Ibanez and the last 3 will start complaining about Line6 Spiders.
Les Pauls would work fine. HEndrix's strat often went through so many effects that you probably couldn't tell it was a strat at first listen. It's the clean Hendrix that will be your downfall. You absolutely NEED single coil neck and middle pups for that.
My Gear:
Fender Japan Strat (80s)
Gibson SG Standard
Epi Goth Explorer (FAV)
Fender HotRod DeVille
Ibanez TS-9
Akai Wah Pedal
Quote by SHANANDO

Seriously, this sounds like a pussy squable from Saved By The Bell or some **** like that.

Page 1 of 2